SuperTackle hoochies.....?

Seafever

Anybody here use the Supertackle "Pilchard" hoochies, be it east coast VI or west? Supertackle is run out of Nanaimo by a guy named Matt James. He has an e-bay store (Supertackle) and the selection is pretty good. I can't find his number in the phonebook though. Supertackle has quite a number of hoochies that come with circular dots on them in the "pilchard" style design. I would suspect that some of these are pretty effective for areas that don't harbor Pilchard.......for example, the Coyote "watermelon" spoon has dots on it and is effective on the east coast.....and there are several other "dotted" spoons that are pretty good as well. I know up around Comox last year they were using a Supertackle hoochy that was very good......but I still don't know which one it was. I ordered some on-line in the "pilchard/minnow" design to experiment with. Most of the dealers around here don't seem to carry a heck of a lot in the way of choice. The "CJ Special" spoons lean heavily toward "pilchard" colorations and dots on many of his spoons....and they are often deadly on the east coast. So I'm thinking certain Supertackle hoochies might also be pretty good. So have you used "pilchard" anything on the east coast? And have you used Supertackle hoochies.......if so which ones?.......(Sorry, still can't get my "enter" button to work on this site for some reason).

I have often wondered if the pilchard pattern works on the ECVI, i know this one spoon with the black dot on it is a killerimage.jpg

Id say forget Ebay, they sell supertackle hootchies at gone fishing and also at the gas go right on the water in Departure bay, they definately have some interesting pilchard patterns worth giving er a go...best of luck n tightlines!

I just put an order in a few days ago at Berrys Bait and Tackle and they have Supertackle 5 packs on for $2.99. I hadn't heard of them before but I got a few Pilchard patterns for Swiftsure this summer. They look good......but so do the other 50 colors I already have.....lol
1157.jpg

of course after seeing one in the mouth of a big chinook in a pic here last year I went out and grabbed some. no luck for me. only tried them once tho. wisebuys sells lots of supertackle.

JeffyWestCoast:- Yes.that's the Coyote "Yellowtail"...working off F.C right now and it was a killer in Nanaimo last year in the summer. Reelslim:- yes, those are the ones I want to try in the 4 3/4" size around off ECVI...I think they could be good right now too. DogBreath:- thanks for the info.......001.jpg The hoochies up in far left are Supertackle...I'm thinking they should be good for Coho later.......but I'll try 'em on Chinooks before that and see if they produce.......the spoons are stuff I've been playing around/making for bathtime off ECVI. The top 3 right are "SeaFour" lures that I've doctored up.

Last edited by a moderator:
just curious are the numbers on them spoons the leader length? nice work by the way, on the "fancy paint jobs", definately looks like you have a nack for makin you own spoons!

Jeffy:- yes it is the leader length of that particular spoon....and thanks for the compliment.....regarding the Supertackle hoochies it seems they don't go for the red slash around the eye. I don't know if this makes any difference. I've read in Jack Gaunt's books that sometimes they like the red, sometimes they don't. 98% of the time If I'm using hoochies , they have the red eye slash on them....so I'll have to wait and see.

Funny, was in hatch match'r today and Randy's brought in a bunch of this brand...was wondering the same thing

So there' lots of places that sell them mid-island on down south it seems.......thanks. Ian:- out of curiosity, where is "hatch match'r" and "Randy's"....

I (Matt) am a partner with my wife Marty (yes, she is a girl) as Supertackle. Have been in this industry since 1967 as my pops used to co-own Radiant Lures. Our target market is not British Columbia but more so global. Our lure patterns and colors are developed to represent many bait fish around the planet including local waters. I am not on this forum to spam, so I won't use our product names. We have approximately 180 new soft bait sport fishing products this year. This brings our product line up to 450.
Note: Our bait with the metal foil coating needs to be handled gently. Some guys say it rubs off in your hands. I would recommend to fishermen not to handle your tackle because fish are like wolves, they can smell. Many fish have 4 nostrils, 2 outer and 2 inner. I am not a scientist but we need to think like a fish to catch a fish.
Last year:
The Black hootchie with no UV worked very well off Victoria last year.
The Green, Black and White with non luminescent also reported well.
The Red and White's worked well down deep in Alberni China Creek when the water was dirty.
The 6½" squids worked great trolling for both salmon and halibut.
The guys off Nanaimo did well with the the 3" green, glow Hootchies
Now:
Cheaneh Marina is seeing good turkey & chicken Halibut using spreader, circle hooks, 6" gummy squid lures.
Nanaimo is seeing some experts averaging 2 fish off the fingers.

In respect to the comment about book published Jack Gaunt & Bruce Colegrave's "Bucktails & Hootchies". Bruce Colegrave was an early 3rd partner of Radiant Lures. The book was published in 1971 but is still available as reprints. Their early observations regarding lure colors and red eye pits on lures was speculation. The science is more accurate now and leans towards top water trolling with colors and deeper water fishing using lures that simulate natural bioluminescence. A lure can have a combination of qualities such as phosphorescent glow, ultra violet, reflection and refraction of light. The best way to map out your tackle is to get yourself a black light and shine it in your tackle box.

I am a busy guy and am going fishing now so I am logging off and will check back to sportfishingbc some day. Respectfully Matt James

So there' lots of places that sell them mid-island on down south it seems.......thanks. Ian:- out of curiosity, where is "hatch match'r" and "Randy's"....
Hatch Match'r is our local tackle shop in maple ridge, randy is the owner

Thanks Matt, and Ian. Here's a pic of some more creations......the bottom 2 right are Supertackle...one is out of the package and the other is "doctored" with black stripes. This Blue/Black/Silver combo is hot in certain places but I'm sworn to secrecy about where so don't ask.....thought I'd create the same effect on spoons and see what happens....the hoochies are doctored with a black Sharpie, allowed to set overnight and then rinsed off in the morning. One is a doctored old-time T-REX. Thought the pilchard dots might work.....will see.001.jpg

Matt and Marty are good folks to do business with. As he stated, his dad has been involved in this industry for a very long time. I met him and can tell you the elder Mr James is a great guy, too.

Not many people can lay claim to the knowledge of the industry and vast amount of lures as these folks can. When Matt said he is very busy, there is no doubt he is. They are ALWAYS working-- sometimes, too much.

Like anyone else in the field, he tracks what sells and what works in the many different areas. So if he says use somethng in a given area, use it. He won't steer you wrong.

I have no doubt that Matt knows the game. Green-Glow off Nanaimo has always done well..in all it's incarnations. Regarding handling hoochies..the Supertackle you pretty well have to......because they do not come with holes in them to thread the leader through. I am using a piece of stiff wire with the leader hooked at one end...and then poke a hole through the hoochy from the inside and then pull leader through. If there's a better way to do it please let me know. Right now I have to handle the hoochy extensively to rig it. Be nice if they came with a pre-drilled hole.

Pre drilled line holes.

I have no doubt that Matt knows the game. Green-Glow off Nanaimo has always done well..in all it's incarnations. Regarding handling hoochies..the Supertackle you pretty well have to......because they do not come with holes in them to thread the leader through. I am using a piece of stiff wire with the leader hooked at one end...and then poke a hole through the hoochy from the inside and then pull leader through. If there's a better way to do it please let me know. Right now I have to handle the hoochy extensively to rig it. Be nice if they came with a pre-drilled hole.

Hootchies alone do not have any swimming action unless you build in or add to their shape. Most old commercial fishermen do not prefer to have a pre drilled hole and prefer to use a hot needle the hole off center. This does add a minor swim action to a trolled bait. I prefer to use the end of a needle point hook to make the hole. A knife edge hook is not recommended because it can promote tearing.
I force the line through the nose, add three 8mm beads, then tie the first hook 4/0 Octo beak, then add a small 1" section of UV pink tubing bite guard, then tie a 3/0 Octo Beak trailer. The knots I use are Uni-snell. I prefer black nickel hooks, 40 pound test.
The alternative is to run extra beads and a black nickel swivel with a single magnetic SS Siwash hook. The dissimilar metals will create some ohms of electricity. This will sacrifice the hook but will attract some fish. If you do this method, change the hook frequently as it will become brittle.
We do make some new lure patterns with pre drilled line holes in the 4½" Skinny Boys and the 7½" Bloody Hell. We are open to listening to customers and will continue adding to our catalogue of products.
We may expand our product line to include 4¾" hootchies with pre drilled line holes.
Thanks for your feedback.. Matt

Thanks....I've known about the offset hole idea for years....tried it but it's never worked for me. The Supertackle have a pretty thick skin on the head end so if one was to go with the offset hole, there's lots of meat there to prevent a tear or rip compared to some of the thinner skinned hoochies around. Thanks again for your input , Matt.

Back