There go's our winter chinook fishery

Hi all, Thought a few of you North of the border might be interested in this article in the Seattle Times. Looks like our winter chinook fishery on this side of the border is doomed. Once the Dept of Fisheries and the enviromentalist agree on something we are screwed again even though our licenses pay for the program. Audit: state pays $768 for every salmon caught
By CRAIG WELCH - The Seattle Times
tool name
close
tool goes here
SEATTLE Puget Sound's popular blackmouth fishery - made possible by a complex system of hatcheries that produce and rear these plump young versions of chinook salmon - costs $768 for every fish that's caught.
That's a calculation made by the state Auditor's Office in an audit released Friday of the state's politically popular key winter fishery.
Each year the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife produces hundreds of thousands of the juvenile salmon in hatcheries, then raises them for 14 months or more in ponds until they lose the instinct to migrate. Then the fish are released for fishermen to hook for sport.
But some of the same environmental conditions that helped push wild chinook onto the Endangered Species list - such as pollution and habitat loss from development - mean few of the young blackmouth live long enough to get snagged. And the many fishing restrictions imposed in response to the 1999 listing of wild chinook also scaled back chances for anglers to try to catch the hatchery chinook.
That means catch rates for blackmouth are such a fraction of what they once were that the state may produce 900 fish for every one an angler nets. And each of those 900 fish costs about 85 cents.
"They're expensive to raise - more expensive than most fish," said Heather Bartlett, atcheries division manager for Fish and Wildlife. "And their survival lately hasn't been very good."
The auditor's performance review suggested the program was so inefficient it must be changed, a charge Bartlett's agency doesn't dispute.
But the program's goals were dictated by legislative edict in 1993 as a means to sustain and promote sport fishing in Puget Sound. It's paid for by license fees derived from saltwater anglers, money that is dedicated to improving fishing. So as salmon listings have curtailed other angling opportunities, there's been little political will to cut back blackmouth production.
"Fishing used to be open unless we closed it," said Jo Wadsworth, Fish and Wildlife's deputy assistant director for fish. "Now it's closed unless we open it. And this is a unique fishery because it is open in winter when many other things are not."
Sport fishermen on Friday were immediately wary. The audit calls on the Legislature to change the law to let hatcheries produce far fewer and far younger fish - juvenile chinook that cost only about 11 cents each.
But that could reduce even further the number of fish available to be caught. And that frustrates longtime fishermen.
"Has this program always worked right? No," said Clint Muns, with Puget Sound Anglers. "But I think we've made great strides. The department's commitment to hatchery reform is without question."
Environmentalists, meanwhile, say the recommendation would be a step in the right direction, but they believe the auditor missed the key issue. They say blackmouth production should have been halted years ago because the large hatchery-bred fish are built tough and compete with threatened chinook for food.
"The financial issues absolutely must be considered," said Kurt Beardslee, with Wild Fish Conservation Northwest. "But I always hoped they would kill this program for biological reason - not just because we can't afford it."
Fish and Wildlife officials have said they support the auditor's recommendations.

Bondo, am i too believe they relese these fish at catchable sizes?? its kinda confusing on my end, are they released in Ocean, in river?? It would make more sense that these fish just zip around where released for Ocean fisherman to troll for and they feed on whatever is around?? please expand as this is interesting

quote:Originally posted by cammer

Bondo, am i too believe they relese these fish at catchable sizes?? its kinda confusing on my end, are they released in Ocean, in river?? It would make more sense that these fish just zip around where released for Ocean fisherman to troll for and they feed on whatever is around?? please expand as this is interesting
NO!

They keep these fish in "pens" until they lose their desire to migrate. The fish are larger. but they tend to stay in our local waters! That is "our" local "Blackmouth" fishery, so be it and "really" hasn't been that great the last few years... it has nothing to do with any of our "migrating" fish!

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Well it looks like my day for links.
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/PS_Blackmouth_history.htm
The question was, “Bondo, am I too believe they release these fish at catchable sizes??”

The answer to that question - is simply “NO”! These fish are “NOT” released at a catchable (meaning legally retainable) size! Those fish are retained in pens/ponds and not released until about 18 months old, which is the reason for the additional cost - basis for the article. They will become catchable/retainable under our regulations at 22 inches. That will take about 30 months for them to get to that size? If my math is correct… that is exactly “ONE YEAR” after they are released before they are retainable (give or take)?

Your link is to an article written 2001, based off a “Definition and Explanation taken from a 1997 WDFW pamphlet”? But, then again thanks for the link… it will at least backup the current article and issues involved? :)

And YES as Bondo Bill mentioned! This is "VERY MUCH" the “Puget Sound” “winter” Blackmouth fishery, period – end of subject! "There go's our winter chinook fishery" is very correct!

Thanks Charlie for stepping in on this topic. I am by no means a expert on our states hatchery program, but winter blackmouth fishing is my passion. About 10 years ago myself and a few others helped release 200,000 hold over chinook from the Long Live The Kings hatchery on Orcas Island ( only 8 miles from Saturna Island ). If memory serves me right these fish were anywhere from 6" to 12" long, quite a sight seeing these fish move down the short stream from the small lake they were reared in to the salt water. You would think survival rate would be fairly high on these fish because of their size. If the state stops this program it not only going to affect us on this side of the border but also our freinds to the north. These fish follow the feed, if it's in short supply in the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound they will find it elsewhere, I dont think they stop at the border. Charlie is right fishing for them lately hasn't been great but some years are definately better than others and the old saying that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish probably holds true when it comes to winter fishing. At least now we can go fishing knowing that we have a chance at catching one or two. If they stop this program it really doesn't matter if they let us fish 12 months out of the year, if there is nothing out there why bother. Finally I would like to apoligize for my ramplings, and I probably should not have posted this topic in this forum, I realized after I had posted it that someone else had already posted under another forum.

great read... thx, has the cost of the 10$ surcharge ever gone up to reflect cost of feed increases??? Also, i seen on the news that grey whales are croaking down there due to starvation from " low levels of natural prey in Puget sound"?

Back