Support goes swimmingly for salmon as B.C. symbol

MILLERTIME

15 Sep 2011 Times Colonist FRANK LUBA Postmedia News
Support goes swimmingly for salmon as B.C. symbol

Salmon have long been a symbol of B.C., and conservation groups said Wednesday there’s overwhelming support to make the species the province’s official fish.
The Pacific Salmon Foundation, the Fraser Basin Council and Living Rivers-Georgia Basin/Vancouver Island have a report that includes a Mustel Group poll showing 85-per-cent public approval for the proposal, with 93 per cent naming Pacific salmon as B.C.’s most iconic fish.
There was a proposal in 2009 from the Steelhead Society of B.C. to name that unique species as B.C.’s emblematic fish, but the most recent plea includes the steelhead among Pacific salmon varieties along with chinook, sockeye, coho, chum, pink and cutthroat trout.
As special as steelhead are, Pacific Salmon Foundation CEO Brian Riddell doesn’t think the fish that was formerly classed as a type of rainbow trout should be placed ahead of any other type of Pacific salmon.
“It’s a part of the Pacific salmon family now,” said Riddell.
He believes it’s important for Pacific salmon to be added to the Provincial Symbols and Honours Act, which already names an official flower (Dogwood), tree (Western Red), mammal (Kermode bear), bird (Steller’s Jay), mineral (jade) and even a tartan.
“We want to recognize the importance of salmon in B.C.,” said Riddell.
“I’m concerned, with a lot of other people, that they’re not getting their due support.”

I'd be all for it MT! Especially if it might make The Dino and their Provincial counterparts start paying at least a smattering of attention to their future abundance, and STOP their willy-nilly Death Mill approach to over-maximizing removals with abandon! Won't hold my breath on the latter, but anything that brings the salmon and their so-called "management" more into the public eye is a positive step!

Cheers,
Nog

Back