Striper 182 Centre Console

Damien

Does anyone have any experience with these?

1993-seaswirl-182-center-console-ppmmvv.jpg

My needs are lake and near shore salt chuck with some tubing and light duty family cruising. But truth be told, 75% of the use will be lake trolling and jigging.

They typically come with bow fill cushions which according to my wife will be enough in her books to get the greenlight on a purchase. (she wants a bowrider, but is willing to comprimise with one of these given the bow seats and ability to stretch out from the seat in front of the helm to rest her legs on the bow fill cushions etc. As represented here;

8502.jpg

I just sold my 17.5 foot modified V with 70hp in favour of something that is at least a bit more family friendly. And a boat that has the ability to hit the chuck to troll for salmon a few times a year and drop traps from time to time.

It will be nice to hit the North Shore or Howe Sound, or at least have it as an option on fair weather days.

I'm looking at one with a 90hp Yammy 4 stroke. They are very similar to a Campion 492 as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you share.

Buddy has a 17' centre console, hourston knockoff, great to fish from, lots of room to move around when that fish you've hooked won't co-operate and stay at the back of the boat,jigging would be quite easy for the same reason. A few downsides, you mentioned family, kids get tired, having a cuddy gives them someplace to go and rest. It's not often bikini weather in Howe Sound so being warm and dry is a big plus. Insurance companies don't like bow riders, taking a wave over the bow can be a lot more dramatic in a bow rider, hence higher costs to insure, they also don't care for tubing or waterskiing, but hey now I'm being a wet blanket. Buy the best boat you can afford, and I'm sure you can make it work for you.

Stripers are well made and solid boats. You wont be disappointed if the engine is OK. It will handle some rough water but obviously you will be a bit exposed.

Good to know. It is a 1994 hull with a 2008 90hp 4 stroke.

Any known issues with that vintage? I just sold my boat with a 2002 Yamaha 2 stroke which I really loved.

The boat is a ways away from where I live. Any thoughts on having it brought to a marine mechanic for a pre purchase inspection/survey? After seeing the results of the survey I woud venture to go get it...

Ask him for a compression test on the motor, they are easy to perform. A compression test got me free labor for a rebuild on my last used outboard purchase.

Back