Thru hull transducer

Confused

Anyone mounted a thru hull like this? Pitfalls?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656442037064.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656442037064.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 96
  • FB_IMG_1656442003392.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656442003392.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 96
probably a lot of air bubbles in that location, corner of hull.
How about right in front of the engine.
if in the middle it will shoot straight down, whereas on the side it will heave up and down, not pointing straight to the bottom.

All you can do is try hopefully its a angle one to accommodate not being on a a flat surface? you can always change it

probably a lot of air bubbles in that location, corner of hull.
How about right in front of the engine.
if in the middle it will shoot straight down, whereas on the side it will heave up and down, not pointing straight to the bottom.
Transom mount transducers do this anyway, heave up and down, and they seem to be effective.

I don't know how you plan on fastening that,but can you make a wedge shim to make it point down more vertically?

yes dont do it. when it breaks you cant fix or replace it. use a transom mount before the outboard along centerline.

I knew you can buy airmar transducers set at differrent angles to suit the angle of the boat bottom,but didn't know you could adjust them internally.Is that something new?

I knew you can buy airmar transducers set at differrent angles to suit the angle of the boat bottom,but didn't know you could adjust them internally.Is that something new?
No you’re right I don’t think I explained that quite right

that's what I have something with a angle built in . dont ask me the angle LOL but I know its there as I know i have about 5 seconds before I will be on that so called ball grabber of a reef ...

That's the only way we have ever done a thruhull transducer in an aluminum boat

I’m going on my 5-th season with a Furuno DFF3D triple-beam mounted off the transom. I had the same transducer on my last boat welded to the engine bracket. The picture below is the DFF3D install on my current boat. Yes, it loses its picture at 2,4000 + RPM but I was prepared for that when I installed it.

Furuno told me immersing it would kill it. They warned me it belonged inside the hull, not outside the hull. That was 5 years ago—-still going strong

It buys me fish and provides situational awareness when you’re getting up close and personal to rock piles in the intertidal zone

All the heart surgery in the picture below was me having to re-do the crappy install job the shipyard did—-those transducers have to be shimmed to shoot straight down

Regarding the pictures of the install from OP: as mentioned by some of the posters above, that location will be subject to not only bubbles and “dirty” water going across the face but also rocking from passing boats. It also looks like it should be shimmed though it’s hard to confirm without seeing it’s actual attitude relative to the bottom once the boat is in the water

B3D2D9AA-D875-4BCA-A5F9-A67E5B00F915.jpeg97D7588E-1960-4E98-BB7E-843A034C76C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back