Things we have lost? lol

Merrittboy

I know that I have LOST a few things while out fishing or even while docked because of carelessness or just plain stupidity including a $50 dollar net, sunglasses, rod holder, fish bonker, FISH and assorted other items.. Just wondering what other people have lost, including expensive items. I read where a guy lost his kicker motor the other day when he thought it was held tight but obviously wasn't, please share, should be fun (or sad). lol I don't want to talk about almosts!!!

Cannon balls to mysterious reefs in 200' of water:)
A fishing partner who has lost two clips in two trips???. Not sure how, but he has done it. I cannot remember losing a clip....
Sunglasses until I bought the neck holders.
And who has not done the attach the bait to the flasher, hold it over the side and see the action and them throw the whole thing over board to watch it sink out of sight[:0];)

While guiding out of Bamfield, watched TWO, yes TWO different boats lose downriggers to the reef of Kirby. Both were the old scottys and both were ripped right off the old plastic mounts.

I am sure there is more....

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

And who has not done the attach the bait to the flasher, hold it over the side and see the action and them throw the whole thing over board to watch it sink out of sight[:0];)

Ha ha......been there before Ken!! [:eek:)]

Sunglasses.....too many to count but you could open a Sunglass Hut franchise with all of the expensive glasses I have that are now being worn by crabs and bottom fish.

It wasn't "my" engine....but we were at a friend's cabin and we were out in their small tin boat havin' some pops and some laughs. Well my friend goes to fire up the engine (9hp or something like that) and it fires up and as he goes to chuck it into gear he had the throttle up like a moron. Well when it clicks into gear it bounces off the transom (mounts weren't even tightened) and drives it's way all the way to bottom. 3 of us were in tears laughing...and the dumb look on his face just added to the comedy.

I have an IPod sitting in the bottom of Howe Sound just off Pam Rocks.

2 point and shoot cameras also in Howe Sound over the years....and 1 near Kyuquot reef (I didn't drop the one in Kyuquot :( )

Also was sailing my old sailboat with some buddies one day...pretty casual sail and we had a ghetto blaster bungied to the mast (or so I thought); it would appear as though the "DJ" forgot the bungee part of the equation. Well first tack and the boat heels over and the tunes go sliding off the boat and sang their merry tunes right to the bottom. That one is sitting off the [:eek:)] east side of Gambier Island. I have donated a few musical devices to Howe Sound now that I think of it. [:eek:)]

If we are just talking about losing things in the water.....I have a 7 iron and a pitching wedge that are at the bottom of 2 different water hazards at Crown Isle on the Island.

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

I lost a cannonball to a tree that was below the surface like a deadhead. About a week later we noticed the currents had pushed it into shore and the wind had pushed it into about 50 feet of water. we retrieved a prawn trap and line from it and a flasher hootchie combo. No cannonball though.
I had a friend lose the top half of his rod down the line and then have the fish snap the line. Short while later we spotted it on the surface and retreived a 10-12 lber and the hook flasher but no rod.
We watched a guy launch his boat and his trailer popped off no chains etc and it headed deep into the lake, but he did get a local diver to retrieve it.
And I'm sure some of the guys I fish with think I have lost my mind when you lose a fish and start babbling about how you should have done it.

I love putting the first line in for the day, putting the clip on and throwing it over the side forgetting to clip the other end to the rigger.. actually lost several doing this in the summer when coho grabbed the line off the surface and my clip was flung off.

ive lost several sunglasses, couple cannon balls, 2 rod holders from guests pulling them straight out of the holder :(

img3937n.jpg

Buddy with False teeth one trip was Chumming the water with the results of being hung over and rough seas!

Yep ! Out went the false teeth to sink to the depths ..... way too funny for the other guys on board ........ then came out the comments .......

Why do ya think they call them Smileys !!

LOL

HT

while fishing off the breakwater with my dad when i was young, watched him make a big back swing and as he cast out there goes his nice new fillet knife
lost more than a few clip-on sunglasses that fit over my normal glasses

outboard motor - not 1, but 2! Top that. One time we were barrelling across from Quadra to Cortes and had just put the motor on the back without clamping down (in kicker spot) - hit a big wave, bye bye motor. 2nd time, at the dock on Cortes and proceeded to try to pass it onto the dock from the boat - boat had a bit too much slack from where it was tied off and I ended up doing a spread eagle and decided better I loose the motor than going for a swim AND lose the motor. At least with that one, my cousin dove down and retrieved it - little flushing and all was good.

Ah, the stupid things you do when you are under 20!

Many tools! Some snap-on to boot!

I got to a fishing spot one time, the bite was on, I was 20 years old and fired right up. I was using level wind reels at the time. I was in such a hurry to deploy the gear that I "casted" out the flasher but forgot to keep holding the rod.. bubble bubble. I didnt even have a third rod so had to fish with one rod until I borrowed one from one of the other lodge boats.

I had a tyee bleeding out in my transom well one time, it was rough and with a following sea, the well filled with water and out went the fish. My clients were really impressed.

There was more than one occasion where I dropped fish off the cleaning table.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

In too big a hurry to get gear down on a bite, rigged up a chov fired out the flasher to check the roll...opps forgot I was making a colour change on the flasher, had disconnected the first one and forgot to snap the newly rigged one to the line. Threw away flasher and chov i wanted fishing....done that more than once over the years.

2 cell phones, a seiko watch and so many cannonballs
it's a wonder there aren't more fish with lead poisoning. [:eek:)]

Islander MR2 X2, A Fat Gold Braclet, Cell Phones, Lead, Sun Glasses, A Wallet and My Mind.. Oh and my repect some times for the DFO.:)

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Islander MR2 X2, A Fat Gold Braclet, Cell Phones, Lead, Sun Glasses, A Wallet and My Mind.. Oh and my repect some times for the DFO.:)

2 mr2's? Unlucky..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

2 mr2's? Unlucky..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

No just guests misunderstanding to let the reel go and not the rod. One time. Then another time when a frind didn't put the rod back into the rod holder. A total miss.:(

Two leathermen, the end of a fishing rod, large fishing net, a couple of hats, a full day tank on the highway and the best one was a mercury cowling off a borrowed boat. We got it replaced before the owner got back from his trip.

Lost an iPhone 4 at sunny shores few weeks back, got knocked off belt clip when handing my tackle box to addicted. The best tho was at nitty when I caught a 32 lber and beached it and thought I released it and ran to help a buddy land a 45 and came back to grab rod off beach to find it missing. Bout 20 mins later my buddy caught my line and reeled it up an there she was my loomis and cutta and my fish I got to play for second time!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

In too big a hurry to get gear down on a bite, rigged up a chov fired out the flasher to check the roll...opps forgot I was making a colour change on the flasher, had disconnected the first one and forgot to snap the newly rigged one to the line. Threw away flasher and chov i wanted fishing....done that more than once over the years.

X2...nice to know I'm not the only stupid guy out there.:D

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back