The 15th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby.

oh they knew how big it was he caught a 212 just last week so he knew it was close.

When they gutted Al's big fish there was NOTHING in it's stomach. If it had eaten a bit it might have passed 202. I remember that Ken Abt''s 201 years ago had a large octopus in it's stomach. So close............. One more thing, the big fish was split up with all the derby volunteers and helpers getting some to take home. We ate some last night and it was delicious!

Sorry to be the party poopper here but Scientists tells us that Hali that big are full of heavy metals and tough eating.
So which is it.
Are they tough with no taste and bad for you: especially the kids: or are the Scientists full of BS.

FREE halibut always tastes good... does it not ........at 17.50 a lb for filet the going rate right now that fish was close to 2500 bucks so really his winning was only 5 grand. is that fair??? i personally want to keep the fish ive caught especially if it was someones personal biggest, and yes I know the salmon derbies keep the fish but we are talking about a salmon not halibut HUGE difference.
Ive had big halibut to eat me personally its alright nothing wrong with it its just got big flakes and a just ok I think a 35 lber is WAY better table fare.

Compare it to going out on a date wth a hot 21 yr old or going out with a 75 yr old who would you prefer???? LOL LOL
for some the 75 yr old I guess LOL LOL

Wolf

Holmes most derbies i've ever been in are like that. Oh Roy always bitchin lol , you weren't even in the derb and still bitchin lol, Thats the rules everybody knows it when they buy the tickets. whats the diff between a salmon and haly derby as far as keeping the largest fish?

Well a 30 plus lb salmon big deal a almost 200 lber caught in local waters is a fish of a lifetime me thinks and id want some of it I wouldnt mind some but 140 +lbs of fish??? thats a bit excessive .... and no not bitching want whats fair trust me if anyone wins the JDF giving up a $150 fish for $25.000 yeah id give that up LOL. still dont think its "FAIR" thats all

I thought the Sooke halibut derby did a good thing ... winning fish donated to the local food banks. For a good cause and good PR too. I guess this is similar, if it went to volunteers.

9lb'er...I guess going for the hidden weight prizes. We caught the smallest halibut I've ever seen...probably 2 lbs. Almost would have been worth bonking it just to put skipper's name beside it on the leaderboard....heh! But it lives to grow up for another day.

The bonus prize was originally for a fish over 200 lbs. Ken Abt beat that with a 201 and got the prize money from the insurance company. The comapny insisted on a larger size for any future policies and so the weigh was chaned to 202 lbs.

Back