Tight kicker help!!

RiverBoy

Well i just picked up a nice new to me Yammy F-8 tiller controlled kicker to replace my old, but perfectly running Johnny 2stroke 8 hp. turns out now i’ve got clearance issues galore with this new kicker. the tiller handle is offset to the left and it will be next to impossible to turn the boat to starboard.

i was thinking about shortening my steering arm, move the kicker even closer to the main and leave it connected and just have the handle straight up and down. This way they turn in unison and there shouldn’t be any issues( not that i can foresee) but when i’m running under power on the main, any turns may still be impeded by the tiller arm making for an extremely dangerous situation.

so i am kinda stumped. Any thoughts? . I have to lead out by stating i HATE EZ Steer and will never again own one, and i really really do not care for the garelick adjustable style kicker brackets either.

any insight would be appreciated1874B804-1FAB-49EF-89A7-7ED8758D3D41.jpeg

Is your kicker on a bracket or attached directly to the transom? There are some great one piece aluminum ones out there, but you better install it in the right place.

Is your kicker on a bracket or attached directly to the transom? There are some great one piece aluminum ones out there, but you better install it in the right place.

right to the transom. i like to use the tiller handle to troll but i may have to retire that

Last edited:
right to the transom. i like to use the tiller handle to troll

Hey RB, same boat. When I’m on the troll, I run my kicker arm vertical but it is attached with a bar to my main motor. When I’m running the main, kicker is tilted up and rotated with the prop to port.

Hey RB, same boat. When I’m on the troll, I run my kicker arm vertical but it is attached with a bar to my main motor. When I’m running the main, kicker is tilted up and rotated with the prop to port.

yes i could live with that. have to walk back to deal with speed adjustment or perhaps get an ez troll or something...that’s a thought actually...but anyways free steering/ turning is more importanter!

look forward to your pics

Have the same issue with a new YamahaT9.9 tiller I want to hang on the transom of an old DE. My plan is to make a simple jackplate from angle aluminum and raise the motor about 4 ", high enough so that the engine clamps are above steering arm . This should allow me to move the engine as far as I can towards the main motor without interference from the steering arm. Fortunately I have enough length in the kicker leg to still be at the proper depth in the water. It won't be perfect for tiller steering the kicker but hopefully it will be just as good or better than it was for the 2 stroke kicker I'm replacing.

Put my T9.9 on the other side as I run the 9.9 with left hand. Works great when mooching.

Note the set back one piece bracket.

The T9.9 is the XL with 30 inch lower unit.

IuXmfZr.jpg

b6OMIzs.jpg

The 200 Main is also set back.

zbieC1U.jpg

I sit on the fish box when running the T9.9.

There is a digital Lowrance and a Garmin chart plotter at the helm, but I like the old school flasher when mooching. Flasher and rod tip in view at the same time when running the T9.9. Had this old Lowrance way back in the 1980's on my 17 foot Whaler. Learned how to read the bait and fish by the flasher pings. 300 foot unit but it will read more if you count the revolutions.

J99CIPU.jpg

Last edited:
Could move it back a bit on a solid aluminum bracket and use a Minn Kota extension on the tiller, might give you enough clearance to turn. Could be a bit of a bear if it’s not electric start power tilt. I use the extension on ours all the time, works great.

I have no problem with the handle straight up. Tie bar steering setup is easy when both motors are transom mounted. I fabricated an aluminum arm for the kicker a straight extension bar for the main. Made up a short steering rod using 3/8” SS reddi rod, one swivel fitting & a standard ball joint disconnect available from pretty much any chandler.
With 8’ beam, I have a bit more room than you, but it looks like it’d work.
If my main failed & I had to limp home on the kicker, docking wouldn’t be fun without crew to shift into reverse, but otherwise, I’m happy with the arrangement.
I gave up on the thought of tiller steering early as I don’t fish alone often.

Last edited:
Back