Steelies on the North/Central Coast....or where?

Pippen

Hey Guys,

I know very little about this topic and don't know if it can be done in freshwater that is still ice free, or if you have to still be in tidal for this; or even what actually IS open during the winter.

WHERE can you go to fish for Steelies during the winter up the central coast? I know talking to a friend in Smithers that the Bulkley is pretty much done due to ice now and he mentioned we would likely have to look towards Terrace area?

Anyone able to shed some insight? My sort of brother in law is wanting to get 3 of us to do a trip if it can happen....I just have to do the 'research'.

Also....what type of gear do you use? Do you chuck flies.....or is it more gear-type fishing?

If it IS flies....I gotta hit the field by house and start practicing!!
eek.png
I figure if I am going to get the Steelie bug....why just dabble....I may as well just jump right in and head north of Vancouver.

Cheers and thanks for any info you can provide.

Scott

Actually.....I should maybe add. Is this something at this point that I should be looking to next summer/fall?

Actually.....I should maybe add. Is this something at this point that I should be looking to next summer/fall?

If you could do it Pippen, i would recommend waiting until Sept and head up where your buddy lives. Especially fishing flies although if you're not experienced i would recommend drift fishing with a float. You're probably going to be bombarded with recommendations but there are a lot of Steelhead in the Skeena watershed.

Yes it's winter in the Skeena country now and that means only the hardiest folks are out in sub zero weather.

You can follow the reports on Noel Gyger's site.

Steelhead are easy to catch but relatively few and far between compared to other river Salmon.

Especially in winter the water is so cold that they don't really fight all that hard lots of people don't like to hear it but it's true-Chums for instance fight harder but are often so common that people disparage them.

Also consider carefully before committing a lot of dough to chasing a declining resource-there's so much idiotic snobbery around Steelheading it's stupid.

EDIT-You don't need a guide in Skeena country if it's just bank fishing you want-fly to Terrace/rent a vehicle/get a motel with a kitchen and you're all set lots of waters to chose from (many of then surprisingly crowded).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back