Sunbrella VS Top Gun Fabric for a dodger

poet1971

Hi Everyone,

Well I just pulled Mariah out and am getting her ready for another season. I want to give her a new enclosure this year. What is everyone's experience with Sunbrella vs Top Gun fabric for the dodger?:cool:

I have had both. Top gun is stiffer but super water proof and strong. Sunbella is also water proff and is alittle more sun resistant. Both are good products I think sunbrella would work and look the best. The top gun is a little cheaper and tougher and the top gun does not need backing on the seams but the sunbrella will need so kind of backing on the seams. Top gun shrinks more when it's cold vs the sunbrella

top gun.....awesome material...I haven't noticed the shrink thing....Personally from experience I find the top gun more durable, and seems to last longer.

I have had both, sunbrella becomes loose and baggy, top gun always retains it shape, doesnt stretch or shrink.
had mine moored for 2 years in the full morning and midday sun and never seen any fade and it was black.
bird poop rinses right off
go with top gun, better product IMO

When I had my top done I asked for top Gun, but I was told by my top guy a long list of reasons why sunbrella is a superior product. I went with the sunbrella and I'm happy with it. I think that its just a matter of opinion and both have been around for a while.

http://www.topgunboatcovers.com/

http://www.sunbrella.com/en_us/marine/

Intersesting but after a quick look it seems since 2008 the marine sunbrella has offered a 10 year warranty wheras it looks like TG is less at 5 year. That may say something about longevity... but not necessarily. I have used sunbrella for years and have no experience with TG....SB seems good but the fact it doesn't seem to stay drum tight bugs me.....and does seem to get loose and floppy after a couple years

You can add way more years to that just by having an area where you store the boat covered even with a portable shelter if you have the option...I find some many peopl fork out big money for that and then it sits outside in the driveway all year with no cover...Than expect to get 10 years..... If you have in marina that is not on option so I get it......

Even in summer if your not using put it under carport etc...The sun is not a friend to any of these fabrics...

Thanks everyone. I went with the Top Gun fabric. The top is just about done. I think I got a good fair price, and I'm super happy with the finished product. All zippers, more openings, complete rear curtain, and an upgrade to the frame. I'll post pictures soon.

Back