Stupidly sensitive steering on my boat.

RiverBoy

I have a Yamaha f-90 on my 17' Campion explorer center console with hydraulic steering. When I let go of the wheel to tend to a down rigger, my boat dives to the side I am working on.Badly. I could probably do a complete 180 degree turn in 40-50 feet just by leaning on the gunwhale. It is very frustrating, as I can hardly set the one side, with out grabbing the wheel and correcting my course at least 10 + times. It basically has rendered my boat unfishable, with two riggers on my own. The guy at CR Boatland basically said this is common, with a deepV hull boat. Does anyone else have this problem, or any solutions?

common,, learn how much you need to counter steer before you go for the rod... ya kinda gotta read the play,, wind current and yes, yerfat butt going to the low corner,,its like docking and having people move around the boat as you are going slow. IRRITATING. as long as your motor is not moving it is not an air in line problem.:cool:

If its pulling hard to one side when your up on step you could adjust the trim angle thing in the cav plate

This happens to me when I am fishing by myself....probably not as bad though.

Before I go and set gear, I counter steer the boat in the opposite direction as the side I am setting...usually works. Into the wind is a different ball game. I try yo set gear downwind only.

FishWish

I would look for leaking check valves in the helm. Proper hyd steering should not move unless YOU move the wheel. ( I'm assuming you are having the motor move? )
The boat changing direction because the load ( you ) moving is affected more when the motor is trimmed in a lot - try trimming out the motor just past vertical at trolling speeds and see if it holds direction better

yes as long as your motor is not moving/turning it is not an air in line problem, just a shift of ballasst. keel steering.

I have the same problem with my DE. I put a 5 gal water jug on the opposite side to the side I'm fishing ( I only fish one rod when alone)and counter steer which made a big difference. TW is bang on with the keel steering.

Back