Tired of Canadian Retailers : (

My boyfriend was looking at Can-am quads (which I think are made by Bombardier) which are made in canada, but you buy in the states you get three yr warranty but in canada you get two, wtf.

off to blaine tomorrow

island hood extract fan USA $1100 bucks CAN $1600
go figure same company shipped to blaine $120 and $15 for handling at the warehouse?

then even if we pay the HST duty its still cheaper

will let you know how we got on

https://www.kinek.com/ is the company i used to have my stuff shipped to free sign up via email

How did you make out with Kinek?
I have friends that use ship happens.

I dont know what the final prices were he stopped shopping down there when he found out the warranty was void once he brought it over the border.

It seems to me that the US and Canadian companies a long time ago decided that Canada will pay 10-20% more for most everything, regardless of where it is made - end of story. The longstanding higher value of the US dollar has partilly contributed to this, but now as we know when the Canuck dollar is worth more, very few prices change. When Canadian consumers get really upset, the fed. govt. looks into it, and the big companies give a bunch of half-true mumbo jumbo answers supported with some voodoo economics and everyone walks away confused. The very same thing happens with the price of gasoline. Unfortunately for us, big business figures that Canadians as a culture are much more defferential than Americans are so they gouge us on prices and then come up with rules regs and policy to keep us from buying too much stuff directly from the States - so much for Free Trade! It is free trade for big business only. :mad:

Guys, the US has 300M people, we have 39M. They have lower labor rates than us. They sell far more volume than we do. They have economies of scale we don't. I don't see large business's turning higher profits in Canada than American companies. If all our companies were doing that much better as a result of charging higher rates on goods, every investor on earth would be putting every investment dollar into Canadian companies. The fact is, we're not as efficient as the US, or, our standard of living is simple higher. As a result, our costs are higher, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. We expect more, we pay more. Do you know how many people in the US don't have health insurance or haven't been to a dentist once in their life? Thats a cost they save. There is a cost to living in this great country and I think its well worth it. That being said, we all buy from time to time in the US. However, if everyone took that approach, I think our economy might start shrinking which would lead to all sort of problems on the macro economic level.....

well said pescador, but, as a duel citizen with residence down south, and many friends to go with (that work in labor), I can tell you that they are at par, if not above our labor rates...

maybe its the circle I run with but this seems to be the case, I often find myself saying, Damnn I wish I made that up here....

great points otherwise..

I would like to see businesses like shaw and bell and telus shut down the yank telecommunications companies slay ours.

How did you make out with Kinek?
I have friends that use ship happens.

ended up being a good day out got the 6.20 ferry from the sunshine coast
drove with the gps all the way to the USA border and had to do a bit of paper work due to us being landed status

UK expats and got to the place within mins the only prob there is USA cash only no credit cards

but just down the road is a ATM where we got some monies and went back got the parcels and started the trip back home via army and navy......lol wonder what i got more fishing stuff...

we ended up paying $15 for the parcel and $10 skid/ pallet so we did not have room for the skid/ pallet to take it away

at the border we payed $160 for the duties

so at the end of the day we had a day trip out and where still under the $1600 for the fan hood

the usa price was $1100 we also got the chimney extension which they don't do for the Canadain market

so if there is a next time will order several items so they can be picked up at once

If Canadian costs are higher than in the US then why can I buy Canadian made products for less in the US than in Canada?? :(

If Canadian costs are higher than in the US then why can I buy Canadian made products for less in the US than in Canada?? :(

I saved almost 40% buying new tires for my car in WA state, and the tires are Michelin's, made in Canada!

Guys, the US has 300M people, we have 39M. They have lower labor rates than us. They sell far more volume than we do. They have economies of scale we don't. I don't see large business's turning higher profits in Canada than American companies. If all our companies were doing that much better as a result of charging higher rates on goods, every investor on earth would be putting every investment dollar into Canadian companies. The fact is, we're not as efficient as the US, or, our standard of living is simple higher. As a result, our costs are higher, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. We expect more, we pay more. Do you know how many people in the US don't have health insurance or haven't been to a dentist once in their life? Thats a cost they save. There is a cost to living in this great country and I think its well worth it. That being said, we all buy from time to time in the US. However, if everyone took that approach, I think our economy might start shrinking which would lead to all sort of problems on the macro economic level.....

Brilliantly said. I'd like to add that non-transferable warranties across the border are put in place as another way of protecting our economy. I mean, you work in Canada, you hope/expect people to come to your place of business and spend money to support your wage, and then you go spend your income on products in the States...how does that work?! Of course, we all do what we can and I'm definitely guilty of buying cheaper products from other countries. Naturally we want the most out of our dollar but that's just the reality.

That said, as I think others have already mentioned, if you need something that is only available in the States, use Seawings. They are a shipping company with a location in the airport and also in Washington. Their rates are very reasonable. You just make them your US address and they do the rest, no bull**** UPS fees and whatnot. I do my best to only use them/buy from the States when the thing I want is just not available in Canada.

Brilliantly said. I'd like to add that non-transferable warranties across the border are put in place as another way of protecting our economy. I mean, you work in Canada, you hope/expect people to come to your place of business and spend money to support your wage, and then you go spend your income on products in the States...how does that work?! Of course, we all do what we can and I'm definitely guilty of buying cheaper products from other countries. Naturally we want the most out of our dollar but that's just the reality.

That said, as I think others have already mentioned, if you need something that is only available in the States, use Seawings. They are a shipping company with a location in the airport and also in Washington. Their rates are very reasonable. You just make them your US address and they do the rest, no bull**** UPS fees and whatnot. I do my best to only use them/buy from the States when the thing I want is just not available in Canada.

Very well put. I agree with you and Pescador. We live in one of the greatest places in the world and we should have to pay for it. Families of 4 in the States pay around $1000 a month for their medical, which is ridiculous compared to what we pay. We just have to pay more for consumer items due to a way smaller tax base than them.

If everybody in Canada bought all their stuff in the States we would be in the same situation as Greece and some of the other European countries.

I saved almost 40% buying new tires for my car in WA state, and the tires are Michelin's, made in Canada!

X 2 - Goodyear trailer tires

What does economy of scale have to do with products that are made in Canada and are sold for less in the US than in Canada?

Something produced / made in Canada is only one component of its cost. You've got distribution, marketing, R&D, development costs etc that may or may not be done in Canada at potentially lower costs due to economies else where. Ya, I know, any way you cut it it still seems like we're getting ripped, but, the cost of something has to be based on its true cost to produce plus a reasonable mark up or else someone else will take your market. Thats at least the theory of how pricing strategies are supposed to work.

I don't have a problem paying fair market value. I also prefer to shop locally. I always give my local retailers the opportunity to at least come close to another advertised price. But what doesn't make any sense is that the same product manufactured in Canada is 30% less in the States. This shows me that their bottom line is flexible and the set are prices higher. If they think that we should get the "special price" then depending on the price spread I will make my purchases accordingly.

I don't have a problem paying fair market value. I also prefer to shop locally. I always give my local retailers the opportunity to at least come close to another advertised price. But what doesn't make any sense is that the same product manufactured in Canada is 30% less in the States. This shows me that their bottom line is flexible and the set are prices higher. If they think that we should get the "special price" then depending on the price spread I will make my purchases accordingly.

I totally agree, despite all the good reasons pescador mentions, there is still something wrong here. Bottom line is that businesses see/have an opportunity to make more $ and get away with so they do it - plain and simple.

I think most of us will accept a premium of 10, maybe up to 15%, and still shop at home, but when we are talking 40% or more, I don't think that any of the issues mentioned (economy of scale, wages, etc.) can justify it.

Yeah completely agree, but unfortuantely its never 10 - 15% . I think that is what drives people South. Its 12% just in taxes if you had it shipped from any state other than Washington and they don't collect it at the border

Back