The expertise will endure.

Foxsea

I was drinking an afternoon coffee and reading some fix-it posts. I'm always impressed by the level of talent here and the unique and imaginative solutions that other boaters have to our common boating issues.

Now granted, some here despise all social media. I too have a hate-on for some of it: Tik Tok, Twitter and Facebook, right at the top. However, up until recently, the experts had small audiences and when they passed on, so did most of their knowledge. No longer. When there are forums like this one, the expertise spreads widely and persists even after death. That's a big plus for some social media forums.

I totally agree Foxsea. It's really impressive that there is so much knowledge on this and other forums but more impressive for me is the willingness and the detail that some members go through to help others. I belong to another forum called Tugnuts, that's specific to my make of boat. I am as much of a do-it-yourselfer as I can be with my boat and I've learned so much mechanical information from that forum and this one that I done things that I would never have dreamed of doing on my own. Thanks so much to all who continue to share. Remember, there is always someone out there that knows less about a certain topic than you do.

I totally agree Foxsea. It's really impressive that there is so much knowledge on this and other forums but more impressive for me is the willingness and the detail that some members go through to help others. I belong to another forum called Tugnuts, that's specific to my make of boat. I am as much of a do-it-yourselfer as I can be with my boat and I've learned so much mechanical information from that forum and this one that I done things that I would never have dreamed of doing on my own. Thanks so much to all who continue to share. Remember, there is always someone out there that knows less about a certain topic than you do.
You're welcome.

I've been a fan of the forum concept for a long time, for the same reasons @Foxsea mentions. Broad-based social media like FB, Instagram, etc is every jackass in town airing an opinion, plus cat videos. The more focused bulletin board/forum format is where it's at if you want to learn something.

I look at FB once or twice a week, good for keeping up with family and friends that are far away. And that's where it ends for me. Not a member of any of the other social media platforms.

Forums like this are much more engaging to me. I've been a member of an Aussie based skiing forum for almost 20 years and have met dozens of other forumites for ski and social get together. Have learnt a crap ton about motors on the Etec owners forum, where the mods are all factory service techs. And so on. Ask questions, answer questions, talk about life. And the occasional cat video.

Agreed with all said. We have a great knowledge base on here and a wide variety of skill bases. As a hard core do it yourselfer I enjoy seeing other people’s skills and enjoy sharing the little skill I have on things. The money one has saved over the years not just in fishing expenses but also in do it your self projects is huge. Its one of the reasons I have no issue being a paid member of the site. It’s peanuts to what one saves by being a part of the community and sharing experiences.

Back