Steering on your kicker

This is how I connected the kicker to the big Merc.

100_0281a.jpg

This is a new boat to me, so I really don't know, but on my previous boat I had the same set up and had absolutely no vibration.

Canso
You need a marine store.
Find a shop that deals with Payne Marine from Victoria (wholesale only).
They list the fittings you need on page 97 of their catalogue for a 3/8" rod size which is a good size.
http://www.paynesmarine.com/documents/Vol 10 Online PDF/Steering & Controls.pdf
Alternatively try West Marine or other shops of that type.

Tip: Don't use pre-threaded readi-rod. Get and thread a piece of 3/8 stainless rod.
The threads on the readi-rod can scratch your gel coat.

Tip #2:
Get a pool noodle or some other floatation material with a hole through the centre.
Feed the rod through the centre and tape the ends onto the rod away from the connection.
Test for buoyancy in a tub or at shore so if dropped overboard it will float.
Don't ask how I learned the need for this.

OR fuel line slides right over top and cut the fuel line for anti vibration make your own cusion washers any thickness you want and likke fabbing you will find the thickness you will need...
wolf

This is what I put on my sled, 5/16" ball ends, ready rod and cover the rod with vulcanizing rubber tape, rigged for under $20. I can easily steer with the tiller or the steering wheel upfront.
For the ocean boat I’m currently rigging a 15hp pro kicker with TR1 gold Auto pilot. Then the wife can read her book and the kids can play on the floor while daddy works in the back
tierod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back