Subject: Protecting The Coast Will Create Jobs And Strengthen Coastal Communities, Say First Nations Leaders -

I don't think the Commercial folks see it that way - its more like creating an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), where FN's have access within these Environmental Sanctuaries to pursue economic opportunity and what then becomes of the commercial fishery, small coastal communities that rely upon those, families, jobs...not clear to me how this benefits all concerned. I'm all for protecting the environment, sustainable fisheries and furthering FN community engagement in all fisheries (FSC, recreational and commercial). Exclusive access in protected areas is questionable IMO. I would prefer to see other ways explored that engage FN's in the blue economy more broadly, deliver social and economic benefits to their communities - while treating protected areas as just that.

and the disingenuous narrative floated by Dallas Smith purposely excludes 2 very important truths:
1/ His personal economic gain, and
2/ the fact that any potential or realized impacts from ONP operations are not contained within any 1 FN territory as fish swim and water flows. Kinda a very basic reality that is never admitted by ONP proponents.

Back