Stinger Hook on Anchovy

Slabby20

Do you run a stinger hook on your anchovy set up? Where should that stinger be, right at the tail or behind the tail? Final question, what size hook do you suggest for the stinger, if you use one?

A 3/0 Owner 2 inches behind a #2 VMC treble stayed in the 2nd fish of a solo double header at Nootka for me. I hook the bait farther back on Krippled holders so the trailer is behind the tail. With Rhys Davis it is about level with the tail. Doesn't seem to matter if it rolls well.
This setup is no good offshore, too many wild cohoes, use two singles.

we're trying a "head stinger" for those hit and miss strikes...
slide a treble down the leader and tuck one point just inside
the holder.
if the fish hits from the front or side, the front hook should hook up.
surprisingly doe not affect the roll of the bait.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Do you run a stinger hook on your anchovy set up? Where should that stinger be, right at the tail or behind the tail? Final question, what size hook do you suggest for the stinger, if you use one?

I'll rig my 'Chovies with 2 5/0 Gamakatsu's...or a #1 Treble followed by a 5/0 single stinger. With the size of 'Chovies I use and the speed I troll at, the snappy roll just slays them.

Depends on the time of year, but at this time of year, that's what I use off and on. If I'm lazy...I'll use the "TV leaders" I tie in the winter dreaming about springtime springs...and I use smaller chovies...and I'll tie with 3/0 hooks.

Stinger hooks ROCK!

Back