Sturgeon mortality

Blackmax

I was watching on the news about a large sturgeon caught recently and the guide claims only a .05 % mortality rate on the fish.I myself find it hard to believe that this is the case,how do they know fish do not die after being released?

I was watching on the news about a large sturgeon caught recently and the guide claims only a .05 % mortality rate on the fish.I myself find it hard to believe that this is the case,how do they know fish do not die after being released?

Because a lot of them are tagged and if they died and washed up on the beach, they would be able to track them back to when and where they were caught. There are a lot of safe handling guidelines for Fraser River Sturgeon.

Sturgeon are not like trout or salmon. They are tough!!

I have been sturgeon fishing and thought it was kind of dumb, we caught 150lb and up but when I saw all the holes their mouth from previous catches I thought "what the heck am I doing"? Stressing out these large creatures for sport seemed wrong so I have not gone again.

OK I know that guide-Dean Werk by name-and a more solid knowledgeable no Bee Ess guy you could never find.

Keep in mind that Dean has been involved in Sturgeon tagging since the very beginning and has access to all kinds of data.

Yes I've caught Sturgeon that had obviously been caught before but it's also true that their physilology is quite different from that Steelhead (seen a number of young dead male Steelies that obviously had been C&R'ed on the Nitnat & didn't survive) and we've all seen Springs on the Stamp that croaked after a struggle.

My uneducated guess is that Sturgeon don't exhaust themselves when being caught-I've never seen one that didn't swim away strong after being released.

I've read that sturgeon can safely last up to an hour out of water, sometimes more. Of course reeasing as quick as possible is always best.

I have been sturgeon fishing and thought it was kind of dumb, we caught 150lb and up but when I saw all the holes their mouth from previous catches I thought "what the heck am I doing"? Stressing out these large creatures for sport seemed wrong so I have not gone again.

Gotta appreciate a true meat fisherman. If you can't kill it, why do it?

Mmmmmmmmm Fresh Sturgeon, Its yummy. I find it to be a mild blend of Orca and spotted Owl, with a slightly more delicate flavour that flies fresh off the palate. Excellent when spiced up a bit with Vancouver Island marmot.

Do some homework before you put this on a bunch of sites.
Ask the F/N who used to tie them up and then eat them alive how well they survive.

Anybody have any idea what the mortality rate is for the sturgeon that get caught in the FN gill nets? My bet is close to 100%. Especially when those nets are left unattended and over night.

The catch and release only model on the Fraser is not harming the stocks in any significant way. If you have evidence otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Anybody have any idea what the mortality rate is for the sturgeon that get caught in the FN gill nets? My bet is close to 100%. Especially when those nets are left unattended and over night.

The catch and release only model on the Fraser is not harming the stocks in any significant way. If you have evidence otherwise I'd love to hear it.

No kidding. As we learn more about this fish and where it likes to travel and hold (thank you to those on the tagging program), the more the bag fleet (commercial and FN) can learn how to avoid them in their nets by choosing areas that attract Salmon and not Sturgeon. Gill nets are so harsh, sure Sturgeon have tough skin, but you have to wonder about the durability of their gills as they cannot avoid all the nets all the time!

If you check the Albion test sets regularily, its not uncommon for them to net sturgeon in their drift nets. And they only have them in the water for 20 minutes! Imagine the damage of over-night Native Gill nets. If they do have DOA sturgeon in their nets, I sure hope they eat them...I've heard they are some of the best eating whitefish, rivaling halibut. Temps me to head down south where they have a slot limit between 3 and 4 feet or something to try one for myself!

Two stories, are they true.Years ago commercial gill netters say Sturgeon would live in the bilge for days from the water that would leak in. Digging up fields around the Vedder Canal they found live Sturgeon alive in the mud.

Back