Sting operation

I guess you need to define your definition of “Random Checks”? There is a fine line between random checks and invasion of privacy; however look at the alternatives. I may not like it – but there is a “valid” concern!

If you read the article referenced, you will note – while in Canadian water, the Canadians are in charge! I personally would be “comfortable” as the “Canadians” are the ones enforcing laws that may or may not be applicable in their waters. Honestly… there isn’t that much difference!

Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, Omar Farooq al-Nigeri, or whatever his name actually is or what he wants to be called - might not be a good example?

He would be the fourth president of a London student Islamic society to face terrorist charges in the past three years. His name was “not” on the U.S.’s 4,000-name “No Fly List”. His name was added in November 2009 to the U.S.'s 550,000-name Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, database of the U.S. National Counterterrorism Center. It was not added, however, to the FBI's 400,000-name Terrorist Screening Database, the terror watch list that feeds both the 14,000-name Secondary Screening Selectee list and the U.S.'s 4,000-name “No Fly List”, nor was his U.S. visa revoked. The State Department had wanted to revoke his visa, but U.S. intelligence officials requested his visa not be revoked as it could have foiled a larger investigation into al-Qaida. The British had revoked his visa, but did not inform the Americans as the visa application was denied to prevent immigration fraud and not for a national security purpose. Could have been a "fatal" mistake, but hindsight is always 20/20.

If you really want something to relate to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_2009
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001454.html
Concerning the marine environment, read the history of the USS Cole bombing, August 8, 2000

If there is any thoughts this is only a U.S. issue? Might want to check this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Toronto_terrorism_case
And this really puts it into perspective, note British Columbia is there: http://www.globalincidentmap.com/
Scroll down and go to Terrorism Event Predictions, check the box for Canada. "Canada - Bomb Incidents/Explosives/Hoax devices. A 100% chance of an incident in the Next Month"

BTW… there were two dozen (that would be – 24) Canadians that died in the 9/11 attack, which is why Canada responded dispatching troops to Afghanistan and the Arabian Gulf.

IMHO - I believe you have a “very” valid threat at this time!

As predicted

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-security-measures-past-games/article1482766/

There is a big difference in willfully crossing the border and not. I expect to be searched and questioned when I enter any foreign country. I do not expect to be searched and questioned while at anchor fishing for Halibut in Canadian waters.

In regards to the Canadians being in charge in Canada , that is a joke. Boarding vessels without cause has never been a practice of our enforcement agencies in Canada , yet since the US Coast Guard have been inolved in this "joint program" it has become commonplace in our waters. It is one more hassle that is being passed off as a nessesity , so we can be free from the evil terrorists.

This is a job creation program plain and simple.

Terrorism is aimed at creating widespread fear in order to further an ideological goal. The definition seems to fit this type of governmental and cross-border surveillance quite well. I doubt it is directly intended to let us all know we are being watched. But it does have the predictable effect of making us all fear that terrorists are lurking everywhere, including our favorite fishing holes. Perhaps this type of state action creates fear (of terrorism itself) in order to further its own ideological goals. Fight fire with fire, fight terror with terror I guess. One thing is for certain, I don't feel any safer. But then, I was never scared in the first place.

Canada Shipping Act:
Powers

(4) Enforcement officers acting under subsection (2) and inspectors acting under subsection (3) may

(a) stop or board the craft at any reasonable time;
(b) direct any person to put into operation or cease operating any machinery or equipment on the craft;
(c) direct that the craft not be moved until the inspection is completed;
(d) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that it does not meet the requirements of this Part or the regulations made under this Part or exposes any person to serious danger, and direct that it not be operated until it meets those requirements or no longer exposes any person to serious danger; and
(e) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that the operator does not meet the requirements of the regulations made under this Part, and direct that the operator not operate it until the operator meets those requirements.

Hey Quicksilver , I think you are taking the act out of context. Your quote of the act is referring to a "Enforcement Officer" boarding a vessel to inspect for structural integrity and vessel structure compliance.

(2) An enforcement officer may inspect a pleasure craft or any of its machinery or equipment for the purpose of ensuring compliance with any provision of this Part, other than section 197, or the regulations made under this Part, other than the regulations made under paragraph 207(1)(f), (g), (i) or (j).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-10.15/page-6.html#anchorbo-ga:l_10-gb:s_195

that makes two of us !![}:)]
quote:Originally posted by holmes

quote"This is a job creation program plain and simple."

Who created the need for the jobs?....holmes*

i wish i could find this many worms for fishing...lol

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hey Quicksilver , I think you are taking the act out of context. Your quote of the act is referring to a "Enforcement Officer" boarding a vessel to inspect for structural integrity and vessel structure compliance.

(2) An enforcement officer may inspect a pleasure craft or any of its machinery or equipment for the purpose of ensuring compliance with any provision of this Part, other than section 197, or the regulations made under this Part, other than the regulations made under paragraph 207(1)(f), (g), (i) or (j).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-10.15/page-6.html#anchorbo-ga:l_10-gb:s_195
I believe Quicksilver would be correct there! [:0]:D

If you go down to "Powers" which is what Quicksilver quoted. Under Enforcement officers, it refers you back to subsection (2) and inspectors back to subsection (3). What you are missing is under Section 196, you have two separate headings. The first is "Inspections - general". Where subparagraph (2)falls under. Then comes your "Inspections - structural", which applies to your structural inspector subparagraph (3).

BTW… if you were to read Bill-C-60 ‘Keeping Canadians Safe (Protecting Borders) Act.’ Which does "not" have an expiration date! You might be surprised – just what those U.S./Canada "Siderider" guys can legally do!

Yep, they all have "full authority" on both sides - same same RCMP! [:0][:0]

Hey holmes , sorry no slag intended. I like your humour , you are right this is a big can of worms.

Charlie , The Canada Shipping Act 2001 does not have enforcement acts over and above vessel crewing , construction and structural issues and equipment standards. The term inspector refers to CSI inspectors (Canada Steamship Inspector) it is not referring to law enforcement.

Both of our countries already spend significant dollars on policing in Haro, Georgia and Juan de Fuca straits.

1.We have undersea sensors monitored by a joint task force Whidby Island.
2.Coast Guard Stations in Bellingham,Port Angeles , Richmond, Saltspring island and Neah Bay
3. Full radar coverage monitoring all vessel movement monitored in Canada in Patricia Bay.
4. Canadian Navy drug interdiction helicopters. Daily Flights
5. Full US air coverage from Whidby Island with a dedicated Blackhawk helicopter fully armed for Juan de Fuca.
6.Daily RCMP and Canada Border Service boats on Patrol out of Canada
7. daily American Coast Guard Patrols
8. Special Service and High Speed interdiction , Scarab etc in Bellingham.
9. JTF Canadian special service boats "covert" RCMP operation high speed interdiction vessels.
10. Washington Fish and Game.
11. Canadian department of Fisheries , boat and aircraft.
12. Municipal Police forces and Sheriffs boats.

Enough is enough , we are covered we are protected.We don"t need another layer of policing trampling on our right to privacy and to live a life free from harassment.

And... Now we have:
quote: BTW… if you were to read Bill-C-60 ‘Keeping Canadians Safe (Protecting Borders) Act.’ Which does "not" have an expiration date! You might be surprised – just what those U.S./Canada "Siderider" guys can legally do!

Yep, they all have "full authority" on both sides - same same RCMP![:0][:0]

Beemer not taking it out of context they can board for Structual Copliance or inspection. There are numerous laws, both federal and provincial, that provide enforcement officers with authority to board and inspect vessels without a warrant. Most notably are the provincial liquor control laws, and the federal Criminal Code, Fisheries Act, Environmental Protection Act, and the recently passed amendments to the Migratory Birds Convention Act that prohibit “deposits” of oily bilge water.
I Don't like it anymore than anyone else it is getting to be to much all this security crap.

Hey quicksilver 11 , I would highly doubt that any RCMP or American Coastguard officers are certified Canadian Steamship Inspectors, which is what that clause is referring to.

A good letter to the editor on the subject in todays Times/Colonist.

Shiprider violates Canada's sovereignty
By Michael Symons, Times ColonistMarch 3, 2010 I have to disagree with Jack Knox's recent warm and fuzzy column on Operation Shiprider (Feb, 26).

Cross-border communication and co-operation is fine. But no Canadian should feel comfortable with armed U.S. police and military personnel operating within our borders. It is a feeble excuse to compromise national sovereignty for the purpose of soothing U.S. paranoia (backed by an implicit threat to tie up the border).

Just ask the pleasure boater who was stopped three times by joint boat patrols between the U.S. border and the Gulf Islands on his way to Vancouver, or the dozens of other citizens out minding their own business on the water who were accosted over the past couple of weeks by these armed sorties.

If either country should be complaining about border security it should be Canada, seeing as, according to the column, what is flowing south are relatively soft recreational drugs and what is flowing north is "guns, money and cocaine." It seems to me that the U.S. has some explaining to do regarding border security.

Michael Symons

Pender Island

Back