SVIAC gone?

calmsea

I have been a long time member of this group and had high hopes. I haven't heard a word for a year now, the website seems stale and I hear rumours about important board members leaving. Anyone any updates? You can still donate and renew but wonder if its worth it.

I have been a long time member of this group and had high hopes. I haven't heard a word for a year now, the website seems stale and I hear rumours about important board members leaving. Anyone any updates? You can still donate and renew but wonder if its worth it.
have you tried phoning them??
(778) 426-4141

I am not sure if this thread woke them up, but I got an update letter today. They did not address membership or administrative issues. Lots of talk about net pens and salmon fishing outlook for this year.

Attachments

• SVIAC Newsletter DEC 24 FINAL-1.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 52
There's some good info in the newsletter - particularly the importance of taking all reasonable steps to develop MSF for 2020. Couple of points that need greater emphasis in the newsletter is;

1) the need for our sector to significantly ramp up efforts to provide DNA sampling, CWT heads (aka, hatchery heads), and Guide Logbooks....it will be this data that will help scientifically support areas and times where we have enough marked Chinook present to support an MSF fishery, and;

2) another point being we need this data to help us zero in on developing science-based "Avoidance Fisheries."

That I mean by avoidance fisheries, is using data on when and where stocks of concern are actually encountered in our fisheries, and design fishing options that help us avoid encounters with stocks of concern.

Unfortunately, without lots of quality data on which fish are encountered, where and at what specific times of the season, crafting "Avoidance Fisheries" is a real challenge. This is where we can help ourselves by providing quality catch data.

Yep data will be key for that area coming up. With the Fraser slide and fact it is funnel in JDF going to be extremely challenging next year.

Chris just got back from a couple months in Europe this fall...the first real time off and holiday I know about him taking since working with him.

Just wanted to pass this along about the Sooke projects. This bulletin shows you what we are all up to in the Sooke Watershed. The common goal I believe is to work together by working together and leave the politics out and produce a thriving fishery for all user groups.
And yes there were net pen chinooks in the river this year .

Attachments

• Sooke Bulletin_Dec2019.pdf
    776.1 KB · Views: 34
Yep data will be key for that area coming up. With the Fraser slide and fact it is funnel in JDF going to be extremely challenging next year.
100% right on, we desperately need people who are on the water a lot providing data on their catch. That said, there will still be areas and times where our fisheries encounter larger than acceptable numbers of stocks of concern - so any fisheries would need to be designed to avoid those impacts. Where the opportunity comes from is being able to pin point where/when we do not encounter stocks of concern and design fisheries around those to create opportunity.

How do we contribute? There is an Avid Angler program and Guide Logbook Program where people can contribute good quality data. Anyone can turn in hatchery heads, so pretty easy to help make a difference.

If we don't provide data, then don't blame DFO and others for our lack of fishing opportunities.

Back