The 1st Annual Juan De Fuca Halibut Derby. MARCH 12 &13 2011

Good times, fugly weather. Got some fresh Haly

The one we wanted did not play very nice...If anyone sees a bout 400 yards of 100lb tuff line, 200 yard of backing and a
16/o circle hook with a red spreader let me know. I want the meat off my left thumb back. Im not kidding !

I need a lesson from Benny

Thanks

Benny used to have a spare reel and the but end of a rod with a quick snap when he was close to getting spooled he'd put the quick snap on the good rod tighten down the drag and let her go ,then play the whole works on the spare rod and reel.

Crazy but i've seen him do it!

Benny used to have a spare reel and the but end of a rod with a quick snap when he was close to getting spooled he'd put the quick snap on the good rod tighten down the drag and let her go ,then play the whole works on the spare rod and reel.

Crazy but i've seen him do it!

Benny is pretty smart

Ya Trev, Benny had it figured out, those contraptions he had are one of a kind, he is part fish. Third time this has happened now to me. This one was at dead slack and had no current helping it though, wich made me spook a bit, still shaking actually. Talk about adrenaline rush that words can not describe. I really dont think we could have slowed it down, the benny trick may have given us more time. I am not going to fish the big boy gear for a bit, ahh maybe next week. Or later today after I fix the boat.......

Glad you saw the Show Rob H. Must have been quite a scene. I want my thumb back!!!!

We fished Trial Island area and RR on Sat and it was extremely lumpy.
We did land a fish but with unbelievable luck.

All three rods were in the rod holders, all three of us where sitting in lawn chairs on the back deck just about a sleep. Then a fish hit my hook, my rod bent over and then the rod holder exploded apart and off to the bottom of JDF my rod and reel went..

Well that fishing. I took out another rod/reel and started setting up again. Five minutes past and then the center rod started bounding softly, we reeled the line in and as the spreader bar came to the surface there was my fishing rod's line raped around it. I grabbed the line, pulled up the rod from the deep and then reeled in the fish.

Reminded me of Tailspin's charter last year.

Nice fish(s) for DH.

Thanks to the organizers and the volunteers of the Hali Festival for putting on the event. I especially liked the idea of donate a hali fillet to the Sooke food bank and enter to win a rod and reel. It was a great idea to support the food bank and I'm sure they will really enjoy receiving all that fresh fish.

Hopefully this is just the start of future fish festivals in Sooke.

Doug you know what I do i have a cord which is attached to the boat and then a small clip which I attach to the reel on the left side of the reel away from the handle you dont even knows it there. AS I almost had the same thing happen about 10 +yrs ago but it was in a "tube" type on the buddies boat off the rigger and I saw it hit went to grap the rod at the same type "SNAP" I caught the rod near the butt end from that day on made the clips and never take them off LOL LOL

Here is a pic I found for you of my "set up" hope this will help you and anyone on here as it sucks to loose a rod

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• Halibut 2009 007.jpg
    Halibut 2009 007.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
There was not a much of current Trev, it was on the switch, had the kicker in an out of gear keeping off the pick. Next time well get em, lol.

Doug, that is a great feeling getting a rod back! Like Roy, I always clip them on a leash, just happened that time it happed to me it was not clipped back up. Glad you got it back.

For all the guys who never made it out to Jock's we have a bunch of long sleeve shirts and hoodies at great prices. We hope to sell the rest so that they don't lessen the amount going to the charities. Get in touch with Jock's if you want to help out and get a 1st annual Sooke Halibut Festival shirt or hoody. Thanks again for the hard work to those who helped out.

Back