There go those fish and everything thats coming upstream is dead!

Makes you wonder what the so called five Principal Conditions mean, probably not the paper its written on. Should be our responsibility to clean it up and slap a surcharge on mining activity to pay for it and all the other toxic sludge that industry just walks away from and lets the environment hold the bag.

Makes you wonder what the so called five Principal Conditions mean, probably not the paper its written on. Should be our responsibility to clean it up and slap a surcharge on mining activity to pay for it and all the other toxic sludge that industry just walks away from and lets the environment hold the bag.
Ya - it's the gift that keeps on giving, Terrin. Unfortunately typical BS corporate-world response. Create some shell "limited-liability" partnerships that give you some tax breaks - then walk away and declare bankruptcy when the sh*t hits the fan. Leave the mess for our kids and their kids to deal with. BUT.. as Chrusty Clarke says: "Jobs, jobs, jobs!"

I agree with you terrin, aa,
a disaster happens and they make up a few more rules and regulations to try to appease the general population. problem is the regulations usually were there in the first place. just no one enforces them or they look the other way to allow business to carry on as usual. as long as the industries lobbyists "donations" keep coming in, that's all that really seems to matter. the regulations don't seem to be worth the paper they're written on. looks good that they're there though... money should have to be put up front for these types of scenarios and for remediation before these projects take place.

This reminds me of the Socreds (Old Liberal Party) selling our most valued waterfront property in Downtown Vancouver to Li Ka Shing for 300 million then having taxpayers spend more than 300 million to clean up the dirt so he could build on it. It only seems to go their way.Genius. Oh and the Park we were supposed to get well the green lights are still burning and we are still waiting for it.

To my mind the entire mining industry should be paying into a fund for mining damage remediation. How come I've got to pay a green tax on everything from the grocery stores to the gas pumps, but these mining companies destroy fishing habitat and their paying dick all. If a company shuts down leachate could still be destroying fish habitat for a hundred years. The industry as a whole should be responsible for cleaning up all present and past pollutants and damage through an operating tax to fund repairing all the industry's damage they've created.

To my mind the entire mining industry should be paying into a fund for mining damage remediation. How come I've got to pay a green tax on everything from the grocery stores to the gas pumps, but these mining companies destroy fishing habitat and their paying dick all. If a company shuts down leachate could still be destroying fish habitat for a hundred years. The industry as a whole should be responsible for cleaning up all present and past pollutants and damage through an operating tax to fund repairing all the industry's damage they've created.
Guess it must be hard to pay a fee into clean-up - like the marine petroleum shipping industry - AND pay the BC Liberal party. Something has to give... Can't be the CEO's salary...

Back