The cheapest of all

lol...thats a fine choice of words!

toward the best spots to snag salmon and wild bottles of tartar sauce,

The real thing brutal thing about this Is he is actually going to get $100. Groupon takes a minimum of 50% of the sale price. We used them last year for our business. Worked really well actually. Offer something small at a really good price and up sell them the whole deal. But if you dont its not a good business decision. lol

FOOL. He obviously doesn't understand how that is going to bankrupt his business. Clearly not in touch with his costs, and setting a fair charter rate to ensure he can offer safe fishing experiences. I'm looking at my operating costs and setting my rates based on the true cost of running the business. The only way he can offer this type of discount is by flying under the wire. No Blue Decal; no charter insurance; no moorage; doesn't have his boat with a C number; doesn't have his boat trailer insured as a commercial trailer; no NSC number on his Truck, no trailering endorsement on his driver license..it all adds up to big $$. All that before the capital cost of operating the boat, the tackle, the variable expenses like fuel. Yep, fools choice, and these discounts just cheapen our industry. Set a fair price and stick to it.

Strikes me as an ok strategy if you're just starting out and have no business anyway. Get some people out there at cost, show them a good time, hope they come back at full price next year and that they tell 2 friends and they tell 2 friends and so on. If the boat is sitting there unused at the dock, that's a lot of fixed cost tied up doing nothing ... and if you have nothing better to do, then your time is "free" right? Consider it a day out fishing with some new friends, who are just paying for gas and gear?

For a short-term marketing push, could work. Especially if you set it up so that the bookings are super limited ... only slow/shoulder season, weekdays only, etc. Might also attract some non hard core fishing types who are more price conscious ... and maybe hook them into becoming more regular hard core fisherfolk, who knows.

All deliver a pizza for a $100 where am I going!!! I sure the guy is planning to get the group to fish with him for a couple days. if you have one day at the loss leader price and then sell the group 2 or 3 more full price days then it may be a good idea. I'm not saying this would be the best strategy for a guide that already has a strong business and already has a lot of repeat clients and good word of month advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:
loss leader,, learned this in grade nine economics,, he had better sell the next two days at full pop or ya,, no reel business goin on...

Any business trying to make a profit or pretending to try to make a profit can write off expenses. I'm not saying that's happening in this case, but it may be a crafty idea for someone else to buy a Grady instead of lesser boat. Take some people out once in while to keep up appearances then fish the rest of the time with friends or alone in a boat you couldn't otherwise afford.

Real guides will scoff at the lowballing and rightly so. But if a guy is not a real guide he should charge less.

1. I'm not tapping anyone else's repeat customers this way.
2. I have another business so the income is not the issue.
3. I still clear enough to pay for what I paid for my boat, and enough for brand new motor in the kitty.
4. If I can get 10% of it back in return business in 2013 at full price it will be a win.
5. My boat sucks nothing for fuel, and I don't have to run but half a km to where I fish.
6. I bring hundreds of people to the marina / bay, many of which will stay and spend there as well so that's local business.
7. I buy all my tackle / bait local, again supporting local.
8. My insurance SVOP, Med 3 and Radio already done. No costs to incur.
9. It's a trial to see how it all works out, but most importantly I get to spend the entire season on the water networking with many people.
10. Again this route doesn't affect what anyone else does this season at all, as I won't be stealing your customers, and the groupon ends in less than 3 days.
11. I know my business economics, and it's never a loss at anything I do, for whatever reason.
12. I don't recommend this to anyone who does have high operating costs / expenses, unless you're willing to sacrifice some earnings for long term repeat customers. It's a strategic maneuver nothing more.
13. Owen yes finally back. Haven't had time to do much of everything, or anything with so much going on with the boats. Scheduling, and what not have been crazy trying to meet obligations during a start up.
Will call you Monday.

Keep in mind I don't need oodles of dough from this, this year. I tapped this for future intentions, and to do a test. Some people are close to the right reasons, others are not.

Hey .org. Wheres your shop? I might need a few things done.

Lorne

How do you know you arent stealing someones business? do you ask the potential client if they are not considering someone else lol? I am all good with it, its competition within a business that doesnt require an education but only a few courses and anyone with a boat can do it.(or at least try it) Which is why there will always be people coming in and under cutting. And competition for the most part is healthy. I would think that most guides dont do it for the money but more the lifestyle. However, no one wants to work for free.
IMO Undercutting hurts everyone, waters down the market and everyone suffers. Espeiially the guys that have been there before and will be there after. Because in the end, the guys not making money because of thier low prices will be gone in a few years, and the people that have done it there whole lives will be left to pick up the pieces of a market that is not profitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey .org. Wheres your shop? I might need a few things done.

Lorne

How do you know you arent stealing someones business? do you ask the potential client if they are not considering someone else lol? I am all good with it, its competition within a business that doesnt require an education but only a few courses and anyone with a boat can do it.(or at least try it) Which is why there will always be people coming in and under cutting. And competition for the most part is healthy. I would think that most guides dont do it for the money but more the lifestyle. However, no one wants to work for free.
IMO Undercutting hurts everyone, waters down the market and everyone suffers. Espeiially the guys that have been there before and will be there after. Because in the end, the guys not making money because of thier low prices will be gone in a few years, and the people that have done it there whole lives will be left to pick up the pieces of a market that is not profitable.

I'm not going to debate my decisions fellas, nor care what anyone assumes.
People are free to assume, anything, or whatever they want. If your theory is correct Lorne, then no one has anything to worry about.
I'm not doing this to harm anyone else. In fact many people are asking about halibut, which I'm not doing, so I'm willing to pass those off to others who have the interest, as leads, as they're aware that it's not part of the groupon deal. I'm just testing a viral marketing theory / volume sales. I knew the bottom dollar I needed to make to pay for my boat, new engine, and put some in the kitty. My bread and butter is in my other business. From a business perspective for me it makes perfect sense. Of course there will be some who don't understand and grumble. I accept that, but their thoughts should be focused on booking their own businesses solid for the season, instead of worrying what others are doing. If anyone's interested in the leads from the hali interest people feel free to email me. I don't have time today much to be on here.

As for the shop, it's not an accessory shop. We don't do anything except build boats for retail. We don't take on any projects besides that. We're already fully booked with builds for almost the next year.

.org glad your back to work.
It's a free market and good for you to try new things.
Best of luck, I hope it works out and you get some new people out there.
GLG

.org glad your back to work.
It's a free market and good for you to try new things.
Best of luck, I hope it works out and you get some new people out there.
GLG

exactly, you're allowed to run a sale if you like, you're your own boss. Knowing what groupon takes for their cut you're on slim margins for sure, good luck with it.

I'm not going to debate my decisions fellas, nor care what anyone assumes.
People are free to assume, anything, or whatever they want. If your theory is correct Lorne, then no one has anything to worry about.
I'm not doing this to harm anyone else. In fact many people are asking about halibut, which I'm not doing, so I'm willing to pass those off to others who have the interest, as leads, as they're aware that it's not part of the groupon deal. I'm just testing a viral marketing theory / volume sales. I knew the bottom dollar I needed to make to pay for my boat, new engine, and put some in the kitty. My bread and butter is in my other business. From a business perspective for me it makes perfect sense. Of course there will be some who don't understand and grumble. I accept that, but their thoughts should be focused on booking their own businesses solid for the season, instead of worrying what others are doing. If anyone's interested in the leads from the hali interest people feel free to email me. I don't have time today much to be on here.

As for the shop, it's not an accessory shop. We don't do anything except build boats for retail. We don't take on any projects besides that. We're already fully booked with builds for almost the next year.

Its a free world. do what you want!! thats the great thing about business. LIke i said we used groupon last year and worked well for our type of business. OK you dont take on smaller jobs, cool. But where is the shop?

No Blue Decal; no charter insurance; no moorage; doesn't have his boat with a C number; doesn't have his boat trailer insured as a commercial trailer; no NSC number on his Truck, no trailering endorsement on his driver license..it all adds up to big $$. All that before the capital cost of operating the boat, the tackle, the variable expenses like fuel. Yep, fools choice, and these discounts just cheapen our industry. Set a fair price and stick to it.
I don't understand why charter guy needs to have his trailer insured as a commercial trailer or NSC number on his Truck or a trailering endorsement on his driver license. What if you get your boat hauled by someone else? Could you explain why you would need these. Not trying to be a pain just want to know the reasoning. Thanks Casper

Back