Steel newb

R

rico

So I was following the (steelhead spin cast) thread. I didnt want to hijack it so I started my own thread. Some very good info on that thread. I have been seriously thinking about getting into steelhead and river fishing for trout. I'm just kinda learning the ropes. Where would you guys recommend I go to get a rod and reel. I think I'm gonna try a level wind reel. I'm just lookin for entry level stuff. Overall, I'm a newb in all aspects of fishing(salt,fresh), but I lurk on here. I fish a few times a year, and rarely catch anything when I do, but I really enjoy it, and I am going to give it a good effort this year to get better.
I'm in Vic, but I don't have to buy down here. I can go to buy local, or to the shop in lake cowichan, I don't mind traveling. I don't mind a good deal on good quality used stuff, if the price is right.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL if the dog didn't pizz on the floor I would have beat ya to it holmes*

Well, must be a good deal! That's 2 replies in 5 mins. I'm gonna send him a PM. Thanks guys.

I sent him a PM. Hopefully he still has it. Bit more than I thought it would cost to get in, but then again, I had no idea. Hopefully I can get into some fish this year. I am really looking forward to learning and getting into the sport. May as well start off with the good stuff. I was also thinking of getting a guide for my first time out, just to learn the ropes a bit.

If I didn't have a bunch of kidlettes running around and Xmas coming up I would have been on that like a fat kid on a smarty.

rico, there are a bunch of guys that guide on the Stamp. It is a reasonable price and a reasonable drive from Vic and pretty darn good chance of playing with many steels. Break it down with some buds and you wont regret it.

You will have to remember that multiple fish days steelheading is more of a rarity than the norm. That first fish after a good long dry spell sure makes up for it though ;)

Thanks guys. I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums. I know that there is a lot to learn, and I look forward to it. Thanks for offering the help, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. I was thinking of trying the stamp. The rambling guy is the guy I had in mind. Do I want to drift it, or should I shore fish? I will always be shore fishing when I am on my own.

The calcutta will not disappoint ! load it up with some 50 lb power pro braided line and you got a nice setup that will cast across the Cowichan at high water. That rod should be pretty versatile, should be able to handle coho and springs- I have a lighter and shorter fenwick and I seem to manage some pretty decent springs on it - however I will be getting something abit stiffer for them when i have some spare cash - but the reel will handle anything ! X2 on the good deal ! hope its still around for ya

you dont want to get your first steelhead on a guided trip thats for a trip with your buddies or a present for a freind. you wont appreciate how good it is till you have caught a few hundred trees, rocks and maybe your buddies ear... and i would go with the drift boat, more enjoyable and affordable .....just my opinion

OoOoOo how I disagree with you Mr steelheader. I spent 3 season going up and down and all around the island looking for steel. I even got skunked on a zodiac trip on the stamp last year.

Until the clouds parted and the sun shone on me. I noticed the Rambling fisherman had a special going. Out came my wallet for one last chance and success I got my first 2 summer run steel hooked and reeled in my self. And one beauty cuttie hooked by -steelhead- and reeled in by me.

Now the real reason I believe in a guide is if you get a good one he will teach you the river from the boat so you can attempt to recreate it on your own.

just my 2c

That's a wonderful idea holmes. We did appreciate all your efforts but was unsure of I should post it. Not trying to be ungrateful.

met some of my best friends fishing..... i wanna learn the rivers as well, maybe one day try that steelheadin'..

Back