Steelhead and nets. By Bob Hooton

Wow, considering hatchery steelhead on the T? That would ignite an interesting debate as so many have been vocal in their disdain for this.
No doubt there will be a debate, however extinct steelhead means no hope of ever recovering the genetic base $ coming

Has been done before.

It will be interesting to see who pays for it, if it actually goes forward.

Wow, considering hatchery steelhead on the T? That would ignite an interesting debate as so many have been vocal in their disdain for this.

Well the debate better be among science.

As you note, do nothing at all and say goodbye forever.

No doubt there will be a debate, however extinct steelhead means no hope of ever recovering the genetic base $ coming

upload_2018-11-23_8-3-57.png
upload_2018-11-23_8-4-29.png
upload_2018-11-23_8-5-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-23_8-5-46.png
    upload_2018-11-23_8-5-46.png
    31 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2018-11-23_8-6-32.png
    upload_2018-11-23_8-6-32.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
A group of salmon fishermen met with the two Provincial Ministeries closest to the steelhead file today in Victoria at the Legislature. Barry Crow and I were there, as well as 2 area B seiners, an Area H troller, and Kim Olson from the UFAWU.

The main focus of our presentation was to make sure the provincial government is aware that if these two steelhead stocks do end up listed under the species at risk act, that our fishery is basically over, and in particular the Area E and Area H fleets are finished, and it will not help the steelhead at all.

Here are some points we went over:

-due to low productivity, reduced exploitation rates have not resulted in increased return of steelhead.

-the three biggest problems are; Altering ocean conditions, Habitat degradation, and increased pinniped predation. Shutting down the commercial salmon fishery with rolling closures through the summer will not help these three problems.

- We also talked about bycatch in the commercial fishery, the recreational catch and release fishery, the shared life strategies of the rainbow trout and the steelhead, and how they are genetically the same animal.

- Its hard to see any good the Province can do, but we have encouraged them to go to their federal counterparts and come up with a strategy that can save our fleets, because this is a real threat to the coastal communities and fishing families that rely on regular, predictable access to salmon openings.

-7I would encourage those of you who are meeting with your own local MLA's this week to reference this meeting we had today in Victoria, with the provincial ministery of agriculture , and the ministery of forests, lands, and natural resource operations. We gave them a good handout that will educate them properly on the issue, if they actually read it and believe it.

I do not know how to judge the effect of these meetings. I guess it went well, in that we were well recieved and listened to, but I am not a politician and don't know what they can actually do to help us.

We made it very, very clear that we are willing to do anything to help solve the problem with steelhead, but since we are not the cause of the decline, there is nothing we can do directly to turn it around. Listing it as an endagered species won't help that fact.

-Ryan

Just thought I would share this slide because Its the first time i have seen the release number for steelhead in some net fisheries.

upload_2018-12-12_10-15-43.png

I’m sure that all the fish were released fine after getting into the gill nets....
78 fish killed out of a run of 250. I wonder what the actual number of steelhead was that truly got caught.

I’m sure that all the fish were released fine after getting into the gill nets....
78 fish killed out of a run of 250. I wonder what the actual number of steelhead was that truly got caught.

Not sure they never posted the commercial fishery by catch from sockeye fisheries and JS chum fisheries. However, I herd this year it was a condition of licence to document steelhead encounters in commercial fisheries.

Back