Suzuki 140 HP thoughts?

I presently have an 1999 DT140 2 stroke on my Campion 542 Explorer and like it a lot, but it's not getting any younger. I know the 4 stroke is heavier with likely not as much low end torque. Any opinions on whether a new 4 stroke would be underpowered for my boat?
Thanks,

Shouldn't be as long as you stick with at least 140 HP. I had a 115 Merc 4 stroke on my 542 and it was OK, but barely. Had to be very careful with props so I could get up on plane with more than two in the boat and all the gear etc. The guy who bought my 542 upgraded to a 150 4S Merc and is absolutely delighted with the result.

My buddies 19' podded Glasply absolutely flies with a 140 4S Suzuki, but I do not know the dry weight of the boat.

The 140 main is quieter than the 4S kicker..

I used to run 140 zukes and really liked them. Very few problems.

Have on on my 22' starcraft Islander. Best motor I've owned. I think its a 2009?

I have had a 2009 DF175 on my boat for a few years now and it has been realy good so far lots of push when you want it and 0 problems

The df 150 is the same blk as the 175. The 140 is the max hp for that blk i think its a hopped up 115. If there is not much diff in price go for the 150. As for the Suzuki 140 or the 150 they are great engines and seem to be gaining market share. They had a 6 year warranty I don't know if they are still offering that

I've got a 2010 DF140 on myThunderJet. It smokes. No issues at all to date.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

I've just broken in the 175 suzuki on my --22' h/t,e/t, and am really pleased with the hole shot and wot speed---43mph @ 6100rpm. But that 6 year warranty deal expires on Mar 31.. As you probably know---the dealer support is great all across the island. good luck!!

i have twin 140 suzuki,s on my Grady , and they are incredible engines.
So quiet and smooth. and like the maytag washer machine , you dont need the repairman !
they have convinced me that i will never ever go with any other brand.

i have twin 140 suzuki,s on my Grady , and they are incredible engines.
So quiet and smooth. and like the maytag washer machine , you dont need the repairman !
they have convinced me that i will never ever go with any other brand.

I just got my 140 broken in and love it; 185 double eagle wot 6000 rpm 65kph sog with full tank of fuel, two people and all the fishing gear not bad might re prop for a bit of speed but motor itself is brilliant, quiet, clean and no problems so far

I've owned a 2014 DF140A for a year now. 100hrs first season, totally satisfied. Quiet, sips fuel, plenty of go for my 1600lb hull. Top speed so far, still fine tuning the setup, is 42mph. Best cruise fuel consumption is 18 L/hr at 28mph with 4 people and 120L of fuel aboard. Trolling burns less than 1L/hr.

I see the current 542 weighs 2000lbs. At that weight, consider the DF150 if speed and max load carrying capacity are desired, and if the boat can handle the extra 80lbs on the transom. The 140 is a gem of an engine, but a bit light on torque for heavier boats. If you run light, or don't need 40mph+, you'll love the DF140.

We have a DF140 on the boat... Came with it when we bought it. Excellent motor (2004 I think), quiet, runs really well. For what it's worth, she's a bit underpowered. Especially when loaded down. Previous owners were running the standard OEM prop on it and it really is less than desireable. Having to re-prop with a much lower pitch to get on plane quicker with a heavy heavy load.

Despite the weight of the boat. The Motor is great! Suzuki outboards are very reputable. Just as long as you have good support

Suzuki the quietest, most efficient, maintenance free outboard on the market. Just make sure you get enough HP for those days when you are loaded with gas, buddies, fish & beer.
We see lots of motors over the course of a season through our 150 slip Marina & Shop. Seriously, do the mfg recommend services & they are the most reliable engine out there.
FOJ

I run a 2006 DF140 on a 20' Thunderjet. Very economical, very quiet, very reliable. It works well for a light aluminum boat like mine. I run the OEM 19" pitch aluminum prop and get about 40-42 MPH at 5800-6000 rpm. It may be a little underpowered for your boat. As someone mentioned already, it's a souped up DF115 (same block, same displacement). If all your doing is cruising to your favorite fishing hole than it will be fine. But if you loaded down or pulling tubers or skiers, you'll be longing for more torque. If it were me, I'd pay the extra grand or two and get the 150 for your 542. Yamaha 150 is also a great choice.

AND , for those of you that are now convinced...
I may have a deal for you... a little Grady with twin 140,s which i,m still considering for sale.
I near sold it but the boat i wanted sold so i kept it .
But i,m now looking at another boat.

Back