The Hill to Die On - by Bob Hooton

The fact of the matter is the vast majority of people in BC don't give a flying fig about the plight of the Thompson steelhead. Sadly, the hill to die on has long since passed for Thompson steelhead.
And these same anglers would be very pissed if these fish are listed under SARA as they would have far fewer angling options due to extensive closures.

Previous

Aaron Hill: Last stand for steelhead​

British Columbia’s Interior Fraser River steelhead are on the brink of extinction and this may be our last big chance to do something about it.
This year, fewer than 70 Thompson River steelhead are expected to return from a run that numbered in the thousands as recently as 2005. Fewer than 35 steelhead are expected to return to the Chilcotin River, and the remaining stocks in the Interior Fraser steelhead group, collectively known as the West Fraser stock (Nahatlach, Bridge, Seton and Stein river) have disappeared from both provincial and federal fisheries management agency’s agendas and are not being monitored. They are dying in the shadows.
In 2018, Watershed Watch Salmon society and many of our allies and supporters were among the thousands of people and organizations who wrote to then-fisheries minister, Jonathan Wilkinson, and environment minister, Catherine McKenna, asking them to protect Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead under the Species at Risk Act (SARA), as recommended by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC), a federally-mandated panel of expert scientists.
Unfortunately, Prime Minister Trudeau and his cabinet decided to not protect these iconic fish, claiming that species at risk will fare better without the protection of the Species At Risk Act.
“The Governor in Council (GiC) has decided that not listing Thompson River and Chilcotin River Steelhead Trout under the Species at Risk Act would result in the greatest overall benefits to current and future generations of Canadians and the conservation of these wildlife species.”
Yes, they actually said that. And Premier John Horgan’s provincial government, who are responsible for steelhead management in B.C., supported the shameful decision.
Even worse, the ministers based their decision on a scientific report that was altered at the last minute by federal fisheries bureaucrats, without the permission of the scientists who had authored the report. The bureaucrats changed the conclusions of the report to downplay the threat posed by status-quo commercial fishing. B.C.’s then-deputy minister of environment, Mark Zacharias, bravely blew the whistle on this treachery by his federal counterparts. But the federal ministers stuck with the corrupted science report.
Unfortunately, rejecting fish for protection under the Species At Risk Act has been standard operating procedure since the act was created in 2002. Of the 23 marine fish in B.C. recommended for endangered status by COSEWIC, only one (the basking shark) was actually listed under the act. In all of Canada, protection under the Species At Risk Act has only been granted to three of the 44 marine fish recommended for listing by the federal science committee.
Read more about why at-risk marine species are not being listed as species at risk.
We have another chance to defend Fraser steelhead from extinction. A second review of Interior Fraser River steelhead by COSEWIC has resulted in a second classification as endangered and a second recommendation for listing under Canada’s Species at Risk Act.
That recommendation has the support of a broad array of provincial, federal and international conservation organizations. The more public pressure we can apply, the better.
Please consider adding your voice to this petition, calling on the Minister of Environment and Climate Change to recommend to Cabinet that Interior Fraser Steelhead are finally given protection under SARA, before it is too late. And please share it with your friends and family!

This was put on Facebook ant their site.
NOTE: there is a place to add your voice using the petition noted.

Maybe also those groups have thought through the logical consequences of a SARA listing and the unanticipated outcomes that brings. They also might have a different view on what is likely to be the most effective approach - SARA is a blunt instrument, not well suited for fisheries situations where there are mixed stocks. That span of impacts on other fisheries beyond the Capt. Obvious, also include interactions in many interior lakes (think trout fishing). Sadly IFS are already functionally extirpated so the only hope now is a very well funded intensive recovery strategy to help overcome the most significant contributing reasons for IFS declines (within our realistic control). So this one falls under be careful what you wish for.

Excellent post searun. People really need to think this through as the consequences would be huge, and as you say, it's too late for these fish.
The hill to die on, imo, is the one that will save Skeena steelhead.
What, and close all the other fisheries on the North coast? So as long as the hill doesn't effect "your" fishing it is a hill worth fighting for? Ok, I see the trend now. Kind of like, cutting the herring fishery in half was ok as it wasn't involving anyone here but the proposed closures because of killer whales was not ok. Plenty of hypocrisy to go around methinks.
Don't worry, the way things are going it will be your pet run of fish soon enough.

What, and close all the other fisheries on the North coast? So as long as the hill doesn't effect "your" fishing it is a hill worth fighting for? Ok, I see the trend now. Kind of like, cutting the herring fishery in half was ok as it wasn't involving anyone here but the proposed closures because of killer whales was not ok. Plenty of hypocrisy to go around methinks.
Don't worry, the way things are going it will be your pet run of fish soon enough.
Sadly Onefish-- you are right. Its all about whose ox is being gored. I understand the implications-- but its time to swolo the pill. Lets think about 1) the fish, 2) the future for our kids.

Lol! I haven't fished in over 5 years, this won't affect me at all but it will impact many who do.
Yes, it is too late for IFS but you have to hope we have learned a bit because Skeena steelhead will be next.
Edit:
I am not advocating for listing Skeena steelhead under SARA.

I think Dave was pointing out we shouldn't wait till a population of fish has less then a 100 fish left to do something. That skeena still has a population that can sustain itself.

the ifs fishing window was only put in 3 years ago if it was put in 30 years ago things may be different

Just pointing out if you read anything on herring fishery thread many of us didn't actually agree the fishery being cut in half. Not sure why your bringing it up.

Last edited:
I have what I hope is a serious (and possibly naive) question - and my intent is to try and find a thin ray of sunshine in a rather bleak and depressing reality. I am hoping the steelhead experts (not me) on here can help:

Is it at all possible that there is some hope that rainbows can switch life history strategies and turn into steelheads? and if so would it be enuff to either (in the future) stabilize or slowly reverse the decline in IFS stocks? I know they have done some research in the kamchatka peninsula in Russia and WA state on steelhead/rainbow stocks and interactions - and I know it is complicated and their life histories are also more plastic than some other salmonid species.:

Last edited:
And so it begins. Feel sorry for the younger generation of anglers that are going to have deal with this moving forward. Feel really bad for my kids honestly.

WW1.JPG

Last edited:
I have what I hope is a serious (and possibly naive) question - and my intent is to try and find a thin ray of sunshine in a rather bleak and depressing reality. I am hoping the steelhead experts (not me) on here can help:

Is it at all possible that there is some hope that rainbows can switch life history strategies and turn into steelheads? and if so would it be enuff to either (in the future) stabilize or slowly reverse the decline in IFS stocks? I know they have done some research in the kamchatka peninsula in Russia and WA state on steelhead/rainbow stocks and interactions - and I know it is complicated and their life histories are also more plastic than some other salmonid species.:

Good questions aa but I don’t know if anyone can answer them.
I have personally observed adult female steelhead spawning with male rainbow trout on the upper Chilliwack River; whether this was because of a lack of adults or simple opportunism, who knows.
It’s been speculated Thompson steelhead parr no longer need to smolt and migrate to the ocean as the productivity of the river is now so high the anadromy strategy is no longer needed.
Coupled with the low number of spawners, the recent floods of the Nicola, Coldwater, Deadman and Bonaparte systems have most likely killed any overwintering parr, resulting in a loss of a complete year class.

And so it begins. Feel sorry for the younger generation of anglers that are going to have deal with this moving forward. Feel really bad for my kids honestly.

View attachment 74549
There is data (science I know )that shows the mortality of C and R fishing. While there is some C and R impact, catch and kill fisheries have a 100% mortality rate. If you close a river to fishing you soon have nobody that cares and then it is a quick decent to nothing. The T is a prime example of this as there is an ever decreasing number of people who don't give the T a passing thought. The longer it remains closed the fewer people will care or even remember what it was, or could be.
There are numerous rivers throughout BC and specifically on Vancouver Island that are "off the radar" as nobody can fish them anymore so nobody gives a hoot. The once mighty Gold will soon be on that list.

It seems in this day and age, science and data are only looked at if it agrees with your position. Otherwise, it can be ignored, or changed to suit whatever your agenda is on any given day.

Last edited:
Previous

Aaron Hill: Last stand for steelhead​

British Columbia’s Interior Fraser River steelhead are on the brink of extinction and this may be our last big chance to do something about it.
This year, fewer than 70 Thompson River steelhead are expected to return from a run that numbered in the thousands as recently as 2005. Fewer than 35 steelhead are expected to return to the Chilcotin River, and the remaining stocks in the Interior Fraser steelhead group, collectively known as the West Fraser stock (Nahatlach, Bridge, Seton and Stein river) have disappeared from both provincial and federal fisheries management agency’s agendas and are not being monitored. They are dying in the shadows.
In 2018, Watershed Watch Salmon society and many of our allies and supporters were among the thousands of people and organizations who wrote to then-fisheries minister, Jonathan Wilkinson, and environment minister, Catherine McKenna, asking them to protect Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead under the Species at Risk Act (SARA), as recommended by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC), a federally-mandated panel of expert scientists.
Unfortunately, Prime Minister Trudeau and his cabinet decided to not protect these iconic fish, claiming that species at risk will fare better without the protection of the Species At Risk Act.
“The Governor in Council (GiC) has decided that not listing Thompson River and Chilcotin River Steelhead Trout under the Species at Risk Act would result in the greatest overall benefits to current and future generations of Canadians and the conservation of these wildlife species.”
Yes, they actually said that. And Premier John Horgan’s provincial government, who are responsible for steelhead management in B.C., supported the shameful decision.
Even worse, the ministers based their decision on a scientific report that was altered at the last minute by federal fisheries bureaucrats, without the permission of the scientists who had authored the report. The bureaucrats changed the conclusions of the report to downplay the threat posed by status-quo commercial fishing. B.C.’s then-deputy minister of environment, Mark Zacharias, bravely blew the whistle on this treachery by his federal counterparts. But the federal ministers stuck with the corrupted science report.
Unfortunately, rejecting fish for protection under the Species At Risk Act has been standard operating procedure since the act was created in 2002. Of the 23 marine fish in B.C. recommended for endangered status by COSEWIC, only one (the basking shark) was actually listed under the act. In all of Canada, protection under the Species At Risk Act has only been granted to three of the 44 marine fish recommended for listing by the federal science committee.
Read more about why at-risk marine species are not being listed as species at risk.
We have another chance to defend Fraser steelhead from extinction. A second review of Interior Fraser River steelhead by COSEWIC has resulted in a second classification as endangered and a second recommendation for listing under Canada’s Species at Risk Act.
That recommendation has the support of a broad array of provincial, federal and international conservation organizations. The more public pressure we can apply, the better.
Please consider adding your voice to this petition, calling on the Minister of Environment and Climate Change to recommend to Cabinet that Interior Fraser Steelhead are finally given protection under SARA, before it is too late. And please share it with your friends and family!
Taken from blog,

Bob Hooton
January 27, 2022 at 12:38 am
This comment follows the response of DFO’s Sport Fish Advisory Board “Steelhead Committee” to the broadly supported letter recommending listing of Interior Fraser Steelhead as endangered! That response criticized the signatories (half of whom were the senior spokespersons for organizations with long histories of recreational fishing advocacy) as being anti-recreational fishing and having an explicit agenda to eliminate it. It is a classic example of shoot the messenger. There wasn’t a conservation oriented word anywhere in their messages. I thought I had been around long enough to have an appreciation for who and what the SFAB is but apparently I am mistaken. Can someone please remind all of us here where, when and how it was that DFO and it’s SFAB became the voice of steelhead fishery management in British Columbia?

o_O I thought I had been around long enough to have an appreciation for who and what the SFAB is but apparently I am mistaken.

Really ? a laughable statement at best sadly :(

A rational, practical mind where one's ego doesn't call the shots - would openly ask if constantly attacking all sectors and all potential allies is the most effective way to affect change, Searun. But maybe it's not about affecting change, at all. In that case one would ask - what is the intent, then?

any mention of first nations curiously absent from any of the media.

WHY ARE STEELHEAD DECLINING?​

The decimation of steelhead across the Pacific coast can be traced to a number of factors, according to a 2018 federal Recovery Potential Assessment looking at populations in the Thompson and Chilcotin rivers.

Inland, agriculture water drawdowns were found to reduce flows and raise river water temperatures, a lethal combination in the summer months.

Meanwhile, forestry practices and urban development lead to increased erosion, damaging water quality by dumping silt into the rivers and destroying fish habitat.

Taylor pointed to a 2021 mudslide on the Deadman River that triggered a log jam, blocking migrating fish.

“It took forever for authorities to show up,” he said.

And at sea, altered ocean conditions brought on by El Niño, climate change and the “Warm Blob” are all found to squeeze steelhead populations.

“You can get fish coming up from down south feeding on other fishes. They can be there for a while and chow down on steelhead,” explained Taylor.

The federal recovery assessment says harbour seals and sea lions are found to feed on up to 40 per cent of out-migrating salmon smolts. But it’s unclear how steelhead are directly impacted, and some scientists have argued the prey species are merely restoring a natural balance.

At the same time, warm waters set the stage for a decline in nutrients, which can lead to fewer concentrations of the small fish steelhead eat at sea.

While Taylor says ocean mortality appears to be a big factor leading to precipitous declines of steelhead populations across all west coast rivers, how it’s playing out is still “a bit of a black box.”

That may soon change. An unprecedented fleet of genetic researchers is on route to the North Pacific to trace salmon and steelhead to their home rivers across Canada, the U.S. and Asia. The Pan-Pacific Winter High Seas Expedition will also examine how the migrating fish survive at sea under a rapidly changing climate.

Under the scientific leadership of UBC biological oceanographer Evgeny Pakhomov, the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Sir John Franklin will participate in the expedition with the F/V Raw Spirit. They will be joined by a Russian vessel and the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association ship Bell M. Shimada, scheduled to set sail from Port Angeles, Wash., Feb. 1.

In the meantime, it’s the threat of commercial and sport fishing by-catch — where nets and lines inadvertently pull in another species — that have scientists and conservation groups scratching their heads.

On average, by-catch has been found to impact 18 per cent of steelhead returns in the last 10 years. The fish can survive for several minutes out of water, but if they’re not separated from the rest of the catch for several hours, they die.

Losing the Fraser River populations would mean more than losing a chance to bounce back a historically important source of food and jobs.

The iconic fish is an important part of the land and waterscape of southern B.C., and economic comparisons aside, losing it would be like Eastern Canada losing its maple trees, says Taylor.

Given Ottawa’s track record, he says it’s not likely DFO will list Interior Fraser River steelhead as endangered under SARA. Still, he says he’s more hopeful now that Joyce Murray, a British Columbian, heads DFO as minister.

“If nothing else, she’ll pay more attention to it,” said Taylor. “I’m hoping (she) has the gumption to strike a new course.”

Back