There go those fish and everything thats coming upstream is dead!

Tailings dam spills at Mount Polley and Mariana: Chronicles of disasters foretold
A public talk with Judith Marshall and Bruno Milanez
The 2014 tailings pond spill at the Mount Polley mine in central BC marked the single worst mining disaster in Canadian history. A year later, an even more horrendous spill occurred at the Mariana mine in Brazil, killing 19 people and leaving hundreds homeless, and contaminating a nearby river system. A recent Corporate Mapping Project report takes a close look at the mining disasters at Mount Polley and Mariana and reveals remarkable similarities in these disasters but also in the corporate, governmental and civil society responses afterwards.

Join us to hear from the report’s author, Judith Marshall, and Bruno Milanez (Mariana, Brazil) about what we can learn from these disasters about corporate power and influence.

This event is sponsored by: Corporate Mapping Project, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives – BC Office, University of Victoria and Wilderness Committee
https://www.ccpabc.ca/tailings_spills_vic

Really makes a person proud of our environmental record, doesn't it....:rolleyes::mad:

Sadder still is these types of outcomes have become the norm here in Canada. No accountability from government or industry whatsoever. What a sad example and legacy to leave our children with...

Last edited:
It is not the fact it happening it is the monitoring that is in question. Discharges all across BC go on all day long across industrial sites. It is the enforcement of the data they all supposed to keep as well as follow ups from MOE/MOM staff that don't happen. You can design the best engineered system in the world but you have to monitor it. I sure haven't seen any commitment from the Province to fix the current system since Clarke left. We have to get rid of all the subcontracting outsourcing to do this job by the ministry and get more staff. Otherwise its a disaster waiting to happen again. This article seems to miss that a bit.

Good point SV - in many parts of the Province monitoring is not done enough - or ignored.

However the other component is even more important IMHO - the "enforcement" end of "monitoring & enforcement". You can monitor until the cows come home - and it means nothing if there is no enforcement.

It wasn't like the Polley Mountain tailings failure wasn't noticed.

Corruption & politics negated that. Government & industry in bed together. Read back through this thread for the history on that.

Well that is awful. Hopefully, he is impeached or voted out prior to any real work starting.
ya it is, dradons. And, unfortunately not surprising, neither. I get really tired of hearing how the conservatives/republicans will look out for our interests and that means salmon. NOPE! Not that the liberal/democrats are much better - but lets be honest what this is really about. MONEY. $$$.

More specifically the money interests of who paid their campaign fees and advertising budget. Often they give a slight bit more to one side or the other - but that's only issue-dependent. Like what country or province those interests are. More specifically - where the resources are. Raw resources. Manufacturing. But really no industry that really depends upon salmon much - except for - Alaska!

Alaska will now get the same federal relief over the Chinese tariffs Trump instituted - like the farmers did. Done deal. Kill this resistance - and kill the story. Next image happy children shopping at Walmart. Maybe not Walmart in the States now - but something distracting....

and who owns the shares in the mine, now?

Some are blaming the missing sockeye this year on this. Probably will be the worst sockeye return this year in recorded history of the Fraser

Some are blaming the missing sockeye this year on this. Probably will be the worst sockeye return this year in recorded history of the Fraser
Fraser, Skeena, Cowachin, Somass, Wannock - the list goes on. The whole coast(as far as sockeye go).

late and small, I bet. The end of the run everywheres, as well.

Good catch Whitebuck! (pun intended). I never know who reads the posts - now I do. Well done. No sockeye in Cowichan - but some kokanee in the lake.

All trolling aside - been a bad year for sockeye up and down the Coast.

Back