TM185M transducer questions?

barkerfam

Currently using a garmin 1040xs with a 600 watt transom mount CHIRP transducer on my trophy 2002. I fish mainly for salmon, but occasionally for bottom fish. Never fishing deeper than 300 feet.

Questions:
Am I going to have better resolution with the increased power (kw vs 600w) or just more depth?

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this transducer, and will you share?

Will this allow better bait finding at speed? - ie, running out to the highway and trying to find bait at 25 mph.

Thank you!

Howard

I put this link on another thread but perhaps you’ll find it helpful:

http://www.airmartechnology.com/bottom-calculator.html

Regarding “better resolution”—- I was out on the water today with a transom mount 600W 50/200 . Mounted inside the boat is a 1Kw 50/200—. Just for grins, I switched cords back and forth multiple times between the two x-duckers to see if the resolution was better——yes, definitely clearer with the 1Kw—-you’re throwing more power on target

Regarding your desire to find a transducer that will help you find bait “at speed”—-

What I’m going to say is just my opinion, ok???? Some guys have different experiences then me.....but I’m thinking that if you really want to find fish at speed a transom-mounted transducer is NOT the way to go. You’re much better off with an in-hull(a shoot-thru) or better yet, a thru-hull / flush mount

Reason: very difficult to get a transom mount that holds picture at speed due to “dirty water” (bubbles etc) coming off the trailing edge of the bottom of your boat. I have two transom mounts and I generally lose picture once I hit 3,500 RPMS. Now my flush-mount—-totally different story—-absolute crystal clear picture at wide open throttle, even in big seas...

The yellow box in the picture below has an M260 inside—-excellent in-hull 1Kw transducer——holds bottom at wide open throttle.

The flush-mount (thru-hull) next to it—-is a. B175HW “Chirp”. ——crystal clear pictures at any speed:

.5805888E-2EA4-43EB-9D89-8374026B54C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently using a garmin 1040xs with a 600 watt transom mount CHIRP transducer on my trophy 2002. I fish mainly for salmon, but occasionally for bottom fish. Never fishing deeper than 300 feet.

Questions:
Am I going to have better resolution with the increased power (kw vs 600w) or just more depth?

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this transducer, and will you share?

Will this allow better bait finding at speed? - ie, running out to the highway and trying to find bait at 25 mph.

Thank you!

Howard

Hello- I just installed that exact transducer on my Arima 22 ft legend. I was stunned at how great it worked. I have an Evinrude 200 hp G2. At 35 mph, I was able to see the bottom clearly at 400 ft. Cruising at 20 mph, bait on the bottom was easily seen. Exceeded my expectations.

Al

Thank you both.

Although I know that a thru hull will work better, it’s not a very practical thing to do on my boat.

Appreciate the feedback and the expertise!

Back