Suzuki or Yami 9.9?

jcon12

Hey guys - here is my dilemma.. I am buying a new kicker for my 17 Arima.

It currently has an 09 Suzuki 70hp (900 hrs). Kicker will be a long shaft, tiller, pull start on a garelick bracket with an EZ steer and trollmaster hooked up.

I am leaning towards the suzuki 9.9 for the following reasons
-same brand as the main
-EFI
-can upgrade ECM to a 15-20hp in the future
-apparently the quietest kicker on the market
-$2800
-6 year warranty

I am considering the yamaha for the following reasons
-I always imagined I would repower the main with a yamaha
-gear selector is on the tiller
-about 12lbs lighter than the suzuki
-more dealer support
-better resale?
-costs a little more at around $2900
-6 year warranty

What would you do!?

Your list of pros for the Yamaha aren’t as big of a deal as the pros on the Suzuki IMO. 12lbs, a hundred bucks here a hundred bucks there.

Doesn’t compete with EFI and quiet.

Efi would be my vote. I have a 2017 Yamaha 9.9 which has been a pain at times starting it.

Is it a pull or electric start? My 2016 electric start is butter

I just replaced my Yamaha 9.9 with a Suzuki 9.9 and it’s fantastic. Very quiet and with the EFI, it starts like my main motor and my truck, both of which also have EFI. It’s worth it to me.

One comparable that I don't see on your list, Alternator Output.

Is there a significant difference, and is that important to you?

Is it a pull or electric start? My 2016 electric start is butter
Electric. I had a marine mechanic come look at it and he said it was because it has a half choke? Takes like 3-4 key turns to start. I thought something was off with the carb.

Are you aware that carbureted motors make more low end torque? Might be something to consider with an engine that you’d prefer to run at the lowest rpm possible.

I think Yamaha warranty is 3 years. I bought at 9.9 in July 20 and that’s what my bill says.

Hey guys - here is my dilemma.. I am buying a new kicker for my 17 Arima.

It currently has an 09 Suzuki 70hp (900 hrs). Kicker will be a long shaft, tiller, pull start on a garelick bracket with an EZ steer and trollmaster hooked up.

I am leaning towards the suzuki 9.9 for the following reasons
-same brand as the main
-EFI
-can upgrade ECM to a 15-20hp in the future
-apparently the quietest kicker on the market
-$2800
-6 year warranty

I am considering the yamaha for the following reasons
-I always imagined I would repower the main with a yamaha
-gear selector is on the tiller
-about 12lbs lighter than the suzuki
-more dealer support
-better resale?
-costs a little more at around $2900
-6 year warranty

What would you do!?

I just fixed mine which is Yamaha 2009 8p HT. I will most likely buying a new one before summer, and have been leaning to the suzuki, but still unsure. My only reservation is that I am fairly familiar with the carb system of the yamaha. For me I can pull carb out etc.

The only complaint I have ever had against Yamaha is the manual lift system/parts etc.

What would I do? I would probably go with same motors, and get eh EFI is I had your boat myself. If you do report back in a few months how you like the switch would like to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

I found a local supplier for suzuki who has a new 2019 model that has 5.5 years of warranty remaining.

They agreed to sell for $2500 instead of the 2021 promo price of $2800.

I was a Yamaha guy for 22 years and just recently went with Suzuki and so far very impressed with EFI well worth it.

If you’re looking for electric start, part of the reason I abandoned Yamaha kickers for Hondas and/or Suzukis, Yamaha does not have a pull-start option on an electric start. That for me is huge. Yamaha includes a pull start rope to wrap around the fly wheel in case of “an emergency”....

Yeah, right...

Battery issues? Lean over the transom and pull start your Honda or your Suzuki....Yamaha? Remove cowl....hunt around for the pull-start cord in your tool box....etc etc etc

If you’re looking for electric start, part of the reason I abandoned Yamaha kickers for Hondas and/or Suzukis, Yamaha does not have a pull-start option on an electric start. That for me is huge. Yamaha includes a pull start rope to wrap around the fly wheel in case of “an emergency”....

Yeah, right...

Battery issues? Lean over the transom and pull start your Honda or your Suzuki....Yamaha? Remove cowl....hunt around for the pull-start cord in your tool box....etc etc etc

That was another reason I went with Suzuki when I replaced my 9.9 Yamaha. And the price was unbelievable. Vector sold me a brand new one for about a thousand less than a new Yamaha.

I would go with the 20 hp Suzuki, only 9 pounds more than the 9.9 Yami. I'm on my second Suzi 20 hp, first was good but after 5 years time for a refresh.

Back