technological-creep-and-why-some-worry-its-destroying-fishing

The first thing that jumped out for me was this statement : from improved fishing gear to wider use of electronics and faster spread of fishing knowledge via apps and social media I just have to shake my head with the constant posting of hero pics. While its perfectly legal to share your trophy pics on an open forum, it is not in the best long term interest of our fishing activity. Seeing those shots , especially in these days of non-retention of chinook and other species, is just not in our best interests. Remember, this site and other outdoors sites (hunting, fishing ) are closely monitored by those who would rather see us closed down. And as far as posting C&R numbers of large amounts of fish-- please DON'T . Sportfishing BC is a great resource for entertainment and to exchange information, but if you are one of those that does spend time on the Inside doing C&R, use the private message function if someone wants more specific reports . I know the kind of reply I will get from some who will disagree. But after over 60 years of fishing in BC, and seeing which way our passion is heading, I just ask that posters pause , ask themselves who might use his post against our sector , and maybe go to the PM if someone requests hard numbers.

I just have to shake my head with the constant posting of hero pics. While its perfectly legal to share your trophy pics on an open forum, it is not in the best long term interest of our fishing activity.
I have made myself very unpopular with some of the West Coast Fishing guides by criticizing their web page killer photos in the past.
Showing pictures of their guests full limit catches, sometimes of all species of salmon and ground fish is not uncommon.
This is done of course in their effort to solicit more business.
Their guests are known to have said "we brought home enough meat to pay for the trip"
Legal, yes...in the best interest of the sport...NO
This is not the Sport Fishing I love and just like Bryan Allen, I have enjoyed true sport of fishing for over 60 years.

I have made myself very unpopular with some of the West Coast Fishing guides by criticizing their web page killer photos in the past.
Showing pictures of their guests full limit catches, sometimes of all species of salmon and ground fish is not uncommon.
Their guests are known to have said "we brought home enough meat to pay for the trip"
This is not the Sport Fishing I love and just like Bryan Allen, I have enjoyed true sport of fishing for over 60 years.
A number of years ago, before he left us, I sat next to a master outdoorsman, Ralph Shaw ( Order of Canada, BCWF Conservationist of the year and many other accolades ) at a Courtenay F&G meeting where the guest speaker was a westcoast guide . The guide was spreading the word about how good the fishing was on the Offshore Highway. But I could see that the slides of dead fish and poor release tactics were getting the veins bulging on my buddies neck. Now Ralph was always a gentleman when dealing with others. And he was also a "gentle man" who didn't look for confrontation. But when the guide boasted about his 50 fish days with his clients, that got Ralph off his chair. "How many salmon did you kill that day ???? Are you aware of the unintentional mortalities associated with Catch and Release ??? " He then suggested that that he had better educate himself and take what is legal, and then go fish for some other species. That stuck with me. I am not a fan of excessive catch release , nor do I feel the "average weekender and some angling guides" realize the harm these posts do to our reputations . It just takes one short video to paint all of us with the same paint brush.

While I agree with it,

i think if you need to hide your activities from the public you probably should realize that what your doing is wrong.

Or as DFO likes to call it now

“social acceptability”

The whack and stack/card filling mentality is not great for the sport or conservation in my opinion.

I just go fishing myself with my family and friends myself and ignore the noise. Don't think it's wrecking anything.

If anything is wrecked more to do with people addicted to social media being away from the outdoors. Hunting and fishing seem to be judged by these people.

That seems worse to me than people posting pictures.

Last edited:
Contrary to what some may espouse, guiding is NOT sport fishing. Guiding is commercial fishing using a rod and reel. Of course the clients want to take home as much meat as possible to help justify the huge expense for their trip. The guides want clients, the clients want to catch and keep fish, hence the hero shots with all the dead bodies splayed out on the dock. Good luck an getting guides/lodges to refrain from blowing smoke about all the fish clients can catch and kill while using their services.

Last edited:
Contrary to what some may espouse, guiding is NOT sport fishing. Guiding is commercial fishing using a rod and reel. Of course the clients want to take home as much meat as possible to help justify the huge expense for their trip. The guides want clients, the clients want to catch and keep fish, hence the hero shots with all the dead bodies splayed out on the dock. Good luck an getting guides/lodges to refrain from blowing smoke about all the fish clients can catch and kill while using their services.

and here we go..... now guiding isn't sport fishing.

Back