Switching from Scotty 1106 to 2106

I wonder how long Scotty will continue to honour the warranty on these counters? I am already on number 2 for counters for this year and 2 last year. Another spare counter was also purchased for a $100 bucks last week.

I wonder how long Scotty will continue to honour the warranty on these counters? I am already on number 2 for counters for this year and 2 last year. Another spare counter was also purchased for a $100 bucks last week.
Apparently the new ones are sealed and guaranteed not to fog up.

I did notice the last counter I installed was slightly different and the light was blue. Will give a update later as it is only 5 days old and hasn’t been exposed to any rain yet.

I switched to 2106's this year and have many hours on them without a lost ball or failed counter. I really like the speed with 18's as I can work the pinnacles much more effectively

I just switched to 2106's and had a counter fail on my first trip. I bought a replacement as I was at Renfrew at the time. Dealer warranted it with a replacement counter than runs on batteries so assumedly, you just need to replace the batteries. Other than that, I love the quicker retrieval, especially when fishing structure. As long as you are running tuna cord for your stop and your ball is still in the water when it does stop, the ball will not rocket upwards, bounce, and break your terminal tackle.

Have had 2106s for 5 years. Went from manual straight to these. Just used those yellow Scott stops, use wire, and have never had a ball break off or "rocket"...even when using 10 pounders while lake fishing.
Had to replace both counters in the first year.....Scott sent me 2 new ones and not a problem since.

So what's the general verdict as far as carrying spare counters are concerned.?
Stand-alone counters or extra lids.
Kind of like the manual counter replacement idea although am not too sure about everything being exposed as there would appear to be no lid.
Strikes me that if you stop the ball in the water there shouldn't be any issues about losing balls.
When did Scotty upgrade the quality and reliability of the counters as that might be something to watch out for when buying either new or secondhand.
Anyway, no experience yet, but will be buying next season.

5 years on my 2106s now. Replaced first counter 2 weeks ago after carrying the spare for 4 years. Something to be said for living in the dry Okanagan! (And keeping the boat in a carport).

carry a spare lid with new counter in it. quick change.

I have had a couple of the first generation E counters fail early but the new ones have been good.

As for buying a spare lid for the 2106 with a counter, the advantage is that it gets you back in the water during bite time faster as you just put it on without messing with mounting the new counter. The other reason for having a spare 2106 lid is that they are not hinged like the 1106 so once in a while they can end up going overboard if you are not very careful with removing and replacing them, especially in bouncy seas.

I have had a couple of the first generation E counters fail early but the new ones have been good.

As for buying a spare lid for the 2106 with a counter, the advantage is that it gets you back in the water during bite time faster as you just put it on without messing with mounting the new counter. The other reason for having a spare 2106 lid is that they are not hinged like the 1106 so once in a while they can end up going overboard if you are not very careful with removing and replacing them, especially in bouncy seas.

Also the lid retaining clips wear/degrade over time and become unreliable. Can be replaced - but usually only noticed after you have lost a $110 (Berry's) lid and counter.

Has anybody switched to the Canons. I went from The 2206 to the 1106. I preferred the 1106 until we started fishing Entrance. Entrance you need the bigger balls. The 1106 are way better for when you have guest aboard because their slow and more forgiving. I'm just wondering about the Canon?

Back