Tie bar kicker steering question?

kingblazer84

So my tie bar setup on my boat 90 Honda an 9.9 yammy steering the starboard side the kicker touches the main before it’s even maxed out but steering to port it’s perfectly spaced and even. Now is this a adjustment issue usually or is it a fitment of the 2 motors is too tight? The kicker is on garelick mount and is lowered down 1 notch

Attachments

• 6F2BF1B4-B7BF-4149-9DA6-EB09F562DBEF.jpeg
    6F2BF1B4-B7BF-4149-9DA6-EB09F562DBEF.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 125
  • AA2D681E-EB63-4C5C-BDE7-AF4E9C81A79B.jpeg
    AA2D681E-EB63-4C5C-BDE7-AF4E9C81A79B.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 122
So my tie bar setup on my boat 90 Honda an 9.9 yammy steering the starboard side the kicker touches the main before it’s even maxed out but steering to port it’s perfectly spaced and even. Now is this a adjustment issue usually or is it a fitment of the 2 motors is too tight? The kicker is on garelick mount and is lowered down 1 notch
I think you need to add a small piece of flat aluminum to the kicker to get the bar more inline with the main

Those adjustable kicker brackets put the kicker too far back. I built a fixed mount for mine to keep it at the correct height always, and as close to the boat transom as possible. Mine's a extra long leg so you might not have the leg length to do that.

You could also put a tie-bar from the back of the cowlings, as they are closer to being in the plane.

Yeah it’s odd the cowling from my 90 touches the cowling from the 9.9 almost as if I don’t have enough space between the 2 of them.. I’m tempted to put a fixed mount further over might have to live with it for now and do the other mount next year..

Longer piece of rod and bend it like what is shown you can also put the ball on top of the bracket bending metal to make it fit is the best route, also put a coating like that guys and put a torpedo float on it as once you have it perfect you dont want to lose it over board.

They're a little pricey but the e-z steer connectors work really good. I had problems with a kicker bracket sticking out too far back on a K and C i own. The only good option was the ez steer off the back of the upper legs.

Those adjustable kicker brackets put the kicker too far back. I built a fixed mount for mine to keep it at the correct height always, and as close to the boat transom as possible. Mine's a extra long leg so you might not have the leg length to do that.

You could also put a tie-bar from the back of the cowlings, as they are closer to being in the plane.
Second this. I fought mine for years trying to get it sorted. Eventually made it work with EZ Steer. Then repowered and had trouble all over again with the Etec lower and upper cowlings both causing trouble. Could. Not. Make. It. Work.

Finally I accepted that the adjustable kicker bracket had to go. It pushed the kicker way far back from the cowling. I mounted the Etec on a jack plate which pushed it 6" back from the transom, and had hopes that would help even things up, but was not to be. Built myself a fixed mount and at last the tie bar works. My transom is a weird too wide/too narrow pattern but I have to make the best of it.

One other thing. Simple geometry says you won't get truly parallel action unless the distance from steering pivot point to tie bar connector fitting is the same on both motors.

Back