Engine leaking gas - New boat owner

OneThirdCaptain

Hi,

Two friends and I purchased a little tinner last year and used it throughout the summer. We put 94 octane fuel in it prior to parking for about 10~ months.

Before starting the motor we changed the oil and put a new filter in and then tried to start the motor. As I'm guessing beginners would, we forgot to flip the choke and tried starting the motor. After realizing this we flipped the choke up and tried again and the motor started without issue.

Everythings great! Until we noticed a small drip of gas fairly consistently dripping out of the the following:

leak.png

It looks like it's dripping out of the screw on the bottom of this and we're not sure of the fix. Is there a gasket in there we need to replace?

Any ideas would help!

If you are going to replace one gasket you may as well rebuild the whole thing and if you can't do that just buy the new carb.

If you cannot find a gaskets, take the leaking area apart and see how thick the gasket is and then purchase a sheet of gasket paper and cut your own gasket

I would go for the total rebuild.. The Carb Guy in Victoria has rebuilt carbs for me but I think he might have retired.

Carb rebuild kits aren't expensive. Good off season project on a new-to-you motor is to remove the carb/s and do a clean and rebuild. Over time, there is a slow buildup of a varnish-like coating that can reduce the size of critical fuel passages and adversely affect performance. Take careful note of jet and adjustment screw positions, then disassemble. Soak the carb body in parts cleaner or brake cleaner overnight, blow it dry with compressed air, reassemble with the new parts. Re-set jets and float height as per manual. Carb bolts onto powerhead with a new gasket from the rebuild kit.

PS, search out a factory service manual online. I think it's essential for any marine engine I own, be it for maintenance, tuning or repair. Don't settle for one of those multi-model Clymer type books that claim to cover everything from 3 hp to 300 hp. Do some leg work and get one for your specific hp range and year. There are all sorts of owners groups these days that share resources like this, you may not even have to pay.

You are missing the choke linkage that would attach to the brass post..which also looks like its mount is bent. Small carbs like this one are easy to tear into, clean, adjust and re-assemble.

Back