Steely and Sturg fluke ?

high tide

Hello every one,

Just wondering, over your fishing time on the Chuck, how many and who has EVER caught a Steel Head or Sturgeon while fishing on the Chuck ?

I recall my dad getting a Steely off Pt. Roberts while salmon fishing, on herring strip some 45 years ago. Here we have the Mighty Fraser with both big runs of Steel Head and Sturgeon thoughout the system ......... but how many have ever caught any on the Chuck? And what did you get them on and method ?

Just Curious.

HT

Caught and released about a 16-17 lb wild steelie near the QA marker a few years back in early September, it took a pink sockeye hooch at 70'.

Good fighter, it jumped several times. Speculation was that it may have been a Thompson fish.

never a sturgeon, in around 1985 i caught a est 6 lb steel on a buzzbomb, then a huge spring swallowed it. all that was out of the springs mouth was the tail of the trout and my line.

couple at potlatch creek (howe sound) from the dock using chrome buzz.

never off shore or in barclay sound.

Not personally but my old man boated a 22lb steel on a cutplug off langara back in the late 90's, gotta see if I can find the picture , they don't come much nicer.

Got one off the top end of the charlottes in 1994 on cut plug. probably 12 lbs would of been a lot bigger but it was long and skinny. figure it must of been just going back out to sea from the river.

Dad got a 18 pound steely one of the last years he fished brentwood for springs on a hootch flasher combo. long ago.

-KK

Two steelhead in Johnstone Straits.. last one was two years ago ... on pink gear

Once caught a tagged steelie in the Charlottes. Tag was from the Kalama River in Oregon. about 7 lbs. Cool to see a fish on its "second" migration as they tag them when they come back on their first trip.

I got a wee small Sturg off Solander one year.
And even had a few in the bellies of Hali's up there.

Caught a really nice stealhead off Tofino/Ucluelet in the early 90's while commercial trolling.Took a 5" 109 scaleback
Tomic plug.The skipper ended up sending it home with the wife when we came in from a trip.We weighed it at the
fish buyers and it was 19 lbs. dressed. Would of pushed 22-23 lbs. in the round.Nice frickin' fish!

Cool hearing your catches guys .... specially the Sturg in hali bellies ........ go figure.
Fished the mouth of the Fraser my entire 50 + years ......... never got a sturg yet and yes I do frequent the bottom.

HT

Back