steelhead october thompson

For a new fisherman on that river, it can be a REAL challenge. It helps to have a mentor-- thats how many of us got into the big water fishing on the Thompson. Also-- a lot of us oldtimers were spoiled back in the 70s and 80s when steelies were numerous compared to today. I have not bothered now for 20 years.... a big switch from weekend trips all through October and November.. There are a bunch of other guys on this forum that I know have great memories of "The good old days".

For a new fisherman on that river, it can be a REAL challenge. It helps to have a mentor-- thats how many of us got into the big water fishing on the Thompson. Also-- a lot of us oldtimers were spoiled back in the 70s and 80s when steelies were numerous compared to today. I have not bothered now for 20 years.... a big switch from weekend trips all through October and November.. There are a bunch of other guys on this forum that I know have great memories of "The good old days".

ssshhhhhh.. :)

Like Cuba Libre i havn't gone for many years, used to put in at least 10 and sometimes 20 days a season on that river.
Got spoiled with multiple 20 lb plus steelhead days and couldn't go back and spoil my memories.

Personally saw a few over 30 lbs caught

Still a beautiful river to fish regardless of what used to be.
Just go up there as soon as the river opens and you should do well. A fish a day is considered well :)

It's a special river.

HS.

Very, very sad actually. Used to be the forecast run size had to be 2500 fish for them to open it, which was never a problem in the glory years. Once the run started to fail, the number required dropped to 1500 fish, then to 1200 fish and finally to 800 fish. Last year, despite the forecast being only slightly better than 700 fish, the river was opened to steelhead fishing anyway. Many, including myself, don't fish it anymore with the stock so weak.

Truthfully, though, a bit of catch and release angling isn't the culprit, the key spawning systems - the Nicola/Coldwater, Bonaparte and Deadman have had the habitat hammered and water extractions are uncontrolled and unsustainable all in the name of supporting the agriculture industry, forestry, etc in the Interior. Combine extreme water extraction, less than 90% of historical riparian habitats and severely degraded instream habitat and a sea going trout that has to rear in the freshwater ecosystem for 2-3 years doesn't stand much of a chance. Sad thing is the Conservatives can change the Fisheries Act to severely weaken habitat protection and cut 60+% out of DFO's Habitat Program and it barely registers any response from the fishing community, let alone the general populace of BC and Canada. I see uproars over Commercial harvest practices or perceived FN poaching on here all the time but the Conservatives ensure the rape of the habitat foundation of our fishery and our children's fishery and it barely registers. Very, very sad.

Ukee

If it opens??.... Surprised I haven't heard that yet.....

... and it barely registers any response from the fishing community, ... Very, very sad.

Ukee

I am surprised that you are so surprised as the majority of citizens voted for the Cons so they should not be too critical about their moves. It's not like they hid their agenda before the election. Canadians chose knowingly economy over environment. Any uproar about that would be too hypocritical, don't you think? And especially the BC Interior is deep dark blue.

I have heard whispers about a bait ban on the T this season or at least talk of it if it opens. I'm all for it not that it's a make or break for this great strain of fish but a little help won't hurt. I still feel a small opening and having eyes on the river to protect from poaching is a good thing. Open it while making it a little more difficult to catch them is the lesser of two evils.

Back