Suzuki df200 leaking oil when trimmed up

Fishtank

So went away for a week and stored my boat in my other driveway because I was having work done in the back yard. The boat was sitting a little bit bow down with engine trimmed all the way up, so water would drain to the front, I knew it would be fine cause it wasn't supposed to rain. When moving my boat back to the other driveway last night noticed a large trail of oil. The engine well had at least a quart of oil in it! Checking my dipstick today, looks like it's really low as it's not even registering on the dip stick. Ive noticed in the past my engine has leaked a little oil when trimmed all the way up and the bow down(was working on something for a few days). Any insight would be appreciated, I'm going to top up the oil before running the motor again.

and its not making oil? odd.

is it possible you overfilled your oil and it leaked out your filler cap when fully tilted ? I always leave my engine down when not trailering or washing the boat.

Only the over filled part would have leaked out then I'm not registering any oil on my dipstick

Wet spot seems to be around the top of the motor which makes no sense I'm taking off the tip plastic piece tommarow, it's not coming from the dip stick area

Most 4 stroke motors need to be kept in certain positions to prevent crankcase oil from getting into areas it shouldn't. Kickers have to be transported on one side not the other if laying flat and preferrably upright. I would investigate but I think you will find out that the combination of full tilt up and bow down is beyond where the engine can keep the oil in the crankcase. If you are going to have the boat bow down...don't tilt the motor up so high...go halfway or leave it down. Mine is always down...the only time it is tilted up is trailering down the road.

Most 4 stroke motors need to be kept in certain positions to prevent crankcase oil from getting into areas it shouldn't. Kickers have to be transported on one side not the other if laying flat and preferrably upright. I would investigate but I think you will find out that the combination of full tilt up and bow down is beyond where the engine can keep the oil in the crankcase. If you are going to have the boat bow down...don't tilt the motor up so high...go halfway or leave it down. Mine is always down...the only time it is tilted up is trailering down the road.
Thanks kind of what I was thinking but wanted some reasurance

Any sweat on the oil filter? Pin hole in the filter? Tilt forward gave it a place or chance to leak?

If there was a pin hole in the oil filter it would be pissing all over the place while it was running and the low oil pressure alarm would be sounding. He hasn't mentioned any problem like that, only leaking when tilted and bow down.

Yes no problems running the engines before as mentioned this is not the first time it leaked when left in this position- engine tilted all the way up and bow down

If there was a pin hole in the oil filter it would be pissing all over the place while it was running and the low oil pressure alarm would be sounding. He hasn't mentioned any problem like that, only leaking when tilted and bow down.
Thinking the pin hole developed while sitting or finishing up his last run. Sometimes it only will show a leak when it reaches 3000rpm its called pressure. Tilting everything forward might allow it to drip out especially with this hot weather.

There is a pressure relief valve to prevent blowing the oil filter apart.

I had this similar problem with my merc 4 stroke. I tracked the oil leak to my drive shaft and after talking to a merc dealer it was either my oil pump or crankshaft seal. Ended up being my oil pump which is situated directly under the power head and has the leg shaft splined through it. There was a small leak in one of the seals where the shaft splines through. Had to pull the powerhead and replace the oil pump. I did it in my driveway with and engine lift and was pretty straight forward. Would have cost a fortune at the dealer.

Hope this helps you identify or track down where the oils coming from....not familiar with suzuki but would assume the oil pump is similar in operation on all 4 strokes.

it's almost like turning your motor upside down by doing what you did by tilting motor all the way up and putting your bow down, makes no sense whatsoever why you would do it unless you are trying to drain the oil out of the top of the engine, lol. I think when you top it up and run it next time you will find out pretty quick where the leak is, be it a gasket filter or whatever.

I had this similar problem with my merc 4 stroke. I tracked the oil leak to my drive shaft and after talking to a merc dealer it was either my oil pump or crankshaft seal. Ended up being my oil pump which is situated directly under the power head and has the leg shaft splined through it. There was a small leak in one of the seals where the shaft splines through. Had to pull the powerhead and replace the oil pump. I did it in my driveway with and engine lift and was pretty straight forward. Would have cost a fortune at the dealer.

Hope this helps you identify or track down where the oils coming from....not familiar with suzuki but would assume the oil pump is similar in operation on all 4 strokes.

Just re read your first post and you can disregard my above post...my indications were a small amount of oil in my well after running ( less than an oz)

Back