Thompson River steelhead questions

Cuba Libre

quote:Rob Bison,

A couple of things. Saw the article on the poor run in the Vancouver Sun. It is the buzz around town. I tried to reassure people that each year is different and that your people had said that the cooler springs the past couple years could be very helpful.

Need to know if the possibility of an opening October 1 followed by an evaluation in November is still on the plate and where you stand. It has been debated at many levels and the consensus is an opening, especially just an October opening will not make a significant difference one way or the other regarding the future of the Steelhead.
What another closure will do is make a huge impact once again on the community of Spences Bridge and to a lesser degree the surrounding communities. How can fisheries justify a Sports Fishery closure that by their own numbers may save 20 to 30 fish when we continue to not address habitat, interception, and a more accurate fish count.

Finally, on the fish count issue.
I just had a meeting with Terry Raymond who informed me he has sent a letter to you asking if you would be interested in using Siska's fish wheel for our Steelhead count. Terry said Siska would do all the work, there would be NO COST. At our meeting we discussed the fish wheel as a better option than Albion or at the very least a valuable addition.
As Siska is applying for a grant to upgrade the fish wheel and would like a letter that states your interest in using the wheel I would think this is a no brainer. Terry said the grant had to be in by Friday.
Hopefully, your office can send a letter of interest and support for their grant today or tomorrow. When First Nations extends their hand in cooperation it would be a shame to not accept such a wonderful offer...especially considering the state of the Steelhead and the controversy that surrounds the Albion Steelhead count.

Please let me know your thoughts as all of Spences Bridge seems to be in the dark on a lot of this and transparency is important to a community that continues to struggle with a declining "Rural BC". The Steelhead is what we have hung our hat on for decades...its significance CANNOT BE OVERSTATED!

Steven W. Rice

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back