There go those fish and everything thats coming upstream is dead!

http://www.kcaw.org/2015/02/26/state-considers-b-c-mines-as-promoters-plan-visit/

State considers B.C. mines as promoters plan visit
by Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska News
February 26, 2015 11:03 am

2-25-15 Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott sits at his desk, beneath the state seal 1 full
Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott sits at his desk, beneath the state seal Feb. 26. mallott heads up a new administration transboundary mines working group. (Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska News)

The Walker-Mallott administration announced Wednesday that it’s set up a working group to address the transboundary mining boom near Southeast Alaska. The news comes as British Columbia’s mine-regulation agency plans meetings with Alaska fishermen and tribal groups.

Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott head ups the working group, which includes commissioners of the state departments of Natural Resources, Environmental Conservation and Fish and Game.

It’s looking into longstanding concerns about British Columbia mines slated to open or reopen on rivers that flow through Southeast Alaska.

“We view the entire range of activity on that side, which can affect the waters and the habitat of those river corridors, as important to Alaska’s interests and to our national interests and we will engage and pursue that interest vigorously,” he says.

Mallott says the group is just getting started and is gathering information from regulators, critics and supporters.

00:0000:00
A new transboundary mines group, Inside Passage Waterkeeper, recently petitioned the administration to seek government-to-government talks with British Columbia’s premier.

The group wants the governor to ask for a moratorium on new tailings storage dams, including one being tested at the Red Chris Mine in the Stikine River watershed.

Mallott says he’s not yet ready to pursue any particular course of action.

“My desire is that we not seek specific responses until we understand fully what we are engaged with. But that doesn’t mean that anything is off the table, either,” he says.

B.C. Premier Christy Clark is an ardent advocate of mining. She’s added staff to the provincial mining agency to speed permitting, so new projects can open sooner.

British Columbia Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett. (Courtesy miningandexploration.ca)
Bill Bennett, her energy and mines minister, came to Anchorage in November to explain his government’s approach and actions.

He met with state officials and addressed Alaska’s mining association. But says he realizes he was not meeting with the right people.

“We need to make a second trip. Whether I go along on that trip or not is still up in the air. But we certainly need to reach out and give the people of Southeast Alaska an opportunity to meet and talk to our officials,” he says.

Bennett wants to engage fisheries and tribal groups, where provincial officials can explain their mine-review process. It’s unclear whether environmental groups will be included.

“We’re not really going to come to Alaska and be lectured,” he says.

Details of mine ministry’s visit, such as dates and locations, are not set.

But fishermen and tribal members are among those most strongly protesting mineral development near cross-border rivers.

“We would welcome Mining Minister Bill Bennett with open arms. That’s one thing that’s been lacking is consultation and transparency,” says Rob Sanderson Jr., who co-chairs the United Tribal Transboundary Mining Work Group and is a vice president of the Tlingit-Haida Central Council.

Both groups cite August’s Mount Polley tailings-dam breach in eastern British Columbia. A report reviewing what went wrong there estimated a similar dam would fail every five years, releasing hazardous water, silt and rock.

Sanderson says that raises questions about the future.

“We’re doing this to protect our environment for our children and grandchildren and the yet unborn. We want them to enjoy the same things that we are enjoying right now – pristine rivers and clean water,” he says.

State officials at a lower level are already talking to British Columbia’s mining ministry.

Department of Natural Resources Large Mine Project Manager Kyle Moselle says he urged staff to travel to Southeast when they met in Vancouver in January.

“The point that I made to them or stressed to them was that many of the stakeholders that I’ve talked with … feel frustrated or disenfranchised from British Columbia’s administrative process, their environmental review process,” he says.

British Columbia has also recommended the issue be put before the Pacific Northwest Economic Region. That’s a cross-border development think-tank.

Southeast Alaska Conservation Council Mining Coordinator Guy Archibald, who is also part of Inside Passage Waterkeeper, says that’s not the best approach.

“They’re an economic development organization and they don’t really have any working groups for environmental protection,” he says.

Meanwhile, the state’s new working group will meet again in a few weeks.

Lt. Gov. Mallott, its chairman, says while he hopes it will have an impact, it faces limits.

“Alaska has no triggers to pull that would allow immediate action,” he says.

Why is the company that hasn't the money to clean up polly mine and stabalize the flow of contaminates into the aquifer allowed tender to open another mine in BC? If they have no money for clean up ,Who to say they will put the money into the new mine at red chris?I see this in all trades ,least expencive bid usually gets the job at the cost of quality.

https://www.change.org/p/premier-ch...=des-lg-petition_update-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Petitioning Premier of BC Christy Clark and 4 others

Do not re-open Mount Polley mine

Clayoquot Action is watching closely how Imperial Metals handles their Mount Polley mine disaster—one of the biggest mining disasters in the world. Why? The same company has plans for 2 new mines right here in Clayoquot Sound.

On April 1st an application filed by Imperial Metals for a restricted re-start of its Mount Polley mine was accepted for formal review. The BC government announced a 30-day public comment will occur through the month, with a deadline of April 30. A decision on whether or not to issue the permits will be made in early June.

So many questions and concerns remain unanswered. It seems premature to re-open the mine when criminal investigations are still underway. The RCMP raided Imperial Metals’ Vancouver office in February. What if the mine were re-opened, and it later turned out that it was being managed by criminals?

Please take a moment to let British Columbia Premier Christy Clark know that you do not want to see Imperial Metals’ Mount Polley mine re-opened until the criminal investigations, the cleanup, and a long-term management plan incorporating the recommendations of the Mount Polley Review Panel are completed.

Letter to Premier of BC Christy Clark

Minister of Energy and Mines HONOURABLE Bill Bennett

Director of Mining Operations Ministry of Environment Hubert Bunce

and 2 others

Chief Mines Inspector Ministry of Energy and Mines Al Hoffman

Mount Polley Mining Corporation General Manager Dale Reimer

I am writing to you today to comment on the re-opening of Imperial Metals’ Mount Polley mine, site of one of the largest mining disasters in the world.

It is premature to re-open the mine while criminal investigations are underway, and the toxic tailings from the spill are not yet fully cleaned up.

Where is Imperial Metals’ long-term management plan which incorporates the recommendations of the Mount Polley Review Panel—which your government has committed to implementing in full?

Please restore our confidence in your government’s ability to manage extractive industries in British Columbia in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.

Please take a moment to let British Columbia Premier Christy Clark know that you do not want to see Imperial Metals’ Mount Polley mine re-opened until the criminal investigations, the cleanup, and a long-term management plan incorporating the recommendations of the Mount Polley Review Panel are completed.

Yet, Clark feels confident that the Province can take over oil spill response from the CCG. Hmmm.....ok...I follow....sounds rational.....lol.

Yet, Clark feels confident that the Province can take over oil spill response from the CCG. Hmmm.....ok...I follow....sounds rational.....lol.
Again - we are in agreement, Shuswap. The province does not have any more capacity than the feds do here. In fact (as far as I understand it), legally - there is only way the feds can de-volve their federal powers to the province - that is within a MOU - if that agreement does not breach Constitutionality. If it does (e.g. the Morton case) - that agreement is null and void - and "ultra vires" in legal jargon. Hard to believe Clark and the Province's lawyers don't already know this.

http://www.ktoo.org/2015/04/16/se-tribal-council-boosts-anti-mine-campaign/

SE Tribal council boosts anti-mine campaign

By Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska News

April 16, 2015

Alaska Native Culture, Energy & Mining, Featured News, Southeast Alaska, Syndicated

Tlingit-Haida Central Council President Richard Peterson addresses 2014’s tribal assembly. This year, he urged delegates to oppose transboundary mines.(Photo courtesy THCC)

Southeast Alaska’s Central Council of the Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska is increasing its opposition to mines just across the border in British Columbia.

That’s what central Council President Richard Peterson told delegates during a State of the Tribe address on Wednesday during the council’s annual meeting in Juneau.

He urged delegates to challenge mines on rivers that flow through the region.

“I’m not against mining. But these mines are dangerous,” Peterson said. “They’re already putting poison into our rivers. If you’re not aware of it, please get informed, because it is going to significantly impact our way of life.”

Council officials already head up a tribal transboundary mines working group. They’ve also traveled to Washington, D.C., to lobby Alaska’s Congressional delegation. And they’ve gotten involved with several other organizations working to protect salmon in transboundary rivers.

Peterson said the council, as a sovereign government, will also approach the United Nations with its concerns. The central council has close to 30,000 Tlingit and Haida members in and outside the state. It’s Southeast Alaska’s largest tribal organization.

Peterson referred to the Red Chris Mine, which began processing ore this year in the Stikine River watershed.

“The Stikine River feeds right into Wrangell. But it’s all of Southeast. We’re talking about rivers, the Taku and Unuk, and we have to make sure we’re at the forefront there,” he said.

The Tulsequah Chief Mine, in the Taku River watershed, is leaking acidic water. It’s been closed for decades, but owners are trying to reopen it.

The Kerr-Sulphurets-Mitchell project is under development in the Unuk River watershed.

The Tlingit-Haida Central Council’s 80th Tribal Assembly runs through Friday in Juneau.

http://www.terracestandard.com/news/300614971.html

Tahltan vote in favour of mine benefits agreement

by Staff Writer - Terrace Standard

posted Apr 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM

AS much as 40 per cent of the workforce of a newly-opened mine in northwestern B.C. is to be made up of members of the First Nation on whose traditional territory it is located.

And members of the Tahltan Nation are also to be deeply involved in environmental monitoring of the Red Chris copper and gold mine owned by Imperial Metals and located near Iskut on Hwy37 North.

The two conditions are among a series making up an agreement with Imperial that was approved this past weekend by 86.9 per cent of the Tahltan who voted.

"Tahltan people have been living on our land for more than 10,000 years, so it makes sense for us to be involved in making sure our lands, waters and wildlife are protected for everyone without affecting our title and rights," said Tahltan Central Council president Chad Day when the results of the vote were released.

Imperial has been slowly ramping up production since February through a temporary permit that was granted by the province. A first shipment of concentrate from Red Chris was shipped out of the port at Stewart April 11.

The company is now applying for a permanent permit leading to full production, including operations at its tailings pond. The pond was the subject of a review financed by Imperial but conducted by a company chosen by the Tahltan last year.

It resulted in a number of recommendations which have either been completed or are underway.

The mine has not been without controversy with a Tahltan group and others staging roadblocks to the mine last year, saying they were worried about what might happen should its tailings pond fail.

Other parts of the agreement include:

• a Tahltan environmental coordinator working at the mine, as well as half of every environmental team on any shift are Tahltan.
• A Tahltan right to access for independent studies.
• Air quality monitoring in nearby Iskut.
• Whistleblower protection for mine employees.
• The right to seek injunctions should the mine not operate within environmental regulations, even if the province does not take action.
• Commitment to employ Tahltans evenly from entry-level jobs to management.
• On-the-job training for Tahltan members, with financing for training initiatives.
• Tahltan employees who have obtained seniority, experience, and qualifications to be fairly rewarded with promotions.
• Preferential hiring so that Tahltans are to be considered first for positions.
• Cultural sensitivity training for all mine employees.
• Tahltan eligibility for preferred bid contracts as well as direct award contracts.
• Advance royalty payments so that the Tahltan would benefit from the mine prior to paying off construction costs.
• Royalty payments to begin once the mine is solvent.
• Bursary fund to be administered at the discretion of the Tahltan Central Council and open to all fields of study.
• Revenue from the mine directed to a trust, with all Tahltans having the chance to say how revenue is best spent through a foundation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ives-prestigious-175k-goldman-prize-1.3040916

Marilyn Baptiste receives prestigious $175K Goldman Prize

B.C. activist is credited for helping twice defeat the proposed New Prosperity Mine

By Daybreak Kamloops, CBC News Posted: Apr 20, 2015 1:07 PM PT| Last Updated: Apr 20, 2015 1:07 PM PT

Marilyn Baptiste has been honoured with the Goldman Environmental Prize.

B.C. activist honoured with Goldman Prize 5:01

Marilyn Baptiste, a B.C. activist who helped lead the fight against a proposed open pit copper and gold mine, has won one of the world's largest international awards for grassroots environmental activism.

Baptiste, a councillor with the Xeni Gwet'in First Nation, is one of six recipients who will be in San Francisco on Monday to each accept the $175,000 Goldman Environmental Prize.

The activist was chosen for her effort in leading her community in twice defeating the proposed New Prosperity Mine near Williams Lake, in B.C.'s Cariboo region.

"So many times, people always said that, 'You'll never win against something like this, it's huge,'" Baptiste told Daybreak Kamloops.

"I did realize that. I said that to myself that this is pretty huge, you know, but you know what? This is our territory and we have never given up our land and our title. Never."

One-woman blockade

The Goldman Environmental Foundation has credited Baptiste for preparing First Nations submissions for the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency in 2010.

The submissions argued the New Prosperity Mine would threaten Teztan Biny, or Fish Lake, which holds spiritual and economic significance for the Xeni Gwet'in and other Tsilhqot'in Nations.

Fish Lake
First Nations activists fighting the New Prosperity Mine proposal said the development would kill Fish Lake, preventing access to a place of spiritual importance. (CBC)

After the environmental review, the federal government rejected the mine proposal in 2010.

When Taseko Mines submitted a revised proposal in 2011, Baptiste began a one-woman road blockade that stopped construction crews from accessing the proposed mine site.

The federal government rejected the mine again in early 2014.

Later that year, the Supreme Court of Canada granted the Tsilqot'in Nation title to more than 1,700 square kilometres of land encompassing the Nemiah Valley, where Baptiste lives.

Other winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize are Phyllis Omido from Kenya, Myint Zaw from Burma (Myanmar), Howard Wood from Scotland, Jean Wiener from Haiti and Berta Caceres from Honduras.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kamloops/b-c-activist-honoured-with-goldman-prize-1.3040944
To hear the full interview with Marilyn Baptiste, listen to the audio labelled: B.C. activist honoured with Goldman Prize

http://www.kstk.org/2015/04/21/red-chris-mine-gets-closer-to-full-production/

Red Chris Mine gets closer to full production

by Katarina Sostaric, KSTK News
April 21, 2015 4:31 pm

The Red Chris Mine’s first shipment of copper concentrate was sent out April 11, 2015. (www.imperialmetals.com)

A British Columbia mine upriver from Wrangell and Petersburg is one step closer to full production after reaching a benefits agreement with a First Nation group last weekend.

Red Chris is a copper and gold mine in the Stikine River watershed on the traditional territory of the Tahltan First Nation. Tahltan Central Council members overwhelmingly voted to enter an agreement with Red Chris. It gives them environmental oversight rights, jobs and a share of mine revenue.

The Red Chris Mine is owned by Imperial Metals, which also runs the B.C. mine that spilled millions of gallons of waste into Canadian waterways last summer. The Mount Polley dam spill spurred Tahltan members to request a third-party environmental review of the Red Chris tailings dam.

Tahltan Central Council President Chad Day said the 22 recommendations made by the third-party review are either in place or being completed. Tahltan and B.C. officials have said the mine won’t be granted a permit for full production until the Tahltan members are satisfied that environmental concerns have been addressed.

Day said the benefits agreement does not amount to giving approval for the mine’s final permits. He said the TCC’s team of engineers and environment experts will have input on all significant environmental permits for Red Chris.

The mine has been operating with a temporary permit it received in February, shortly after an investigation found the Mount Polley dam breach was caused by design flaws. Red Chris has been increasing production since then, and it made its first copper shipment from the port of Stewart earlier this month.

According to a TCC release, the mine is expected to reach production capacity this summer.

Alaskans worry a breach at the Red Chris tailings dam could destroy salmon populations that spawn in the Stikine River and its tributaries, and provide jobs and food for Southeast Alaskans. A group of Tahltan members set up roadblocks at the mine to protest construction last year, and Imperial Metals was granted an injunction to stop the protests.

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/takeaction/mount_polley_mine_disaster_never_again

Mount Polley Mine Disaster: Never Again!

Write a letter!

Remember the massive Mount Polley mine disaster that happened last August near the town of Likely, BC? The one that released more than 17 million cubic metres of water and contaminated slurry into nearby fish-bearing streams and lakes, and was dubbed the worst tailings pond breach in Canadian mining history?

Well, less than a year after the tailings pond dam gave way and flooded the natural environment with tailings and wastewater, the mining company – Imperial Metals – is applying to the BC government to re-open the mine.

Government officials have said it will take years to restore the area’s lands and waters to their original state, yet they are already considering a move to begin mining again at the troubled site.

An independent investigation into the mine failure concluded that it was caused by the design of the dam, which didn’t account for instability in the underlying deposits. The panel that conducted the investigation also made one important recommendation that should apply not just to Mount Polley but to the mining industry as a whole: stop storing tailings in massive ponds mixed with water, and instead store tailings dry in a process known as “dry stacking.”

You can read the full report from the Mount Polley review here. https://www.mountpolleyreviewpanel....nMountPolleyTailingsStorageFacilityBreach.pdf

The BC government is accepting public comments on the application to re-open the Mount Polley mine until April 29, 2015. This is a great opportunity to voice our concerns about the way mines are operated and regulated in the province. http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id=BB2BE7299657481185F9E1C95698E91A

Please use our letter-writing tool to send a message to the BC government, and ask officials to take two important actions to prevent another disaster like the one at Mount Polley:
•Reject the application to re-open the Mount Polley mine.
•Enact regulations that prohibit BC mines from storing tailings mixed with water in large ponds, and instead require companies to use the “dry stack” method to store tailings.

Instead of re-opening the Mount Polley mine, Imperial Metals needs to clean up its mess. With new mines being proposed (and approved) by the BC government each year, it’s critical that we let decision-makers know how strongly we feel that the disaster at Mount Polley MUST NOT be repeated.

Write your letter now!

Photo: Aerial view of the mouth of Hazeltine Creek, which was flooded by mine tailings and water during the Mount Polley mine disaster in 2014. (Jeremy Williams)

Some idiot protesters vandalized the MOE office in Kamloops yesterday.

http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=23258
http://infotel.ca/newsitem/ministry-building-vandalized-with-anti-mine-message/it19042

Not sure how filling door locks with silicon or spray painting windows has anything to do with Imperial Mines, Mt. Polley, Red Chris, Salmon, etc...but again the people that do this aren't playing with a full deck anyway. Guess who pays for the clean-up? Guess which company doesn't give a damn about idiots spray painting windows? Guess who was really impacted by the vandalism and the resulting lockdown that day? Donkeys.

Again - agreed, Shuswap. They make everyone that disagrees - look like an idiot. I hope it was at least latex paint - and easy to wash off.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ca...ter+storage+mine+tailings/11011878/story.html

Canadian, American groups call on B.C. to end underwater storage of mine tailings

Mines minister says that is not going happen in the province, or likely anywhere in Canada

By Gordon Hoekstra, Vancouver Sun April 28, 2015

Canadian, American groups call on B.C. to end underwater storage of mine tailings

The Greens Creek underground gold mine in Alaska has filtered its tailings and dry stacked them for more than two decades, a method recommended by a B.C. government-appointed expert panel following its investigation into the Mount Polley tailings dam failure last summer.

Dozens of Canadian and American environmental groups, First Nations and businesses, as well as scientists and individuals, have called on the B.C. government to end the use of storing mine waste under water and behind earth-and-rock dams.

But Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett said that is not going to happen in British Columbia. “I don’t think that’s in the cards for B.C. — or any other province in Canada — to adopt a policy where all you can use to manage tailings is dry-stack tailings,” Bennett said in an interview.

The demand from the U.S. and Canadian groups — sent in a letter Tuesday to Bennett and B.C. Environment Minister Mary Polak — came as a result of Imperial Metals’ Mount Polley tailings dam failure last summer.

The dam collapse released millions of cubic metres of water and tailings — finely-ground rock waste containing potentially toxic metals — into the Quesnel Lake watershed in the B.C. Interior.

The groups say their demand is based on a recommendation from the B.C. government-appointed expert panel to move away from the conventional method of storing tailings underwater behind earth dams.

Tasked with investigating the Mount Polley failure, the panel suggested a method called dry stacking, where the water is pressed from the tailings, which are then compacted and stacked. The panel also suggested backfilling underground mines and using old mine pits to store waste.

The diverse group of 90 organizations and individuals that signed the letter to the provincial government includes the Ketchikan Indian Community, Southeast Alaska Fishermen’s Alliance, Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard, federal Green party leader Elizabeth May, University of Washington fisheries biologist Daniel E. Schindler, author and University of B.C. anthropologist Wade Davis, the David Suzuki Foundation and the Sierra Club of B.C.

“Part of our frustration here is we haven’t seen a strong commitment to the Mount Polley panel recommendations yet. We only hear vague statements about best available technologies,” said Chris Zimmer, Alaskan campaign director for River Without Borders.

Bennett said the expert panel did not recommend dry stacking exclusively, and noted that sometimes using water storage makes sense, particularly if a mine needs every drop of water to run their operations.

Instead, he said the bottom line from the report for him is about reducing water storage of mine waste where you can, and reducing the risk of failure by increasing safety factors.

He noted that both the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists and the Mining Association of Canada are examining how to increase safety, and the province expects to launch a review of its dam safety regulations this summer.

The regulation review is expected to take about a year, Bennett said.

ghoestra@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ca...ne+tailings/11011878/story.html#ixzz3YpR479JE

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="true" data-href="/thenational/videos/vb.62680227685/10152842945452686/?type=1"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="/thenational/videos/10152842945452686/"><a href="/thenational/videos/10152842945452686/"></a><p>Researchers have released a report into one of Canada's biggest environmental disasters in recent years.</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/thenational">CBC News: The National</a> on Tuesday, May 5, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/05..._campaign=Feed:+aprn-news+(APRN:+Alaska+News)

AK, B.C. promise more input into mine decisions

By Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska - Juneau | May 13, 2015

The Walker-Mallott administration will include transboundary mine critics’ concerns in its negotiations with British Columbia.

Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott made that announcement after returning from a week of meetings with government, industry and aboriginal leaders in the nearby province.

Southeast environmental, fishing and tribal groups say they’ve been left out of opportunities to question the safety of B.C. mines near Alaska’s border.

Mallott said that will change.

Alaska Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott discusses the Xat’sull people’s traditional fishing on the Fraser River with tribal council official Jacinda Mack on May 6, 2015. The Xat’sull live in the area damaged by August’s Mount Polley Mine tailings dam collapse. They’re concerned about reopening plans. (Photo courtesy Office of the Governor)

“I would hope we have the most open and transparent processes and involvements with the public possible,” he said, in a teleconferenced press conference.

He said his trip opened doors and increased opportunities to learn about the mines.

At least a half-dozen are planned in watersheds that feed salmon-producing rivers important to Southeast fishermen.

“It’s important for us not just to understand how the government does its business over there, but the involvement and interests and the concerns of stakeholders in British Columbia and the mining industry itself,” Mallott said.

The lieutenant governor met last week with provincial agencies overseeing mining and the environment.

Afterward, Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett said he wanted to open more of B.C.’s permitting process to Alaska officials. The state can already comment on environmental certificates and Bennett said that could be expanded.

“We would propose to have Alaska also have access into the second part of a development of a mine, which involves my ministry and the Mines Act here in British Columbia and the permitting for the actual construction of the mine and how water treatment is built,” he said after the meeting.

Mallott said the talks were cordial and officials seemed sincere. But he let them know Alaska is serious about protecting water quality.

“Large mine development along those transboundary watersheds cannot be taken casually by the state of Alaska. And any engagement we have with British Columbia cannot be out of courtesy on their part,” he said.

Gov. Bill Walker earlier this year asked Mallott to lead an internal transboundary waters working group.

The Southeast Alaska Conservation Council is among organizations critical of B.C.’s mine plans and the state’s response. Communications Director Daven Hafey said Mallott’s trip is a sign of progress.

“It’s movement. It’s movement in the right direction. But there’s still a lot of work to be done to make sure that what’s happening in B.C. respects Alaska waters and Alaska fish and that there’s very close participation between Alaska and B.C. on any development that occurs in the headwaters of our major salmon rivers,” he said.

During his visit, Mallott invited British Columbia officials to visit Southeast Alaska. Mines Minister Bennett accepted, though details are yet to be worked out.

He made a similar promise earlier this year, but never made the trip.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150512104039.htm

Mining pollution alters fish genetics in southwest England
Date: May 12, 2015
Source: University of Exeter
Summary: Pollution from historic mining activities in south west England has led to a reduction in genetic diversity of brown trout according to new research. The findings indicate that human activity can alter the genetic patterns of wild populations -- an important issue in modern conservation.

Trout from the metal contaminated rivers, including the River Hayle in Cornwall, UK, have evolved to live in water with metal concentrations that would kill fish from non-polluted waters.

Credit: Josie Paris

Pollution from historic mining activities in south west England has led to a reduction in genetic diversity of brown trout according to new research from the University of Exeter. The findings, which will be published on Friday 15 May in the journal Evolutionary Applications, indicate that human activity can alter the genetic patterns of wild populations -- an important issue in modern conservation.

The prevalence of metal contaminants in rivers across the south west of England is directly linked to mining activities dating back hundreds of years. Exposure to high concentrations of metals can be detrimental to fish health, negatively impacting their genetic diversity and population structure.

Josephine Paris, lead author and postgraduate researcher at the University of Exeter said: "Our research shows that brown trout populations have been severely affected by both historical and contemporary mining practices. The effects of both metal contamination and changes in environmental geochemistry have driven dramatic changes in the genetic architecture of these fish. In the case of the Industrial Revolution, these shifts have occurred in less than 200 years, showing the speed and magnitude at which human activity can alter the genetics of species."

To investigate the genetic impacts of metal pollution, the researchers compared DNA samples from fifteen brown trout populations from heavily-polluted and 'clean' rivers.

Genetic analysis revealed that all trout populations from metal contaminated rivers derived from a single common ancestor approximately 960 years ago, during the medieval period when tin mining in the region is first documented. Metal contamination at this time led to genetically distinct populations in different rivers.

Around 150 years ago, during the Industrial Revolution, further genetic separation occurred when rivers were again polluted with significantly increased levels of metal contaminants. During this period, trout numbers substantially declined in heavily polluted areas like the River Hayle. Those trout that remained were less genetically diverse than trout in clean rivers.

Co-author Dr Andrew King Research Fellow in Biosciences at the University of Exeter said: "Trout in the metal contaminated rivers have evolved to live in water with metal concentrations that kill metal naïve fish. The metal contaminated populations are genetically distinct from one another and we think this is a response to the unique cocktail of metals found in each river. This raises the interesting question as to whether the ability to live in contaminated water has evolved once or multiple times."

The River Camel and the River Fal are considered 'clean' rivers, although they do contain some metals due to the underlying geology and ancient mining activity. Other rivers, including the River Hayle and the Red River, are known as 'metal rivers' as they contain significantly elevated levels of metal contaminants.

The research was conducted by Josephine Paris, PhD Biosciences student, Dr. Andrew King and Dr. Jamie Stevens of the Molecular Ecology and Evolution Group at the University of Exeter. Human mining activity across the ages determines the genetic structure of modern brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations is published in Evolutionary Applications.

Story Source: The above story is based on materials provided by University of Exeter. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

Journal Reference: 1.Josephine R. Paris, R. Andrew King, Jamie R. Stevens. Human mining activity across the ages determines the genetic structure of modern brown trout (Salmo truttaL.) populations. Evolutionary Applications, 2015; DOI: 10.1111/eva.12266 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/eva.12266

http://www.thecordovatimes.com/article/1520bc-mines

Mallott Water quality is key in transboundary rivers

Posted 05/15/2015

by - Margaret Bauman

LT. Gov. Byron Mallott discusses traditional fishing of the Xat'sull people on the Fraser River with Jacinda Mack of the Northern Shuswap Tribal Council, who told Mallott about how the Mount Polley mine tailings breach affected their subsistence lifestyle. Photo courtesy of the Alaska Office of the Governor

Concerns over several British Columbia mines planned along transboundary rivers that flow into Southeast Alaska prompted Alaska Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott to meet in early May with Canadian entities that would be impacted by such development.

The bottom line, said Mallott, during a teleconference call on May 11, is that the mines present a clear and present danger that could affect water quality, and that is the issue that Alaska should focus on.

"Large mine development along those transboundary watersheds cannot be taken casually by the state of Alaska, and any engagement we have with British Columbia cannot be out of courtesy on their part," he said. "They are sovereign. We are sovereign, but Alaska has clear interest in protecting with extreme vigilance the water quality in each of those rivers, so that all of the biological diversity that occurs in them, that produces large salmon run, would be maintained.

"We would expect that British Columbia has as great or greater concern than we have because in most instances, 99 percent of those transboundary river systems exist on the British Columbia side of the border. So Alaska's involvement won't be one of courtesy. It will be one of vigilant involvement in order to protect Alaska's interests on our side of the border."

The state will likely expand involvement of state agencies to include more than just a mining focus, and on the water quality focus, he said.

Meanwhile, the lieutenant governor has begun establishing a working relationship with British Columbia Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett, plus representatives of First Nation tribes who would be impacted, and mining companies who would be involved in such mineral development.

The invitation to come see himself the plans for exploration and mining along transboundary rivers came initially from a First Nations leader who was visiting Juneau months ago, Mallott said.

The trip that resulted May 4-6 also involved meetings with British Columbia officials, and attendance at the Vancouver Board of Trade's annual luncheon for BC Mining Week, with the keynote address delivered by Karina Brino, president and chief executive officer of the Mining Association of British Columbia.

Mallott also met with representatives of the First Nations Energy and Mining Council, the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, and the BC Assembly of First Nations, and travelled with First Nations representatives to Williams Lake to tour the area of the Mount Polley mining dam breach.

The purpose of his travels was mostly fact finding and relationship building, to look at where Alaska can help strengthen environmental safeguards, and we will be working on these issues, he said.

While there were no discussions of shared oversight, Bennett did say in an interview with BC media that the provincial government would be open to Alaska engagement in their mining assessment and permitting processes, he said.

It is important for Alaskans to understand the view of stakeholders on the BC side, including First Nations bands who have formal contractual relationships for mines in the transboundary area, and bands who are skeptical and concerned about one or more of the mine projects, he said.

It is also important to understand the provincial government's position, including revenue sharing incentives, the politics, and environmental assessments of the permitting process, he said.

While there were no discussions during his trip on impact in a future catastrophic event spilling into transboundary waters and over the Alaska border, there will be in the future, he said.

While no dates are set yet for future exchanges, Mallott said Bennett would be visiting Alaska for further talks, and that several BC mining companies had invited him to visit their operations in Alaska.

As discussions progress, "all Alaska stakeholders with interests and concerns will be fully engaged by us, " Mallott said. "I would hope we would have the most open and transparent process with the public as possible."

You can reach Margaret Bauman with comments and suggestions at mbauman@thecordovatimes.com
- See more at: http://www.thecordovatimes.com/article/1520bc-mines#sthash.TA49kh3P.dpuf

http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...Polley+still+closed+Chris/11063674/story.html

Imperial Metals losing money as Mount Polley still closed, Red Chris not at full production

Company has applied to restart Mt Polley, closed since failure last summer of waste dam

By Gordon Hoekstra, Vancouver Sun May 18, 2015

Imperial Metals losing money as Mount Polley still closed, Red Chris not at full production

The collapse of Imperial Metals Mount Polley gold and copper mine's dam and release of water has left a barren landscape of tailings.

Photograph by: Gordon Hoekstra , Vancouver Sun

Imperial Metals continues to bleed red ink as its main cash generator, the Mount Polley gold and copper mine, remains closed after a catastrophic failure last summer of its mine-waste dam.

The Vancouver-based mining company reported on Friday a loss in the first three months of 2015 of $33.4 million and revenues of $1.5 million.

Cash flow was negative, and dropped $26.4 million from the same three-month period in 2014.

“The decrease is primarily due to the absence of revenue from Mount Polley due to the suspension of mine operations,” Imperial Metals said in a news release announcing the first-quarter loss.

Imperial Metals is trying to get the go-ahead to restart the Mount Polley mine in the Central Interior, northeast of Williams Lake, and is awaiting a decision by the province, possibly in June.

Imperial Metals also expects to get increased cash flow from its recently-opened Red Chris gold and copper mine, but it had to cut back production in mid-April because of a shortage of clean water in its mine-waste storage facility.

Because of the production slowdowns at the new mine in northwestern B.C., it will take additional time to ramp up to full production, which means the company will not be able to meet a June 1, 2015 completion date for the mine, a requirement of banks holding some of the company’s debt.

The company is in discussion with its lenders for an extension, but without one the company will be in default under the credit agreement on June 1, 2015, said Imperial Metals.

Company officials could not be reached for comment on Monday, a holiday.

Imperial Metals has scheduled a teleconference Tuesday to discuss its first-quarter loss.

In its news release, the company said it is also reviewing alternatives for additional sources of financing to provide funding until the Red Chris mine is generating sufficient cash flow.

In the three-month period ending in June, before the collapse of the Mount Polley dam, Imperial Metals had profits of $15.2 million on revenues of $51.1 million.

It’s shares have also lost value, now at $12.81 from $16.50 just before the Mount Polley dam collapse.

In its application to restart the Mount Polley mine, Imperial Metals said it would start at half production to “maximize revenue” while having enough resources to continue work on repairing the tailings pond and rehabilitating Hazeltine Creek.

The nine-kilometre creek was destroyed when the earth-and-rock dam failed, releasing millions of cubic metres of mine waste and water it held back.

B.C. Mines Minister Bill Bennett has said earlier his ministry will not be rushed into a decision on reopening the Mount Polley mine.

The company must deliver a long-term plan, Bennett has said.

ghoekstra@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...+production/11063674/story.html#ixzz3abuBEhTy

Back