The cheapest of all

I don't understand why charter guy needs to have his trailer insured as a commercial trailer or NSC number on his Truck or a trailering endorsement on his driver license. What if you get your boat hauled by someone else? Could you explain why you would need these. Not trying to be a pain just want to know the reasoning. Thanks Casper

I have everything already for insurance, and all my tickets.
You know. All this really does too is get people who normally wouldn't fish interested. Most of my groupons are first timers. If they have fun, there's no reason why they can't walk over to the other guides at the dock and pay full rate to go out for the other 5 hours. I suspect many people will benefit from that, since many people will be staying there too. Get them hooked and they'll dig out their wallets to keep going with the other guys. This will bring hundreds of new potential clients down there for the cabins, rv's and the other guides. I'd be quite happy if they scoop up my guests from the discount for full rate the rest of the day from where their half day ends.

Yes, we could pay a commercial hauler to move our boats. Good option. We do need to have our trailers insured with commercial plates because we are commercial operators. Checked it out. If you go online you will see that if your boat, trailer and truck exceed 5,000kg you will need to have an NSC number and your tow vehicle has to have its GVWR changed to match the new total weight of the boat, trailer and truck in combination. If you go over 8201kg, you also need to have your tow vehicle inspected each year. I wouldn't have believed it either, but we researched it and found out this week we need to make changes. I got my NSC number - takes a day and $200. Next step is to run over the scales and get them to give me a weight so we can go back and redo the insurance documents with the correct GVWR. Major pain. I've calmed down a lot since finding out the news. By the way, if you buy a new F350 dually you will need an NSC number to drive it as it is over the 5,000kg. Fun eh!

Yes, we could pay a commercial hauler to move our boats. Good option. We do need to have our trailers insured with commercial plates because we are commercial operators. Checked it out. If you go online you will see that if your boat, trailer and truck exceed 5,000kg you will need to have an NSC number and your tow vehicle has to have its GVWR changed to match the new total weight of the boat, trailer and truck in combination. If you go over 8201kg, you also need to have your tow vehicle inspected each year. I wouldn't have believed it either, but we researched it and found out this week we need to make changes. I got my NSC number - takes a day and $200. Next step is to run over the scales and get them to give me a weight so we can go back and redo the insurance documents with the correct GVWR. Major pain. I've calmed down a lot since finding out the news. By the way, if you buy a new F350 dually you will need an NSC number to drive it as it is over the 5,000kg. Fun eh!
Thanks Searun. I swear there must be a special top secret government department that thinks up new ways to screw us some new way. I think I had better check to see if I'm all good to go.

Yep Searun is right, I have had the pleasure of getting a couple of NSC numbers for work its a really treat!!!

Hear ya, I've calmed down a bit since first learning about all the hoops. Doesn't make any sense other than we fit into a loop hole that was never intended when the legislation was written - but now we fall into that pit and no one cares because its money in the govie coffers. BOHICA.

By the way, if you buy a new F350 dually you will need an NSC number to drive it as it is over the 5,000kg. Fun eh!
you don't need an NSC if its insured for pleasure only, and a pleasure vehicle may be used a total of 5 calendar days a month for work purposes
so technically you could use it to tow your boat if you had to, its the same as some of these big butt 5th haulers that were once registered as comm vehicles but have since been converted to single axle
haulers GVW's have been dropped accordinly and they are now insured for pleaure only and dont require scaling either simply because they are "not for hire"
but I think where your coming from is that your boat is a commercial vehicle and the truck and trailer are probably registered under your company name then this as a unit rolling on the road is a business and therefore deemed commercial, just not sure if there is anything in the law that says you can not use a private vehicle to tow your boat, next time I run over the port mann scales I'm going to go in and ask one of the guys to clarify that if they can,

To get back on topic. I have never understood why people get all bent out of shape on what a guy charges or doesn't charge. If he can make a buck all the power to him and if he looses his shirt he will be out of business anyway. FishBC.org sounds like he has thought it all out and I wish him well and to all the winers it none of there business anyway.

To be honest my thoughts are this as well. If a couple completes their first 5 hours with the fishing bug still in them (We all know 5 hours isn't going to cure the bug once it starts), I plan on pushing them towards the other guides on the docks for another 5 hours at their full rates. Already people with groups etc, and multiple days are approaching so I'm already getting other guides business by doing so at their full rates. Most of these people are first timers, and women / kid, Dad, young kid, or retired couples that sort of things but I'm surprised most of them say "It's our first time". Now to that my thought is, what if I get them hooked on fishing, and they decide to go out again, only more in their local areas, and want to keep on fishing for years to come?. That really doesn't detract from anyone's business because next season I'll be full rate, and out of towners will pay lodgings etc too, so it might be actually more feasible to fish in their local areas once they have the bug going, and they'll be apt to check out other guys / stuff. Believe it or not 56% of the purchasers are women. Demographics is a good thing, and I'm more than happy to share what I know. I feel I made a mistake though in going so low only because it may have upset some people, which I wasn't my intention. If I upset you I am sorry. The groupon is over in a day, and basically it's gone. After doing this it seems like this is a gold mine for this kind of business but I have some suggestions for anyone wanting to try it in their areas. (Believe me it works). Figure out your very bottom dollar that you and your boat need to make per day (Remember you'll make more in volume), and then take into account the actual number Groupon takes as a % (Negotiable), and then factor in the discount, and you'll come up with a number that you should push your regular price to. Remember from what I have learned is people want to be sold, and you just need to make them feel like they're getting a deal.. 50% of 1300 is the same as 50% of 950 in a mind that wants to fish. It takes about 3 months to speak to groupon once you apply, but if anyone wants to try this using that theory and working the numbers it works.. I can put you in direct contact with a direct phone number for an account manager and you'll have your money before the season ever starts.
I'm not a dick like some people think I am. My intentions are not bad. It was a test to see how useful this could be for tourism. I just screwed up and got worked down too low, at their suggestion because of the Dave guy who did it last year. More than willing to help some others get their seasons booked with what I know at a better rate. On a side note it disturbs me a bit hearing some of the things I am hearing slowly filtering back to me.. A certain charter biz, emailing another mouthing, someone telling people we scab boats together using scrap materials hahaha.. We use cnc machines to cut them so they fit perfect and it takes a month of fabrication time out using "brand new" materials. Almost all the builders now are doing that, didn't you know? :). Anyways. Who cares. I don't talk **** about people. If someone is bothered I'm free to talk to on a humane level to my face. I know the mistakes, but at the same time I am not operating at any loss, so I don't need to be chastised. I hope I can help others, and help them avoid my mistake by informing what numbers they need to come up with to be profitable, and use the power of it's reach. Also for the record BB is not affiliated in any of this. This is my own doing. I'm just hoping some guests stay out there, and promote them some more business.

180 sold is great! Do you have more then 1 boat? WHat is the plan to get all these people on the water?

And for the 100th time where is your shop? lol

180 sold is great! Do you have more then 1 boat? WHat is the plan to get all these people on the water?

And for the 100th time where is your shop? lol

Half days lorne. Going to be a tired fella at the end of it.
Can't disclose shop until all the stuff is worked out with the 26 foot design we're working with is ready to be unveiled, and we're ready to move to full retail.. Class B. Tis all I can say right now.

I don't get it. You have boat builds for the next year and you can't reveal where your shop is? What kind of shop stuff is going on now a days? And even with half days that 90 days on the water as is if you double booked your 180 half days how are you going to build boats being on the water so much. .org you continue to intrigue me sir. I do love how the whole purpose of the groupon was to generate business for other local guides. That is a very noble gesture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. You have boat builds for the next year and you can't reveal where your shop is? What kind of shop stuff is going on now a days? And even with half days that 90 days on the water as is if you double booked your 180 half days how are you going to build boats being on the water so much. .org you continue to intrigue me sir. I do love how the whole purpose of the geoupob was to generate business for other local guides. That is a very noble gesture.

I may put a 2nd boat on. I can't disclose anything about the shop / builds in detail yet as I am under contract and non disclosure at the moment. I have employees and a partner to manage while I'm away.

Cool! Think they could manage putting a melting pot together in under 8 months?
lol it was done long ago, I just got tied up, and was dealing with medical apt's and paperwork crap, actually slipped my mind with everything else that was going on. Dropping it off Tues.
My day planner is near the size of a filing cabinet.

Sorry it took so long fellas. Good note is it's built in such a way that should keep splatter from any impurities mostly off you. Still please wear proper safety gear, and ventilation.

Are you going to run a groupon for the maintenance stuff this year?

Owen and I purchased the proper ppe years ago it seems. We have also watched countless you tube videos on the safe handling of lead. We had no idea you would make it in such a way that it would keep the splatter back. Thank you for thinking of us! Tuesday it Is!

Owen and I purchased the proper ppe years ago it seems. We have also watched countless you tube videos on the safe handling of lead. We had no idea you would make it in such a way that it would keep the splatter back. Thank you for thinking of us! Tuesday it Is!

It's not splatter proof, but it's splatter resistant, meaning if it does, it should come out ahead of you rather than at you standing in the right position haha.

I want the melting pot some day. I don't want to **** .ORG off and never see it. So what if it has tanken for ever.

The guiding thing is a totally different thing. It does not have any thing to do with me. I don't guide. If he wants to do it for free... so be it. I take people out all the time and just ask they help pay for the fuel and lost gear. If they are good people they will come out with me again and come to my house for dinner and drinks with the family and hang out with my other friends.

Back