Thawing, refreezing, reusing anchovies?

Sangstercraft

I'm a tackle man, but once in a while end up buying a few packs of chovies to try out. I brine them, thaw, use one or two, and am usually left with a pack of them that I don't use. Does anyone here re-freeze them and then reuse them at a later date? Or does this not work for some reason?? Thanks

my experience is from years back when Anchovies were often hard to find, using refrozen Anchovies just does not work...they will go soft and the bellies will be the first to go when you reuse them, even if they have been brined.

just to clarify.
If the brink stays near or below freezing, sure you can refreeze, but if the brink gets to air temp, forget it.
The Anchovies will be all shriveled up and close to rotten.
If you are where you can't get any more anchovies you will have no choice to use them or plastic.
But I would never choose to use old bait that has thawed and has been refrozen just to save a few bucks!
Year old bait never brined or thawed is another story...it's just fine to use.

Let's be very clear here-the chovies i refreeze have been in a HARD brine for 2 to 3 days on the boat. When frozen; thawed and used they still appear well salted-not soft and with no blown bellies. I use them as soon as I get to a new place-the new packs I save for the late night/early morning bite. I am always surprised at how well they do.

... been in a HARD brine for 2 to 3 days on the boat. ...
I'm assuming you take 'em out of the package, put em in a tupperware, douse with lots of dry salt (hard brine? or do you add a touch of saltwater too?), keep on ice, and then when you return home you just re-freeze them? I may be assuming a lot here ;)

I use 2 cups salt, bit of blueing and a quart and a half of water. Let this solution sit in the fridge over night during hot weather to get rid of the chlorine. Pick up the chovies on the way to a 3 day trip-1 pack goes into the brine in the cooler-the other 1 or 2 go on ice. By day 2 all go into the brine as they are now thawed. If any are left they travel home in this cool brine. Soon as I get home they are put on a chinnete plate in the freezer. I put another plate over top when frozen and put both plates in a ziplock bag. When I do another trip just before I leave I put the frozen chovies in the pre-cooled brine and do all over again. During the trip if the chovies aren't nice and firm I add more salt.

I brine mine to the point of shoe leather. I have frozen and reused them in this state and still caught fish. Although fresh brined is still always better.

Dave

4326f39cc6e2.gif

I always refreeze my anchovies and/or herring. I use salt only, no water added. I simply put the whole cooler in the freezer until I need them next time. Works great and I can't afford not to.

I just use coarse salt and sea water and put in a plastic container that closes up , add anchovies , shake and put in the shade .... Good for at least 2 1/2 Days easy !

Never tried refreeze, wouldn't eat it myself so I'm not going to feed it to my salmon that way , come on eh ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back