Summer Season Highlights

J-GLOBAL

Had a lot of great days on the water this year, but 2 stand out and its hard to say which was more special.

LOCAL
I spent one afternoon with my 6 year old son on the water in the Harbour. A beautiful sunny day, about 27 degrees, water was flat. This year was his first year salmon fishing on the boat. That day we filled our limit in a couple of hours. He reeled in his own fish, pinks (returned) and sockeye (kept). He also netted my fish, first sweep every time. It was the kind of day a father dreams about.

Offshore
Out of Ukee, fishing the wreck, with my nephew, brother and my dad -76 years old. Every year I'm thinking I don't know how many more years he has left on earth, let alone out fishing offshore.
Water was flat, sun was shining, and the monsters were biting. In 5 hours we had our limit of big springs. With the shining moment being my dad landing the biggest fish of the trip.
Fish hit on a monster pilchard spoon and the fight was on. It made a couple of jumps for us about 60 feet from the boat, and I though... that's a big fish... The fight went on for a while.
My nephew was saying "He's tiring out Pops, you almost got him"; but looking at Pops it was a war of attrition, and I wasn't sure he wasn't going to wear out first.
Nephew was on the net. Brother cleared the other gear, I was at the helm. Did the best I could to help out the old man, but as time wore on Pops was reaching the end of his reserves. Finally we got the monster close to the boat.
Nephew on the nest misses him the first time, and the monster takes another big run, almost straight down.
Pops takes a break, and they both rest for a while. Pops is worn out, holding the rod and leaning on his leaning pole. The fish down deep. We all saw the fish except Pops, and we're talking about how big the fish is... we don't want to miss this one, etc. for a few minutes while the combatants prepare to battle on.
After a rest, Pops starts bringing him back to the surface. As he nears, nephew says "I can see the Swivel" (we're running about 7' leaders from a bead chain to the spoon). Then he says "almost there, there he is", and of course Pops who hasn'r really seen the fish leans forward for a look.
The rod goes down, the Nephew misses the next swipe, and the the big fish powers away, not on a long run (I think he was almost done) but enough to be enough for Bro who says "I'll do it". Bro lays the rod he's holding down across the deck and assumes control of the Net.
Pops brings the fish back again, the fish still has some fight, but not a lot.
"Okay, I see the swivel" bro says. "Rod up Pops, back up a bit". Pops takes a 1/2 step back, trips backwards over the rod on the deck, and clinging to the rod in his hands keels over backward in the boat.
Pops goes down, the rod tip comes up, and the Fish is in the NET!
"Did we get him?" Pops asks from the flat of his back in the boat.
Yup, we got him.
38lbs, biggest of the trip.

I have no idea how Pops managed to not hit anything on his way down. But we managed to get him back on his feet, uncrumple him, dust him off; he was fine and the rods went back in the water searching for the bigger one...

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I had a few great days out of Pedder Bay this summer with my dad. I'm sure he will be telling everyone how we had a triple header and got em all in the boat, of course noting that his was the biggest fish. He was a happy camper that day. Also had some great trips out with first timers. Was great to coach them in getting their first salmon ever. After a few fights, they were pros. Funny **** watching them paper rock scissors over who gets the next hit. haha

Lucky to get to share Quality Time with your Pa J-G!
Got in on very similar action with my Pa this season, and those Fine Memories will never fade!
Hope both you and I have the opportunity to share many more with each of our Pa's!!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nog

Back