Thinking about building a dock

Fisherman Rob

Anybody know if using pressure treated 3x2x8 built-up beams is an issue in salt water? Thinking of something approx 8'x18'. For the bracing and cross bracing, I'm wondering about using landscape ties, thinking that they might be better than 2x8 on the flat, but I'm not sure of their structural properties.

Dock1.JPG

Dock2notes.JPG

Last edited:
ive built a few swimfloats, 8 x 12 ish. ive always used 3.5x"3.5" and timbers or 3.5"x8's for the frame work, then 5/4 round for the decking. everything pressure treated!

galvi carriage bolts and corner braces are your friend, skip the lags, they pull out eventually.

the last one is on its third year in howesound. it takes a beating! still kicking.

docks have to be built tough the waves destroy anything thats not

Just a thought, but have you looked into buying a used steel float from somewhere and just sheeting the deck with Cedar? Ive seen it done in some marinas before and it looks pretty sharp when finished. That might be a way to go if you're concerned with structural stability.....

thanks Rob for the blueprint! I need to build a new float as well and had no idea how to begin. That will work perfectly!

Hey Rob......... one suggestion is make it 10' wide.
The extra width will greatly add to the stability and
floatation...... you always end up storing things on
the dock. Also use the best materials available.
I've built lots of floats, send me your phone number
if you want to talk. Good luck!
Wayne

galvi carriage bolts and corner braces are your friend, skip the lags, they pull out eventually.
Good point Fixit. I'll use carriage bolts where possible. Like your use of kegs! They would probably make pretty good flotation, possibly even better than that white Styrofoam, which slowly disintegrates.

buying a used steel float from somewhere
Not sure pinball90, what kind of steel float do you mean?

That will work perfectly!
LOL, well please make sure you double check the buoyancy is about right! It may look like a blueprint, but at this point its just a quick draft in my.sketchup.com.

one suggestion is make it 10' wide
Yes I've been considering that. Wasn't sure how much more twisting force that would produce though. I'm thinking one of the biggest challenges is how to build this, and the bigger and heavier it gets, the harder it will be. I don't have access to heavy equipment, and I've got a fairly small beach space.

So far I haven't found any issue with PTBU beams in salt water...

ancient civilizations were able to move
mountains....its amazing what a little
leverage can do...!

I once moved a 12x20 shed 50' on 1" electrical conduit. Just jacked it enough to get the conduit and 2x12 planks under and rolled the whole thing 50' and 12' over. Worked prefect.

Back