Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Don't end up like this guy. Watch your chartplotter for rocks. He was doing 20 knots upon impact. Split the hull down the middle almost to the transom on a nice 24 Seasport.

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 259
Went out last night for a night bite with J- Global in his beatiful brand new 28 foot Kingfisher. We fished off Blunden Island in about 65 feet of water with our gear down 30-50 feet. We came home with a decent coho, a 21 and 15 pound spring. Lost another decent spring beside the boat and had numerous shakers and bites. We were using a small green spoon that you can only get in Seattle and an anchovie brined in this blue stuff. Both were hot but the spoon might have been slightly hotter. Thanks J-Global, what a beautiful boat and you are clearly a pro. You made my trip to Tofino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out last night for a night bite with J- Global in his beatiful brand new 28 foot Kingfisher. We fished off Blunden Island in about 65 feet of water with our gear down 30-50 feet. We came home with a decent coho, a 21 and 15 pound spring. Lost another decent spring beside the boat and had numerous shakers and bites. We were using a small green spoon that you can only get in Seattle and an anchovie brined in this blue stuff. Both were hot but the spoon might have been slightly hotter. Thanks J-Global, what a beautiful boat and you are clearly a pro. You made my trip Tofino!

That's pretty great that you've been able to get out a couple times even with your boat in the shop. Gotta like how friendly this forum is sometimes.

That's pretty great that you've been able to get out a couple times even with your boat in the shop. Gotta like how friendly this forum is sometimes.
Yeah both guys I got out with we're great guys that gave me some new tips and we had a great time catching fish. Tough to not have fun when's there constantly fish on. And yes, this forum is absolutely awesome! Without it, I would've been down on the docks begging guys to let me come out and pay for gas. I'm also really glad I spoke up on here, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", as they say.

Yeah, poor guys. Boat is a writeoff, fishing trip over and some minor injuries.......

Yeah, poor guys. Boat is a writeoff, fishing trip over and some minor injuries.......

Yup....saw that boat on the ramp first thing on Thursday morning. Had my head underneath it and also noted the damage to the glass, glad to hear injuries were just minor.

Shore fishing

Thought I would give a try from shore.
One spring to shore and one lost in about one hour. the spring was about 7-9 lbs. evening flood. The big one got away....

Thought I would give a try from shore. ..One spring to shore and one lost in about one hour. the spring was about 7-9 lbs. evening flood. The big one got away....
Cool stuff!!

Catching a Spring from ashore anywhere is quite an accomplishment!

Went out last night for a night bite with J- Global in his beatiful brand new 28 foot Kingfisher. We fished off Blunden Island in about 65 feet of water with our gear down 30-50 feet. We came home with a decent coho, a 21 and 15 pound spring. Lost another decent spring beside the boat and had numerous shakers and bites. We were using a small green spoon that you can only get in Seattle and an anchovie brined in this blue stuff. Both were hot but the spoon might have been slightly hotter. Thanks J-Global, what a beautiful boat and you are clearly a pro. You made my trip to Tofino!

We shoulda had a couple more, but I was slow to the rod a few times.

Fished yesterday and today as well, all inside. Lots of big fish coming in now. Today I was cleaning a 26 when a guide pulled in with its twin @ 26.

Highlight (size) was a 38 yesteday I got on a Money Hootchie. First Tyee on the new boat. I had constant action on the funky green spoon my son picked out, but smaller springs (15-20lbs) and a ton of Coho. Switched up to Money and pulled in the 38 yesterday and a 26 today on it. I was fishing on my own, and landing them was exciting. Apologies to anyone if I got in the way of your troll. Both had Huge herring in them (a guide at the dock called them horse herring?).

The most exciting fight was a spring probably around 20# that had the hook in its side. I thought it was going to be a monster the way it took extremely long powerful runs.

We shoulda had a couple more, but I was slow to the rod a few times.

Fished yesterday and today as well, all inside. Lots of big fish coming in now. Today I was cleaning a 26 when a guide pulled in with its twin @ 26.

Highlight (size) was a 38 yesteday I got on a Money Hootchie. First Tyee on the new boat. I had constant action on the funky green spoon my son picked out, but smaller springs (15-20lbs) and a ton of Coho. Switched up to Money and pulled in the 38 yesterday and a 26 today on it. I was fishing on my own, and landing them was exciting. Apologies to anyone if I got in the way of your troll. Both had Huge herring in them (a guide at the dock called them horse herring?).

The most exciting fight was a spring probably around 20# that had the hook in its side. I thought it was going to be a monster the way it took extremely long powerful runs.

Great Update Great Fishing....Bigger Chinook are showing up the last few days.

I was out friday-sunday... was able to manage limits, but no spring broke 14 pounds, average was 8 pounds. I had a guide boat stop by asking if we had any luck, apparently the odd good report above is what I was seeing at the dock, lots of small fish with the odd boat pulling a teen or 20 plus pounder. I would not say the larger fish are rolling in, rather sitting way offshore to stay out of the warm waters. Lots of mackerel and sunfish floating around out front.

Just got back from spending the weekend with Finished Business, Trendsetter, and their buddy Cam. We all had a fun time, caught some fish, drank some beer, and ate like kings. Saturday was a little slow for us in the salmon department but Sunday was better for sure. Managed a ling cod, a couple of small halibut, one nice spring, some smaller springs, and a couple of coho.

Here is a shot of the guys with a nice spring that FB caught.

IMG_2673.jpg

We got some gopro video as well that should be pretty cool.

Needle fish hootchies in glow white, red and glow white, and glow army truck seemed to work down low and around 45' up top. We had a bit of a detour on the weekend and the Sculpin was in Bamtown for a few minutes :rolleyes: lol:D.

Anyways it was a fun trip and thanks for the great comradery and laugh's guy's. I look forward to it again sometime. Good luck on your charter out of Ukee today.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Went tonight for a night fish with Hit Em Hard out of Uke. Awesome evening, brought two home around 12 pounds from Red Can and Beg Island, shook off another 5 or 6 coho and smaller springs, probably had another 5 or 6 good strikes that never stuck. Saw a couple nice humpys surface near Red Can also. Pretty good for 4 hours out there. Thanks for taking me out Hit Em Hard! Awesome boat, you run it like a pro.

Thanks for the kind words Joe. Had a great time fishing with you and hope that we can do it again at some point. Also hope your boat is ready for you soon.

h.e.h.

Just spent 4 days fishing tofino. Had a blast. had to weed through lots of tiny chinook but did manage to land these hogs. Both were shallow out at 3 humps. Both caught around 6 at night after everyone else headed in. We never did get the inside fishing dialed in that great but did manage to get our share of ho's. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343080733.151760.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343080759.698425.jpg

First was a 36lb and second was 30. Great little town and great people. Stayed at tofino swell and it was awesome. Can't wait to get back next year.

[/QUOTE]Stayed at tofino swell and it was awesome. Can't wait to get back next year.[/QUOTE]

We must have moved out the day you came. Nice folks and locale. Nice fish!

Back