The Canadian invasion of Ilwaco, WA Sept. 14th, 2013

any reason why the live bait thing couldn't be done here in BC? just curious if anyone has tried it here?

I wondered the same thing ... do all them little anchovies turn around at the border or what??? why cant we get them up here???

A lot goes into catching and keeping live anchovies in commercial quantities like you see in Westport or Ilwaco. These operations are feasible due to the large fleet of live bait tuna charter operators in these ports. Without them, there would be no bait available commercially. There isn't a port (yet) in BC with a large enough tuna charter fleet to justify the moonlight seiners and bait receivers required to make such an endeavour financially viable. Cast netting chovies and cramming them into a bait tank and expecting them to perform after a 3 hour trip offshore is no more realistic than the above mentioned commercial operation however I'm not afraid to give it a go once I have the necessary gear rigged in my boat. For now, live bait fishing in bc is but a pipedream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U would be correct....Most of the anchovies are south of us and also we currently do not allow a commercial harvest on the limited amount of anchovies in our neck of the woods....:)

How about live herring? Oh Ya I forgot with the costs of operating a live bait station, no one could afford the price of the bait if it was available. :(

Most of the ports in Oregon don't have live bait but they catch a lot of tuna. Many use dead bait, swim baits and jigs this time of year. They buy and use IQF anchovies for chum and bait. $40 for a 20# box.

I've been thinking about catching my own anchovies with a cast net. I think it would work if you could find a big school of them. Going out of Westport we buy live bait even when there are large schools of them near the jetty because it is convenient. Otherwise it would mean that you would try and catch them the day before and then try and keep them alive over night and then on the two plus hour ride out to the grounds.

if you guys really want live bait its available at buccaneer marina in secret cove on the sunshine coast
have to get a few boats to run from the island over about an hour crossing
i believe its $5.00 a dozen but check on that

hope this helps

The one trip I did out of Westport the live bait we bought was small Herring with a rare Anchovy here & there in the mix-Herring works well for Albies.

Back