Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

I had an older 17’ aluminum that needed a new engine. I put a 4 stroke on it from an old 2 stroke and had a porpoise issue. It looked nothing like the boat above at rest but I still had porpoising so I put a $100 fin on the boat and it was a completely different boat. Zero porpoise, slower cruise, lower bow etc. I didn’t want to run a lighter engine because I needed the hp. I didn’t want to spend 2k on tabs because it wasn’t worth it . I also couldn’t raise the engine any further without significant work. I found a solution for 100$ that worked great. Not sure why you are saying it’s unfounded . It may not work for your particular boat but for some situations it’s good cheap option.

Thank you. Yep.

Bleep. Wrong again.

Motor height does not control that. Might add to it, weight distribution, prop type, engine trim ( engine height is involved there), there's many factors.

Too much weight on the stern boat will porpois. Get that bow down.

Stern slipping? What is stern slipping..

Man this thread is getting good.

Just look at that boat. It's porpoising sitting at the dock lol

Called chine walking to be specific. I find with hydrofoil it minimizes it. That was what I referring too.

I am just trying to help the guys that originally posted out.

Oh whatever blah blah. Lots of guys run them in Sooke if that's where your going. Why does it bother you? You know it is possible that others might do things differently on there boats?

Are you going to tell me to paint my boat color of your Hourston next LOLOLOL
NOPE not at all but you have never even used tabs and now your writing your an expert just keeping it real, ive seen those goofy things little hydrofoil things oin little and light boats not to many big boats im sure they work but as a last resort as for chine walking YUP experienced on my buddies donzi at 75 mph which btw scared the Sh%$ out of me.

My little 16' Lifetimer CC came with a dol-fin and I've left it on.
The boat rides very nice with a Yamy 50.
Had not reason to remove it.

For my Hewes... I don't love the idea of adding a dol-fin....
....and drilling my anti-cav plate :(
but if I knew it would solve all my troubles I would do.

My Hewes has these Nauticus Smart Tabs, which are 'passive' trim tabs, ..... which don't seem to do much :(

284388006_5328324003890560_4694987163063372725_n.jpg
My problem is really is due to weight distribution I think,
A heavy Yamy 150, with a heavy 9.9 big foot Merc, and dual battery, and a radar arch.
I'm loaded !

I've torn into the foam in the last few months,... just the bottom 1 inch of foam is wet, but the rest is dry.
So I'm not carrying 300 lbs of water on board.
I don't like the foam from a corrosion point of view so its coming all out.

The sand bags in inner tubes do help a fair amount, but its a band-aid until the weight distribution can be fixed.
One day I could relocate the dual batts to under the stairs to the bow
I have an aluminum welder (spool gun) now.

I appreciate everyone's input
As is I cant use all the power in my big 150, above 22 or 24 knots it starts to porpoise, but I have a lot more motor still.

Bleep. Wrong again.

Motor height does not control that. Might add to it, weight distribution, prop type, engine trim ( engine height is involved there), there's many factors.

Too much weight on the stern boat will porpois. Get that bow down.

Stern slipping? What is stern slipping..

Man this thread is getting good.

Just look at that boat. It's porpoising sitting at the dock lol
More power, more power, more power

A couple of you mentioned the SE300 fin solved this problem, Maybe I should start considering it

But it wont solve the static balance in the water at low speed trolling, or just floating.

For your porpoising run your boat at cruising speed and have someone look at your anticavitation plate. it should be at water level if buried raise the motor Motor height makes a huge difference. Popoising is caused by your proptrying to lift boat out of water then falling down and tring to lift falling. Motor height controls this
I've checked this early on while underway and in the driveway, and motor height is perfect

More power, more power, more power

Let's put a 4 stroke 150 on a tin boat that's 18ft. Then throw a kicker on it. Whatever else. That boat has waaay too much weight in the back. Multiple reasons

Naaw, toss a fin on it lol

Let's put a 4 stroke 150 on a tin boat that's 18ft. Then throw a kicker on it. Whatever else. That boat has waaay too much weight in the back. Multiple reasons

Naaw, toss a fin on it lol
Exactly lol, then just go wot till you hit 35 knots and wonder why your chine dancing

The poster never got back for a result on is the bilge wet. Is the foam wet. ? Those hulls Crack in the keel all the time. It's built with 2 halves, with an excruded piece of aluminum to join. That boat is over powered with a very heavy engine.

20210724_213121.jpg

The problem is right there.

The poster never got back for a result on is the bilge wet. Is the foam wet. ? Those hulls Crack in the keel all the time. It's built with 2 halves, with an excruded piece of aluminum to join. That boat is over powered with a very heavy engine.

View attachment 80501

The problem is right there.
I’m thinking to get the balance right, he needs to remove the 150 and replace it with a 115 or Zuk 140 and probably still move the batteries forward. It’s a lot of work but I agree, just too much added weight in the stern for a light aluminum boat.

I’m thinking to get the balance right, he needs to remove the 150 and replace it with a 115 or Zuk 140 and probably still move the batteries forward. It’s a lot of work but I agree, just too much added weight in the stern for a light aluminum boat.

Yessir, pretty sure you nailed that one

I'll bet with the batteries and all the stuff he's almost 700lbs at the stern

Yes I did give an update today, read up a bit.

I've torn into the foam in the last few months,... just the bottom 1 inch of foam is wet, but the rest is dry.
So I'm not carrying 300 lbs of water on board.
I don't like the foam from a corrosion point of view so its coming all out.

Have you tried a four blade prop? Four blades typically provide more lift and as previously noted proposing can be from not having enough lift.
not yet, but I've heard others suggest that also.
I have a turning point prop / hub, so I can swap props for less cost

Back