Thunderjet versus Lifetimer

saltydawg

Really really liking the 17' Thunderjet at Sherwood Marine. Anyone been out in the chop in one of these?

Anyone else comparing them to Lifetimer?
Would love to buy one of these. Just need to redeem a few more empties.

Why would you want to use a flat bottom river boat with a jet engine in "the chop" Boats like this are great for rivers and calm lakes, but unless you like to pound your brains out, or go real slow you don't want to take a boat like this off the west coast.

If you want a good offshore aluminum boat get a SilverStreak, Northwest Aluminum Craft, Eaglecraft, or Ironwood, etc.

The one I saw is definately west coast worthy
Sherwood had a couple of custom deep v models made up. Heavy aluminum. very nice finishing. I thought $35,000 with Yam power and trailor wasn't bad.
The larger 22' at $65,000 is out of reach.
I've seen one out front of Sooke. Looked wierd on the water but up close it's mighty fine.
I'd rather buy Canadian but the only similar product for guage of metal and finishing is Lifetimer(more $$$$)
Go to the Vic boat show this weekend and tell me they aren't perfect. (I should get a commission for this)

While were talking aluminum....does anyone have thoughts on Harbercraft? I know there from the interior.

I've got a 16' Harbercraft that I bought last summer. Absolutely no regrets buying it. I was looking at the 16' Double Eagle but like the lighter weight of aluminum and the 30 gal built-in tank. It's easy to tow and still feel safe in moderate seas off of Sooke. The front end is a bit light so it tends to bounce a bit.

They've got some of the Thunderjets at the Vic Boat show. The 1/2 hard top makes it hard to fit into a regular garage.

looked at the thunder jet today at boat show, they look alot nicer than the harborcraft, nice deepV, pod on back tons of room cant compare to lifetimer but nice boat if you got the money, but for they money you want you can get into a new double eagle , just depends on what your looking for, lots to chose from outta my price range anyways lol:D

Thunderjet is a fine sled. Others to consider would be Motion Marine (my fav), Northriver, and Precision Weld.

All offer top notch construction in deep-v and river-v jet or prop configurations. One word of caution regarding jetsleds in the salt (deep-v's or otherwise) and the open bow pit. Most will hold 1000-1200bls of water when filled with a good wave.

We lose a couple of open-bow every summer or so to that exact occurance. Even with enlarged scuppers the is no way she will drain out before the next wave swamps your now heavy bow. Most 18-20ft sled have a max load rating of 1100-1200lbs -filling the bow just put you offer the max load by 700-800lbs depending on pax and gear load. Once the bow fills your prop will likely be out of the water or darn near so now way power up to lift the bow before next wave.

Many have fab'd some kind of cover out of Top-Gun fabric or wood/alum cover as insurance again that emergency - they work very nicely.

Do not run away from sled purchase, just take the appropriate safety precautions. I logged over 600miles in the salt with my 18 and 20ft Motion Marines before upgraded to the Grady. They are a great all around boat.

www.motionmarine.com

I was attracted to the Thunderjets at the boat show too. I looked them over and thought they were a good boat for the money. It wasn't until I stood in front of the boat and looked at it bow on that I began to have second thoughts. From that angle it looks to me like they still haven't quite got all the river out of the hull. Course I'm willing to be proved wrong--buy one and take me for a ride!:) I did pick up a Navionics chip for my new sounder but that was the only purchase I made.
T2

Have spent a fair amount of time in a HarberCraft 2425 kingfisher and they are superb boats. Don't know what you mean by a rough ride we have been through some tough water with that boat and in my books they are hard to beat..
One of our members (beak) runs the 2425 Kingfisher his father runs a 2825 they are both exceptional boats..
They are interior built boats actually they are built in Sylvan lake Alberta and are sent to the interior for rigging but these boats are designed for the west coast.. Now their river boats are a different story but they are just that river boats,, don't confuse them with the kingfishers...

I was impressed with the 21" Thunderjet. Big stand-up top with lots of room, couple of side benches and lots of room at the back. Down side was no cuddy and no storage.. Im with Tsquared, i would like to see it perform in the big seas...

I think if you are questioning the saltwater capabilities you might want to look at the offshore series from thunder jet ,they have much higher sides, we just ordered the 17 ft with the offshore bracket for the fraser Valley boat show, seems likea pretty ssolid little boat, me and my brother have been fishing the saltwater off of his open power bolt and it is more than sufficient. if you have any questions please feel free to fire away at me.

Point well taken about open bow boats. I have a Sea Ray bowrider (yes people point and laugh when I'm fishing in the saltchuck, but it catches fish), I have a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to fit under the bowcover for when I'm on the Ocean. Went right through the face of a big roller heading home after dark last summer (fish were biting, couldn't bring ourselves to leave when we should've [xx(]), and it shed off no problem. We'd have been ****ed without the plywood.

Don't the open bow thing scare your away - Just take the smart precautions to aviod the issue.

My neighboor has a 22ft Thunderjet with the V8-Hamilton Pump and fishes it in the salt all summer long. Last June we had a Northriver open bow with the deep-v and prop follow us 25 miles straight our from Cape Beal is so really sporty conditions and all summer long all manner of jetsleds and deep-v open bows run 20-25mile for halibut and further for tuna without incident.

It's like everything in the salt, pick your days, have your safety equipment, and be smart.

I hope Sherwood has overcome the problems in their service dept. My new boat had numerous problems. For example they had installed the wrong drive. I am an easy going guy but when I have to call down to States to get action on a brand new boat the gloves come off.

I checked out the ThunderJet at the boat show... I was impressed overall. My only possible negative was the floor in the boat. I'm pretty sure it is plywood covered by lino. I think a better option would be a more durable aluminum floor. Perhaps you can custom order that feature.

Tight Lines!

the aluminum floors are an option ,typically people dont want to spend the $$$$ for them. the wood floors are treated and are 5/8 bottom, thicker than any others inb the industry.

quote:Originally posted by Backatit

Point well taken about open bow boats. I have a Sea Ray bowrider (yes people point and laugh when I'm fishing in the saltchuck, but it catches fish), I have a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to fit under the bowcover for when I'm on the Ocean. Went right through the face of a big roller heading home after dark last summer (fish were biting, couldn't bring ourselves to leave when we should've [xx(]), and it shed off no problem. We'd have been ****ed without the plywood.
\
would you post a pic or two or email me nzcdn at hotamil I'd like to see how you did this as I have a bayliner bow rider that I'd like to fit a cover for the front when fishing - thanks

As Walleyes mentioned earlier on this post I run the 2425 Kingfisher and have no complaints except that I haven't outfitted it with trim tabs yet. The only problems ive ran into is she so light in the water that its a bit hard docking in any kind of wind or current .But she's a quick tub with the 225 merc on the back and light on gear and fuel running a 19in prop we can get around 42 knots GPS'S. My dad runs the 2825 Kingfisher and its twice the boat as far as handling rough water definatly worth the little added investment.

Back