Status Of Sooke River Chinook Project

profisher

I cut and pasted this from the SVIAC site for those of you who aren't members or those who are but haven't been on the site for awhile. I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the progress and the present status of this important south island Chinook project. This is a project that every south island tidal water angler should be supporting as should any person that is concerned about the well being of our local resident killer whales, especially this years new borns.

NEW – Sooke River Chinook Salmon Initiative
i Mar 29th w No Comments x by Leigh Garrod
The SVIAC Board of Directors are both proud and pleased to announce we have now moved into the delivery phase of the Sooke River Chinook Revitalization Initiative (SRCRI). We have recently received approval in principal from DFO for SRCRI – Enhancement Component – Phase One, the out-planting of 500,000 Chinook smolts into temporary marine enclosures in the spring of 2017. Our smolt out-planting proposal has been approved in DFO by the Salmon Enhancement Program, the Stock Assessment Group and Fisheries and Aquaculture Management and has been included into the 2016/2017 draft salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan as part of the SEP production plan.

Additionally, SVIAC has recently submitted an application for grant funding to the Pacific Salmon Foundation to assist with the major equipment costs associated of the project. We are also purchasing the appropriate marine enclosure equipment in order to be ready. As the budget for year one of this phase is high, we really hope the angling community will help us raise funds for this excellent project. Watch for opportunities to support this initiative in the very near future!

Back