The value of Angling

Rockfish

Saltwater survey all about money
Last Updated: 6:49 AM, March 11, 2011
Posted: 3:49 AM, March 11, 2011
Comments: 0
More Print
Ken Moran
NOAA is starting to get it in its head that the recreational fishing community is a financial force that can keep this nation on the right track to recovery.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is surveying saltwater anglers across the nation to update and improve estimates of the overall economic contributions of saltwater recreational fishing to the U.S. economy.
"The money that millions of recreational anglers spend on fishing trips each year produces tens of thousands of jobs and billions in sales revenue," said Jane Lubchenco, Ph.D, under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator.

"This year's survey is a chance for saltwater anglers to help NOAA get an updated, accurate picture of how recreational fishing translates into economic vitality and jobs for Americans."

The data gives a more accurate look at the economic effects of fishing regulations and changes in the ecosystem caused by natural or manmade events. The information gathered in the survey will contribute to more informed decisions on a variety of recreational fishing issues.

"By surveying the recreational fishing community, we are following through on one of the recreational fishing community's top priorities identified at the 2010 sportfishing summit," said Eric Schwaab, assistant NOAA administrator for NOAA's Fisheries Service.

"The survey will ensure that NOAA and the fishery management councils have the best data when considering management actions that affect anglers."

The most recent economic study in 2009 showed that anglers' expenditures generated $59 billion in sales and supported more than 385,000 jobs. You can get more information on line at www.noaa.gov or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usnoaagov

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more...ut_money_gkCR0OMxgz9URai1JI7JnL#ixzz1GojT6vsW

It looks like the US government is starting to recognize what an incredible economic engine salt water sport fishing can be. One wonders how long it will take our government to recognize there is more than just commercial fishing. Pretty impressive that in 2009, US Salt water angler’s expenditures generated 59 Billion in sales and 385,000 jobs. If crudely the US is about 10 times our population we would be generating about 6 Billion at a comparable rate. It would be interesting to know what we actually generate and yes I am aware there are other variables besides population.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd question the data (385,000) on jobs. I don't think it would be a stretch to figure that amongst the 350 or so million in the States that one person or so out of every 350 would derive most/all his/her income from rec-fishing related activity; if my math is any better than when I was a kid, that would translate into 3.5-million jobs.
No?

Back