Sturgeon

B

brycemcl

How has sturgeon fishing been? have the sockeyes affected it at all?

That was a nice fish caught... another one just over 11' was caught within a couple of days of that fish too!

To answer your question.... generally sturgeon fishing has been slow (more slow than good days)... way to much food in the river so they are stuffed and picky!

Still can find them, but this time of year should be going from good to hot and then to red hot! Will be interesting to see what it is like the beginning of October!

Mike

Hey Leaseman

Last year I came down and fished the lower river in Early November and the fishing was pretty good. Is there more feed in the river this year then last with all the Socks? I think that last year was a Pink run so there was a lot of food in the river also. I'm just wondering what you think the fishing should be like in early november in the lower river.

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Hi JAC-

I have had a few discussions of late with guides and non guides who are on the river lots......

The end result varies from a killer season to a sloooow season. With the amount of socs in the river now and still coming, we surpass the size of last years pink run and soc run....fishing is spotty now (good days and bad days) where in my experience it should be fairly easy double digit days from now going forward...... not the case. I have seen 1-3 fish days and talk to guys who are happy with 8 fish days!

Long story short (IMO), we will have a stellar, or dead season depending on how the dinos react once the dogs hit the river.... another couple of weeks (+) and we should be able to tell!

Hey Leaseman

Thanks for the tip. The reason I asked was I have book a floating home for 3 nights in early November to fish the lower river. If the fishing is really poor I might have to cancel and head over to Kootenay Lake they are in for a killer year of big Rainbows. I'm sure there will be some fish around in November and if we are able to catch 5 or 6 a day I'm pretty happy. Last year we did very good with Chum Roe at that time do you only fish Roe in November or do you fish a few different baits?

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Chum roe is the ticket.,....BUT..... I also always have some oolies in the bucket along with any hearts I can get my hands on and use some stink bait too.......:D

Fishing lower is tricky sometimes as there is a large group of fish that "live" in the area, none real big, but fun to play with...... you get more fish moving in when the Stave gets into full swing and the dogs start dieing off. Should be an interesting year! Hope the weather participates to a certain degree!

Mike

Hey Leaseman

I know I ask alot of questions but when I make the 5 hour trip down there I hope that I can find a few fish. I was wondering how far down the river you will fish? Can you fish all the way to the mouth? Are you able to give me any general area's to fish and the depth? One more question from my limited experince I found the high tide slack and the starting of the low tide to be the best bite? I have read that the bite is good when the tide is coming in but I haven't had little success at the time?

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Hi JAC-

Ask away any question! No problem......[8D]

Beginning of November, right? Are you coming down with both licenses?? I will be fishing from Fort Langley to Sumas Flats (mouth of the Vedder) depending on the amount of dogs around. Mouth of the Stave should still be hot then, probably losts of boats, especially on the weekends.... get out there (as a starting point) and watch the way the Stave flows into the Fraser.... fish that current down from the Stave. If you have your fresh water tag, fish up around the corner from Mission, mid river, roughly 35+ feet of water (most of the way on that straight strip)or up around the corner by the gravel pit.... this part of the river is a natural bowl shape and fishing it can be either hot or cold at that time of year....

Anymore questions just ask away and when the day gets closer, we can get more serious as to where the fish are!!!

Hey Leaseman

Thanks very much for the info. I have rented a floating home in Ladner and will tie the boat up to it each night. I will be fishing Thurs, Friday and Saturday and driving back to the okanagan on the Sunday. I was hopeing to fish from the port Mann area down river because its a long haul all the way to fort langley area. Do you know of any spots down that far?

Thanks
Jordan

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Sorry Jordan, I don't fish that low...... just might be worht the extra 30 minute run time to hit some of the higher spots or trailer boat up to at least the Port Mann launch!

Keep in touch and I will see if I can do some digging up of info..... from my understanding years past,the lower will deliver some fish, but with the distance you come, get into more action up higher!

Mike

Just an update....

Made the first trip in awhile out on Saturday...started fishing on an incoming tide... slow with the boat swinging big time! Things settled down and the bite slowly (and softly) started....

Several fished missed, one big one on for a short tussle then had some gear failure (don't use cheap swivels...[:I])... ended the day with 6 to the boat, biggest touching the 5' mark

Got 4 on stink bait and two on oolies!

Ebb tide-below the Alex's Fraser Bridge- Right hand side when heading up the river- on the flat in front of the Fish processing plant.;)

Hey Derby

I will be heading that way in a month or so. That spot in below the alex fraser is kind of a big eddy right is it good fishing? I fished there near a sign that says (cable below no anchoring) if you know the spot. How far below the bridge do you fish, and do you know any other good spot down stream?

Thanks
Jordan

hewesonthefraser.jpg

The spot is right in front of the Fish processing plant on the flat before the bridge-perha Just before Blue Water system where the Barges are parked. The deeper holes don't fish as well as the flat -the dino's like to sit on it.Not sure how it will fish in month usually found the bottem end does fish that well once it gets into late fall-:)

Hey Derby

thanks for the info did you mean the lower river is good in the late fall or is it bad? When you say the flats what depth in that 30-40' range or shallower than that?

Thanks
Jordan

hewesonthefraser.jpg

The lower is better in the spring-It usually never fished very well for me in the late fall not to say they aren't there- I would fish above as the Leaseman has suggested- The flat is about 20-30 feet straight out from the building.If you fish down low give this spot a try though it was good to me over the years
:)

Jac-

The biggest thing to think about is this is the last feed for the dinos before winter sets in.... just about anywhere on the river you can find fish, but look where they know their food sources are! Maybe if the plant is proccessing fish when you are down, there might be more fish in the area (illegal for them to dump now)..... up farther there is all the rivers that will still have soc and dog carcasses being flushed into the Fraser....

I would ask myself if you just want to get out for a couple of days, enjoy the scenery and catch a few fish.....or..... get into fish with the opportunity of nailing a good fish! General rule of thumb (IMO) for us is nice fish 3-6ft from Port Mann bridge to Mission bridge, above Mission you still get the little guys, but there is some real big, gear busting, arm burning, fish of a lifetime......:D

Back