Tahsis Derby Last Weekend

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Do you see anything fishy about this? Check out the halibut. Apparently it was really thick :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It says that it was 52.5 inches which is 131.25 cm which makes it legal but it must have been some thick as they would not post from westview if not legal. One would hope anyway.

I seriously doubt someone would win a derby with an illegal fish.........think about it

Guys give it up. The Hali was Shot enough to be legal & Thicker than normal. A lot like some folks we know.
"Short & Stout" Believe Because several people measured it BEFORE it was allowed to be weighed into the Derby.

Salmon fishing has picked up again on the Hyw especially at the "T"
FOJ

Don't think that the hali was oversize in length....was at Tahsis 4 weeks ago and saw a nice 80# hali that was right at 50",a FAT hali,probably one of the thickest I've seen for that length.One of the local guides was cleaning it,a beauty.I know damn well that John would not allow or be involved with a fish that did not qualify for the derby.Chart averages are close but by no means the rule for any species.......

I just got home from Tahsis....... It was dead John and many people said it's been that way for days. I was at the "T" today and can honestly say it wasnt worth the time heading out there

Does any one know the margin of error in the IPHC measure = weight charts?
http://www.iphc.int/publications/bulletins/lenwtmet.pdf

F.A.: One of the best local halibut guides in Victoria measures the length of his halibut and also weighs them on the marina scale for his interest and records. He told me that the halibut he is catching weigh very often 10% above the weight calculated by the weight/length chart you are referring to.

...Rob

If you want the facts on fish catching take a look at our web cam!!! 3pm 6pm. Have a nice day!!

But you'd have to be there to ask the people how far they had to run down the cannel to catch those fish in Nootka Sound. I have always found it best to stay on the fishing grounds. Running back and forth to Tahsis is a joke and a waste of fuel. Fuel that is over priced in Tahsis. But I guess there are suckers born every day that will believe that Tahsis is great hub to setup camp.

Guess the the folks in Tahsis only have so many months to make there money from rec. anglers as it's the only source of income up there this days. If you go don't forget the lube..... :) Tahsis makes Friendly Cove look like Walmart. Lower prices every day :) Even buying from remote lodges is cheaper then buy things in Tahsis.

So let me get this straight. The IPHC has failed to build a proper way to determine the weight of a halibut. From the thousands lets say millions of fish they have used to create this data. So does that mean our TAC is incorrect? I don't think so. But obviously the folks is Tahsis think they have a different jean pool of halibut that is thicker then any other.

WOW has this ever gone off topic :)

<stuff clipped>
So let me get this straight. The IPHC has failed to build a proper way to determine the weight of a halibut. From the thousands lets say millions of fish they have used to create this data. So does that mean our TAC is incorrect?
No. As you mentioned/asked above there is a margin of error (otherwise known as natural variability in size/weight) that means the chart will work well for the average fish but there will be some fish that are either heavier or lighter than predicted by the chart.

I don't think so. But obviously the folks is Tahsis think they have a different jean pool of halibut that is thicker then any other.

WOW has this ever gone off topic :)
Jean pool? When did the halibut up there start wearing pants? ;-)

If you want the facts on fish catching take a look at our web cam!!! 3pm 6pm. Have a nice day!!

Instead of watching your webcam a real camera was used. Moments ago this 132cm thin halibut was weighed in at Westview Marina at only 4lbs..... LOL :)

FA your kind of crapping all over a little town and resort on a public forum. Going more then a little overboard IMO. Reminds me of how you slag yamaha every chance you get except now instead of a multinational corporation its small town BC that's the target and that's not cool.

You don't like it don't go. Sure make a post about your experience like you did in the reports thread but just one is enough. I bet if you limited out with big fish it would be the best place ever.

I understand and I know what a little over boards is. I try not to post garbage like this any more, and have done my best not to. Maybe you've noticed :)

I have gone a bit to far but so has this thread in another direction then it was started for. John has also gone to far and I am sick of it. The BS reports like these fish are at his back door, ya right. Tahsis is a boat launch that should only allow you to head to the actual fishing grounds and accommodations. Every post of his is a advertisement to come leave your hard earned cash in his pockets.

People need to see the other side of things once and awhile and hear about actual experiences good or bad.

That being said $300 worth of over priced fuel running to where the fish actually where we had an awesome time and fishing was fantastic. Would I ever stay or purchase fuel or gear in Tahsis hell no.

Please remember this thread was about a 92 pound halibut winning a derby cause of its thickness, it was not a thread started to be about John or Westview Marina. Though it has and I am sorry for that. This garbage should have only been in another thread and not this one.

My my guess is that in the future people won't post information about halibut that weighs 22 lbs heavier then the measured weight should have been. 132cm fish shouldn't weight 92 pounds.

My last post was meant to be funny, maybe you missed the humour :)

And it is true I won't be buying Yamaha again.... :) LOL

Back